F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Does he have any glaring weaknesses to his game? How does skating, shot, physicality, etc. compare to past top prospects?

Nothing glaring. In fact, I don’t see anything wrong at all. Not yet at least. Knee-jerk critique for scorers is always “defense” which for young kids usually means effort or positioning but nobody can question Lafreniere in either.

Long, powerful stride+elite instincts=very good speed in open ice. Gets plenty of odd-man rushes per game. More north-south but once inside the zone he does not stop moving and is agile for his size. Be wary of any critiques on his skating because some feel if you’re not Bure, you’re “average”.

Highly competitive and physical in a clean way. Battles hard and accepts contact like Crosby but won’t always go for a massive hit or cheap stuff. Finishes his checks for sure.

Shot and release are elite. Scores from anywhere. Underrated slapper but his wrister explodes off his stick.

One of my favorite draft players to watch both live and on screen. Super smart, sick hands and vision, and such a great competitor.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does he have any glaring weaknesses to his game? How does skating, shot, physicality, etc. compare to past top prospects?

Glaring? No.

If there's a weakness, its compared to a 1OA type of candidate. He's more of a Tavares type of 1OA where he's very good offensively, but he's not the most exciting style of player there is, like a McDavid or Hughes.

He's at least an average skater and maybe slightly above-average. I don't think that'll be an issue in the NHL, but if you want to find a weakness, it's probably comparing his skating to another 1OA candidates. He doesn't have blazing speed.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Let's keep this on topic everybody.

Back to Lafreniere who I project to be better than Matthews but worse than Laine. Agree or disagree?

Your comment doesn't make sense as Matthews has been better than Laine so far in their careers.

For the record I think Lafreniere will be in the same ballpark of both players.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
23pts in 9 games and still putting a ton of shots on net (55).

Still have not seen one thing that points to him not being the obvious 1st overall pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jesse86436

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
23pts in 9 games and **** putting a ton of shots on net (55).

Still have not seen one thing that points to him not being the obvious 1st overall pick.

Yeah it's going to be tough for anyone to surpass him on consensus rankings at this point. It's all going to come down to which team picks first and what they want.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Nothing glaring. In fact, I don’t see anything wrong at all. Not yet at least. Knee-jerk critique for scorers is always “defense” which for young kids usually means effort or positioning but nobody can question Lafreniere in either.

Long, powerful stride+elite instincts=very good speed in open ice. Gets plenty of odd-man rushes per game. More north-south but once inside the zone he does not stop moving and is agile for his size. Be wary of any critiques on his skating because some feel if you’re not Bure, you’re “average”.

Highly competitive and physical in a clean way. Battles hard and accepts contact like Crosby but won’t always go for a massive hit or cheap stuff. Finishes his checks for sure.

Shot and release are elite. Scores from anywhere. Underrated slapper but his wrister explodes off his stick.

One of my favorite draft players to watch both live and on screen. Super smart, sick hands and vision, and such a great competitor.

Thanks for the critique. In your opinion where does he rank in the past five drafts? Would he have been considered a number one candidate in each of them?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thanks for the critique. In your opinion where does he rank in the past five drafts? Would he have been considered a number one candidate in each of them?

Well he’s tracking to be only the third pre-draft 2x CHL POY, joining Crosby and Tavares. He also dominated the Hlinka in his draft-1 and looked great at the WJSS so he’ll be a top-liner at the WJC. So that’s the big stuff on his resume to date.

I’d say he’s tied with Matthews right after McDavid.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Well he’s tracking to be only the third pre-draft 2x CHL POY, joining Crosby and Tavares. He also dominated the Hlinka in his draft-1 and looked great at the WJSS so he’ll be a top-liner at the WJC. So that’s the big stuff on his resume to date.

I’d say he’s tied with Matthews right after McDavid.

an arbitrary NHL date for the purposes of a pro draft has nothing to do with a international aged tournament. He was an '01 born player playing in a tournament for '01 born players. As 1 of the 3-4 best players in that particular tournament he should have dominated. and he did what was expected of him. I don't give him extra brownie points for that.

He falls way behind McDavid, and I'd probably still take Matthews and Dalhin ahead of him as well. If he had been born 3 weeks earlier and eligible with the rest of his '01 peers, I would have taken Hughes/Kakko before him. but he may prove that I was completely out to lunch on that call. TBD.

Reactions: tealhockey

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
an arbitrary NHL date for the purposes of a pro draft has nothing to do with a international aged tournament. He was an '01 born player playing in a tournament for '01 born players. As 1 of the 3-4 best players in that particular tournament he should have dominated. and he did what was expected of him. I don't give him extra brownie points for that.

He falls way behind McDavid, and I'd probably still take Matthews and Dalhin ahead of him as well. If he had been born 3 weeks earlier and eligible with the rest of his '01 peers, I would have taken Hughes/Kakko before him. but he may prove that I was completely out to lunch on that call. TBD.

I look at things differently.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Byfield is almost a year younger and has 18pts in 8 games. Between the size, position, and age, Byfield could steal if from him.

If Lafreniere goes 2oa it'll be because teams are more impressed with Byfield and not because of anything Lafreniere does or doesn't do.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Byfield is almost a year younger and has 18pts in 8 games. Between the size, position, and age, Byfield could steal if from him.

If Lafreniere goes 2oa it'll be because teams are more impressed with Byfield and not because of anything Lafreniere does or doesn't do.

Lafreniere was CHL player of the year at the same age and had a MUCH better 16yo season as well.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah it's going to be tough for anyone to surpass him on consensus rankings at this point. It's all going to come down to which team picks first and what they want.

I think the 2 teams picking 1 and 2 will be very happy much like in the 2004 draft, and thank god the rest of the draft looks much better than the rest of that 04 year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

If you want to go there, same age(2 month difference):
Lafreniere 105 points in 61 games

Byfield 18 points in 8 games, for now

Of course, if you ignore the age difference and the position, you could think that way.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Considering the age gap, a 16 year old 80pt season and a 16 year old 60pt season isn't a great tell.

How exactly is that not a great tell? One very rarely ever happens, and a PPG 16yo season happens basically every season.

We’ll see if Byfield can be CHL player of the year and make team Canada like Lafreniere did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad