F Aito Iguchi - Saitama Warriors, Japan (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Doesn't have any heart condition as I'm aware of

Average height of a male of Asian descent is 3 inches shorter than that of a North American. I just dont see it with him. Again, great story, but people thinking he is going to get drafted in the first few rounds are so out to lunch. Maybe late rounds as a charity pick. And yes, that kind of stuff happens

Reactions: Voodoozz

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Imagine being hyped to bits by this Board, now being 16 and just 5 feet 2 inches, and not even playing in the CHL, USHL...

All jokes aside, what has this kid done to make him potentially interesting for professional hockey teams? Just a child wonderkid with no future in the NHL.

Last edited:

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Imagine being hyped to bits by this Board, now being 16 and just 5 feet 2 inches, and not even playing n the CHL, USHL...

All jokes aside, what has this kid done to make him potentially interesting for professional hockey teams? Just a child wonderkid with no future in the NHL.
you can blame pavel barber

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 2.34.52 AM.png

Japan vs. Great Britain in 1 month

Ando & Iguchi will both be there. I wonder how many of the people with a weird hate for a 16 year old kid will actually watch the game before jumping to conclusions?

Reactions: irunthepeg

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I don't see much hate for the kid. More for posters who went way overboard.

There are people literally getting satisfaction out of saying "I told you so" based on where these kids are playing at 16.

That is an incredibly weird mindset to have.

The kid is 16. That would be like writing off Alexander Texier because he was playing France U18 as a 16 year old :huh:

We also have a great comparable in Mathias Emilio Pettersen who came over to North America and still had a ton of detractors despite playing in the USHL at 16. Realistically it didn't matter where Aito was, some of you would have had your minds made up.

One of the most ironic parts of all of this is that ijuka made a thread for Aron Kiviharju based on a few clips and stats. Apparently you can only watch videos of impressive kids from certain countries :rolleyes:

Reactions: wetcoast

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
There are people literally getting satisfaction out of saying "I told you so" based on where these kids are playing at 16.

That is an incredibly weird mindset to have.
It's actually completely normal (when a bunch of people go extremely overboard and overhype a prospect) for others to roll their eyes, point out how dumb the overhyping is and come back later to say I told you so (again to the POSTERS. You seem to think it's horrible to point out when posters were wrong to overhype a prospect way too early).

I have no dog in this fight but this feels like people trying to claim some kind of win by making up some kind of lame moral high ground

And I have the finnish fanboys on ignore. If your only complaint is about guys like Ijuka then that makes more sense but you should relegate your comment to them bc they are not representative of normal posters.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's actually completely normal (when a bunch of people go extremely overboard and overhype a prospect) for others to roll their eyes, point out how dumb the overhyping is and come back later to say I told you so (again to the POSTERS. You seem to think it's horrible to point out when posters were wrong to overhype a prospect way too early).

I have no dog in this fight but this feels like people trying to claim some kind of win by making up some kind of lame moral high ground

And I have the finnish fanboys on ignore. If your only complaint is about guys like Ijuka then that makes more sense but you should relegate your comment to them bc they are not representative of normal posters.

Lets be real, there are 40 pages of this thread and most of it is people pooing on the videos :laugh: even most of the compliments are qualified with a "but he's in Japan" or "but he has to move to NA" or "but he's 11" or something along those lines.

You would be hard pressed to find serious posts of people actually overhyping him. At most you'll find people acknowledging his skill and maybe defending a pre-teen from unfair criticism.

And declaring a win just because we haven't seen a new video in 6 months probably isn't the best idea either. Again to use Texier as an example, only a small group of people that actually watch D1A U18s would have even heard of him at 16.

So like I said earlier, there's a game/tournament 1 month from now where people will actually get to see full games of him playing internationally. The fact there are people that come here to declare their win and say "I told you so" based on 0 videos and him playing in Japan at 16, proves my point he has haters lol I doubt they'll even tune into the games next month to see how he stacks up against some USHL & NAHL players.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Lets be real, there are 40 pages of this thread and most of it is people pooing on the videos :laugh: even most of the compliments are qualified with a "but he's in Japan" or "but he has to move to NA" or "but he's 11" or something along those lines.

You would be hard pressed to find serious posts of people actually overhyping him. At most you'll find people acknowledging his skill and maybe defending a pre-teen from unfair criticism.

And declaring a win just because we haven't seen a new video in 6 months probably isn't the best idea either. Again to use Texier as an example, only a small group of people that actually watch D1A U18s would have even heard of him at 16.

So like I said earlier, there's a game/tournament 1 month from now where people will actually get to see full games of him playing internationally. The fact there are people that come here to declare their win and say "I told you so" based on 0 videos and him playing in Japan at 16, proves my point he has haters lol I doubt they'll even tune into the games next month to see how he stacks up against some USHL & NAHL players.

I just see you alluding to vague boogeymen. I've checked in on this thread many, many times and I haven't seen what you're alluding to to any significant degree.

What I DID keep seeing was people complaining bc there were too many negative comments celebrating bc a 16 year old failed.

So I don't see the "Yay a 16 year old failed" comment.

I do see multiple comments complaining about the "yay" comments being all over this thread

So finally I got to yours and I'm just like "OK time to question this bc I'm not seeing the evidence."

Not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that based on what's actually in the thread I'm just not seeing what you are. it's a big thread, I can accept I maybe missed it. Or...when you mentioned ijuka I did point out that some people are on ignore for me so that might explain the disparity here

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

We've had people say he's better than Nathan Gerbe at the same age only a year ago. A tiny player who was able to play in the USHL at 15 for a player they've primarily just watched youtube videos of. We also see a ton of backlash to anyone questioning the kids ability.

This is probably why this site shouldn't allow threads on kids before they are 15 or so. They are usually a mess, and I don't see anything constructive on them really. Kids shouldn't get threads on this site before they are old enough to be allowed to post on it.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
We've had people say he's better than Nathan Gerbe at the same age only a year ago. A tiny player who was able to play in the USHL at 15 for a player they've primarily just watched youtube videos of. We also see a ton of backlash to anyone questioning the kids ability.

This is probably why this site shouldn't allow threads on kids before they are 15 or so. They are usually a mess, and I don't see anything constructive on them really. Kids shouldn't get threads on this site before they are old enough to be allowed to post on it.

"backlash" ? You mean people disagreeing with that opinion?

You bring up this 1 Gerbe example. I can bring up 20+ examples of people saying "This kid would never last in Canadian AAA" despite the fact that every Canadian Midget AAA league has multiple players this size or smaller playing, that possess way less skill.

I love how this was kicked off by saying "He will be playing actual full games at an international tournament that people can watch" but even that is turned into people complaining about the "overhype" :skeptic:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
"backlash" ? You mean people disagreeing with that opinion?

You bring up this 1 Gerbe example. I can bring up 20+ examples of people saying "This kid would never last in Canadian AAA" despite the fact that every Canadian Midget AAA league has multiple players this size or smaller playing, that possess way less skill.

I love how this was kicked off by saying "He will be playing actual full games at an international tournament that people can watch" but even that is turned into people complaining about the "overhype" :skeptic:
You know, maybe remember what you also said in that comment. You call people who don't think he'll make it haters, acting like they aren't acting on decent information, and then wonder why you get a negative response? You say people have "weird hate for a 16-year-old" for saying they don't think he'll make it to the NHL based on his size and the fact he still isn't playing serious competition. People are talking about a hockey prospect on a hockey website. People saying they don't think a 5'2 player who isn't playing in a league that hasn't produced an NHLer ever is going to make the league isn't hate. It is an opinion.

You say me calling it "backlash" is just people having a different opinion fine. Maybe don't label people who have a different opinion than you haters, and you might be able to find a middle-ground.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
This might be the lamest derailment of the Aito Iguchi thread to date.

Someone is complaining over the word "haters" as if people aren't coming in here to get their jollies about Iguchi not playing in NA as if that is definitive proof of... anything? If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you.

Everyone is working with the same videos. Making a definitive statement 1 way or the other is premature, which is why the tournament next month will give us a slightly better understanding of where he actually is. Just like anyone that watched Japan at the U18s got a better understanding of where Ando was. Granted I'm sure if he does well, people will have a list of reasons why that showing was irrelevant too.

If you're basing everything off his height & birthplace, you're already a decade behind.

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland

Someone is complaining over the word "haters" as if people aren't coming in here to get their jollies about Iguchi not playing in NA as if that is definitive proof of... anything? If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply to you.

Everyone is working with the same videos. Making a definitive statement 1 way or the other is premature, which is why the tournament next month will give us a slightly better understanding of where he actually is. Just like anyone that watched Japan at the U18s got a better understanding of where Ando was. Granted I'm sure if he does well, people will have a list of reasons why that showing was irrelevant too.

If you're basing everything off his height & birthplace, you're already a decade behind.

Yes but according to EP, Iguchi isnt playing hockey at all this year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Personally, I think it's much more logical to assume a player wont make it to NHL until they show they're capable of doing so. After all, about 99.999% of players don't make it. Also, it's extremely for a player to not play any relevant hockey until their draft year to be an actual draft prospect. Then he's very tiny as well, so he'd need to be a super special player, which I don't think he is.

I honestly don't get the logic in believing that when people say they don't think he will be an NHL prospect, they're haters. Personally, I simply think he's not going to be very good. But of course, with his style of play, he'd be entertaining to watch, so I don't get why I would wish for him to fail - after all, I'm a big fan of Japan and I think it'd be good for hockey to have some star players in Japan as well. That doesn't change the fact that I don't think he's a relevant NHL prospect.

Reactions: Newfoundland

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Personally, I think it's much more logical to assume a player wont make it to NHL until they show they're capable of doing so. After all, about 99.999% of players don't make it. Also, it's extremely for a player to not play any relevant hockey until their draft year to be an actual draft prospect. Then he's very tiny as well, so he'd need to be a super special player, which I don't think he is.

I honestly don't get the logic in believing that when people say they don't think he will be an NHL prospect, they're haters. Personally, I simply think he's not going to be very good. But of course, with his style of play, he'd be entertaining to watch, so I don't get why I would wish for him to fail - after all, I'm a big fan of Japan and I think it'd be good for hockey to have some star players in Japan as well. That doesn't change the fact that I don't think he's a relevant NHL prospect.

So I guess if I go in every prospect thread and say "He'll never make the NHL" I'm a genius because 99.99% of players don't make it.

And I'll go back every once in a while to say "I told you so" because I made such a bold prediction.

Yes but according to EP, Iguchi isnt playing hockey at all this year.

This is just a full on yikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad