F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Not a dis or anything towards Alexis. - I think he is amazing, one of my favorite prospects with Quinton Byfield and few others.

Now, i might only watch the highlights of these games, but what ive paid a attention to this from last season on; when Alexis Lafreniére
scores a point, he isn't actually the player who initiates the plays nor do the hard work in the beginning in the transition face,
its mostly his line/team mates, who make the first key plays, as it were. Lafreniére is usually ending them by making key plays however,
but that said... into which ever NHL team he ends up with, he better end up in a line with a center and support winger that can drive
the play and have quality d-men with quality opening passes to the forwards, otherwise i predict troubles for his pro career.

Now obviously this is my observation, or opinion as it were.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Not a dis or anything towards Alexis. - I think he is amazing, one of my favorite prospects with Quinton Byfield and few others.

Now, i might only watch the highlights of these games, but what ive paid a attention to this from last season on; when Alexis Lafreniére
scores a point, he isn't actually the player who initiates the plays nor do the hard work in the beginning in the transition face,
its mostly his line/team mates, who make the first key plays, as it were. Lafreniére is usually ending them by making key plays however,
but that said... into which ever NHL team he ends up with, he better end up in a line with a center and support winger that can drive
the play and have quality d-men with quality opening passes to the forwards, otherwise i predict troubles for his pro career.

Are you trying to say you don’t think he’s a play driver?

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City

I don't really agree with that. Ex. goals 4 and 5 by Rimouski tonight were both started by a transition by Lafrenière from his own zone. Often that isn't shown in the highlights.

Anyway, aside from maybe Belliveau, Rimouski has no Dman that is really good in transition, so whenever that line is out there it's often Lafrenière managing play during that phase. One thing I'll grant though is that his effort in the defensive zone is pretty inconsistent; sometimes he's engaged, sometimes he'll just wait at the blueline for someone to get the puck. That's something he'll need to improve.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He had an excellent game off the puck last night. Every decision he makes results in a tough situation for the opponent. He’s such a hard worker so the turnovers seem high for the opponents when he’s on the ice. When the puck is on his stick, you can see him processing multiple options, both in open ice or off the cycle.

He’s as low maintenance as they come. If you haven’t seen him yet, costs seven bucks to watch a game online and it’s worth every cent.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Would love to see Rimouski add someone like Grouxl on forward or Bergeron on D to give Lafreniere some other elite talent to play with.

crazy that the top 3 scorers in the Q right now are all from Rimouski, essentially on the backs of Lafreniere.

Pare had a career high of 49pts before this season and Zavgorodniy, while a good player, wasn’t even PPG before this season. Give him a truly elite player to work with and you’ll see even more impressive stats.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I see a winger Eichel.

I don't. Eichel relies on his straight line speed, Lafreniere relies more on edges. Eichel has a significantly better one timer, Lafreniere is a significantly better stick handler. I've watched him live quite a few times, I don't see much Jack Eichel in Lafreniere, on either side of the rink.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Not at all. Eichel's greatest asset is his explosive speed. Alex isn't a great skater.

Lafreniere has great edges and agility, he can turn on a dime. His straight line speed leaves something to be desired, though, for sure.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Eichel skates a lot better, as did Hossa. I don't think there's a great comparison out there of any current NHL winger.

Hossa was sneaky fast, he didn't necessarily wow you with his straight line exolosiveness, but he could cut from the outside and protect the puck extremely well. Lafreniere is very similar in that regard.

He's never going to blow you away with his straight line speed, the skating ability is there, but it's just not something he typically relies on.

Reactions: Jesse86436

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Sure hes young, but a big winger with bad skating? If it''s easy to see how bad his skating is when hes skating against kids in a boy-league, I wonder how bad it'll look against grown men in the best league in the world... I dunno

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Sure hes young, but a big winger with bad skating? If it''s easy to see how bad his skating is when hes skating against kids in a boy-league, I wonder how bad it'll look against grown men in the best league in the world... I dunno

The myth that Alexis Lafreniere is a bad skater needs to die already. His edge work is fantastic, and his straight line speed is above average. He's a cerebral player who capitalizes on mistakes, not everybody plays like McDavid.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He is a very close comparable to Taylor Hall in more than one aspect but I think skating is one of the closer aspects. The way they generate speed and the lanes they take are very similar. The first thing that popped into my head watching him in his rookie year was that he plays a lot like Hall and the skating was the first thing I noticed.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
He is a very close comparable to Taylor Hall in more than one aspect but I think skating is one of the closer aspects. The way they generate speed and the lanes they take are very similar. The first thing that popped into my head watching him in his rookie year was that he plays a lot like Hall and the skating was the first thing I noticed.
Thank you for a great answer!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well, there seems to be some people that think so, but you go ahead being "that person" that hangs out on discussion-forums typing "lol" in your answers like its 1999.

You’re best to ignore anyone who says he’s a bad skater.

Skating isn’t his main asset, but it’s far from a detriment. He’s similar to guys like Hall or Tavares who aren’t elite skaters but it won’t hurt him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad