F Alexis Lafreniere - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2020 Draft) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
1431915219589610126.jpg

You guys are like 2-3 good draft picks away from going from trash to being good. Let me be lol. But if we're postulating, another good D and a 1C along with Lafreniere would be huge. I'm really high on Chabot.

Reactions: Dominance

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
crazy he's scoring at a torrid pace while shooting at below 10%. Players like him usually score around the 20%. Bergevin needs to trade half the team and draft him somehow

He's in the Matthews tier of 1st overalls if not potentially better. Great skill, good mobility (and will only improve with professional NHL training) and generates shots like crazy. I don't even like projecting potential because a lot can change, but this dude is going to be a monster. The Atlantic is already a bloodbath with Toronto, Tampa and (the admittedly aging) Boston. Adding Ottawa or Montreal in to that would be hilarious.

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
He's in the Matthews tier of 1st overalls if not potentially better. Great skill, good mobility (and will only improve with professional NHL training) and generates shots like crazy. I don't even like projecting potential because a lot can change, but this dude is going to be a monster. The Atlantic is already a bloodbath with Toronto, Tampa and (the admittedly aging) Boston. Adding Ottawa or Montreal in to that would be hilarious.

Lots of people sleeping on him as a prospect. Anyone who thinks he isn't a matthews/kane level prospect is out to lunch. I think I mentioned it in this thread but Timmins himself (habs head scout) has said that Lafreniere is the Matthews tier

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Lots of people sleeping on him as a prospect. Anyone who thinks he isn't a matthews/kane level prospect is out to lunch. I think I mentioned it in this thread but Timmins himself (habs head scout) has said that Lafreniere is the Matthews tier

Yeah, Matthews has 50-50 potential if he stays healthy. Lafreniere has similar potential if not better depending on his production this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You guys are like 2-3 good draft picks away from going from trash to being good. Let me be lol. But if we're postulating, another good D and a 1C along with Lafreniere would be huge. I'm really high on Chabot.

Wouldn't most teams be quite a bit better with another 1C and a good Dman and a prospect like Lafreniere?

upload_2019-10-5_15-54-10.jpeg

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

How can lots of people be sleeping on the guy ranked as the consensus #1 for the upcoming draft?

He can't be ranked any higher than one can he?

Reactions: shello and Lil Bert

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How can lots of people be sleeping on the guy ranked as the consensus #1 for the upcoming draft?

I think it’s from posters saying Byfield is better or it’s 50/50... when in reality, right now it’s not all that close.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think it’s from posters saying Byfield is better or it’s 50/50... when in reality, right now it’s not all that close.

Right now they really are that close the next rankings to come out will reflect that IMO.

Also the reality is that center is a much more desirable position by GM's we see teams like Montreal, Phoenix and Buffalo "reaching for centers in recent years.

Byfield's physical attributes and 2 way play don't hurt his case either.

The way I see it is that it's a 1A and 1B situation for both guys.

Some teams, like my Canucks would probably take Lafreniere not only because of his skill set but also because they are set at center with EP40 and Horvat.

The Maple Leafs would also take the winger as well.

Reactions: cheesehead9099

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Wouldn't most teams be quite a bit better with another 1C and a good Dman and a prospect like Lafreniere?

View attachment 260995

1. They don't have a 1C.
2. I am talking about a top 4 D, not another elite D.
3. Yes, but I was speaking about him as a building piece. Ala...

Tkachuk - 1C - Lafreniere as a first line with Chabot and another top 4 D added to their team core. This is just my inner manager coming out.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Only the metro teams win the lottery. No matter where they finish.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Center or not, Montreal will pick Lafreniere if given the opportunity. Over Byfield.

Except that Lafrenière has ''Ottawa'' written all over him right now, not ''Montreal''. It is entirely possible that the Canadiens miss the playoffs again this year but there is no way we're getting a top-3 pick unless we have great luck at the draft lottery or absolutely terrible luck with injuries.

Alexis Lafrenière would look real good in a Habs sweater though, I'll give you that. Hendrix Lapierre would be an excellent grab too and Byfield even more so.

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018

Pretty obvious what he meant...

This kid is something else. Intelligent sniper who is shooting at a career low clip and still producing at a dominant rate. I agree that Byfield is creeping up on him, but Laf has not wavered at all and I would think still holds the consensus pole position.

For what feels like the first time in a long time, Canada is in for a treat and I love it. This is going to be a fun year. Can’t wait for WJC.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

This kid is something else. Intelligent sniper who is shooting at a career low clip and still producing at a dominant rate. I agree that Byfield is creeping up on him, but Laf has not wavered at all and I would think still holds the consensus pole position.

For what feels like the first time in a long time, Canada is in for a treat and I love it. This is going to be a fun year. Can’t wait for WJC.
You’re going to love the 2022 draft.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Was 2018 ancient history? I was treated to a pretty special team and a few special players and a gold medal that year. I look forward to the WJC every year.

Reactions: Anardil

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
Was 2018 ancient history? I was treated to a pretty special team and a few special players and a gold medal that year. I look forward to the WJC every year.

What? I was talking about Canada. Though i also look forward to the WJC every year, I meant I can’t wait this year specifically because of Byfield and Lafreniere.

You’re going to love the 2022 draft.

Ha True. 2023 draft is also looking bright with Fantilli, Bedard, and Yager. Amazing start to the decade for Canadian prospects.

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
What? I was talking about Canada. Though i also look forward to the WJC every year, I meant I can’t wait this year specifically because of Byfield and Lafreniere.

Ha True. 2023 draft is also looking bright with Fantilli, Bedard, and Yager. Amazing start to the decade for Canadian prospects.

So was I. 2018 World Juniors. Team Canada. pretty special team. I was treated to a gold medal performance.

and if you are counting on Byfield being there this year you may be disappointed. Hockey Canada has a long history of leaving high profile undrafted 17 year olds at home.

I hope he makes it, but not counting on it. given Hockey Canada's track record.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
So was I. 2018 World Juniors. Team Canada. pretty special team. I was treated to a gold medal performance.

and if you are counting on Byfield being there this year you may be disappointed. Hockey Canada has a long history of leaving high profile undrafted 17 year olds at home.

I hope he makes it, but not counting on it. given Hockey Canada's track record.

Ah my bad, i read that as 2019, sorry. That team was good but not great IMO. But gold is gold so I guess it was pretty special.

I think they will have no choice if he keeps dominating. If Lawson Crouse can crack the roster of the best WJC team of the decade, I believe Byfield has a great chance to crack this years squad. It could be the only year he has to play there as I suspect he will be in the NHL next year. Though I do agree that nothing is guaranteed and we will have to wait and see.

Reactions: Jesse86436

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Ah my bad, i read that as 2019, sorry. That team was good but not great IMO. But gold is gold so I guess it was pretty special.

I think they will have no choice if he keeps dominating. If Lawson Crouse can crack the roster of the best WJC team of the decade, I believe Byfield has a great chance to crack this years squad. It could be the only year he has to play there as I suspect he will be in the NHL next year. Though I do agree that nothing is guaranteed and we will have to wait and see.

I agree with you, but LC was put in a role which he could easily fill...big body, decent skater limited minutes secondary role not counted on much to provide much offense. and he didn't. that is to say he played his role well. The problem with Byfield is HC will put him into something of a similar role, like they did with MacKinnon when he was 17, limited minutes on the wing, down the lineup, and it often doesn't work out too well. How was Lafreniere last year? I chuckled at Craig Button before the tournament predicting Lafreniere would dominate. I said Lafreniere wouldn't get more than 4pts. and he didn't even hit those lofty numbers.

I'd take Byfield on the team and I'd give him 2 big fast highly skilled 19 year old linemates 1 natural winger and another center, and tell them you're my 3rd. line. (depending of course the final lineup who is available come Dec. 12) and would not deviate it from it. sink or swim. too often the coach overeats to the 1st. mistake and buries the 17 year old down the lineup. If they take him, give him the role he's accustomed to and stick with it. that would be my advice.

If Byfield does make it, and HC follows the same pattern, then he'll probably have the same sort of impact as MacKinnon/Lafreniere before him. I wouldn't be expecting much from him.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Also the reality is that center is a much more desirable position by GM's we see teams like Montreal, Phoenix and Buffalo "reaching for centers in recent years.

I'd take Byfield on the team and I'd give him 2 big fast highly skilled 19 year old linemates 1 natural winger and another center,

Not specific to Lafreniere. But I read so many comments that make hockey sound like baseball in that each player "lines up" in a position. In reality it is more like basketball which is fluid because of its constant motion. At some point a team is going to figure out that having three "centers" on the same line is optimal. What I mean by that is having three forwards who can all skate, shoot, pass, defend, and most importantly process the game at speed. Think of the best basketball teams this past decade—very few had a true center or true point guard. Players could play both transition and isolation.

When that situation occurs in hockey (I am convinced it eventually will), players will be judged on their impact and not their role.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not specific to Lafreniere. But I read so many comments that make hockey sound like baseball in that each player "lines up" in a position. In reality it is more like basketball which is fluid because of its constant motion. At some point a team is going to figure out that having three "centers" on the same line is optimal. What I mean by that is having three forwards who can all skate, shoot, pass, defend, and most importantly process the game at speed. Think of the best basketball teams this past decade—very few had a true center or true point guard. Players could play both transition and isolation.

When that situation occurs in hockey (I am convinced it eventually will), players will be judged on their impact and not their role.

I think most teams would love to have 12 natural centers on the ice but they are limited be what they can obtain.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
As of now, how many of the consensus top 3 or so forwards from the last few drafts would go ahead of Lafreniere if Don Cherry had a time machine and they all became eligible for the exact same draft?

We know how most of these players have progressed, but try to think about it as they were perceived leading up to their draft.

Hughes/Kakko/Dach
Svechnikov/Zadina/B.Tkachuk
Hischier/Patrick/Pettersson
Matthews/Laine/Puljujarvi
McDavid/Eichel/Strome
Ekblad/Reinhart/Bennett
MacKinnon/Barkov/Drouin
Yakupov/Galchenyuk

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad