GDT: Extremely high effort I promise this isn't an Emergency GDT - Avalanche vs Kraken Game 4.

Nukes return date?

• Game 5

Votes: 10 16.1%

Votes: 18 29.0%

Votes: 6 9.7%

Votes: 28 45.2%

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He's a scrub. Looks like he is going to be a classic case of "productive player on bad team" but can't play on a good team.

The Avs should not commit a penny to him this Summer.
The Avs really need to do a better job of evaluating how players actually fit on their teams. Their pro scouts do a great job of finding guys that fit on the team outside of their own, but it doesn't seem like they do any internal evaluations. There's no reason to hold onto Jost or Newhook for as long as they did/have based off their ill-fit for the club

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Surely even someone as incompetent as Parros wouldn't actually suspend Makar, right? I didn't think that was even a possibility when the play happened.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe they win this series, but that's as far as this group goes. The forward depth is a joke.
This is precisely why I wouldnt be upset if Seattle won sadly. This is probably the first time I havent cared about a series since the Anaheim series. So lets say the Avs somehow do beat the Kraken. Whats the prize? Minny or Dallas? Yah no thanks. I rather they get the extra few weeks time off to relax and come back fresher and hopefully not injured in October. I said it when the season started that this core earned a mulligan after the 16-4 run they had to the cup.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hes getting atleast 1 game no doubt. I hope Cale turns heel from here on out. No more Ryu its time to become Akuma.

He's too nice. He could barely handle the boos and spent the first bunch of shifts getting rid of the puck ASAP.

As usual, it'll have to be MacKinnon. He'll be the one showing up to the game in a "**** George Parros" shirt.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Surely even someone as incompetent as Parros wouldn't actually suspend Makar, right? I didn't think that was even a possibility when the play happened.
Lmao bro when I saw the hit I immediately thought that's a suspension.

He KILLED McCann and the puck was nowhere in sight while sending the guy to the 5th dimension.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Regardless of how this series plays out the Avs have more issues than just injuries. Addressing team depth is going to be very difficult with their cap constraints. Best hope is that they can move either a Manson (he has a NMC, but I suspect he'd return to Anaheim) or Girard for prospects or picks to some team looking to reach the cap floor.

I still think they defeat Seattle but this team looks worn out physically and mentally.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's too nice. He could barely handle the boos and spent the first bunch of shifts getting rid of the puck ASAP.

As usual, it'll have to be MacKinnon. He'll be the one showing up to the game in a "**** George Parros" shirt.
He needs to get over that. A guy who hits the way he does clean as it were is never going to be liked by the opp. It was eventually going to happen. Kinda funny he had a dream the night before he was going to get booed and then it happened. He also probably dreamt the Avs lost the series but he left that part out.

They played like they knew Nuke was not returning.
Nuke probably going into the sober program if the reports are true. Hope he recovers and gets back to hockey.

Regardless of how this series plays out the Avs have more issues than just injuries. Addressing team depth is going to be very difficult with their cap constraints. Best hope is that they can move either a Manson (he has a NMC, but I suspect he'd return to Anaheim) or Girard for prospects or picks to some team looking to reach the cap floor.

I still think they defeat Seattle but this team looks worn out physically and mentally.
True. Depth is a huge problem and the injures masturbate the issue even further.

Reactions: dahrougem2

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
He needs to get over that. A guy who hits the way he does clean as it were is never going to be liked by the opp. It was eventually going to happen. Kinda funny he had a dream the night before he was going to get booed and then it happened. He also probably dreamt the Avs lost the series but he left that part out.

Nuke probably going into the sober program if the reports are true. Hope he recovers and gets back to hockey.

True. Depth is a huge problem and the injures masturbate the issue even further.
Did I miss something?

Edit : ah, I see now. Wonder if Daters report of fire department “call of aid” is related

Last edited:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Once again, it is the job of the on ice officials to call penalties for rules infractions and to protect the safety of the players. Their failure to do so in the first instance led to the second.

Last night the officials lost control of the game with the BS call on Nieto a minute into the game.
You mean the one where a vet like eberle sees Nieto coming at him (twice turned to see where he was) and then STILL decided to turn into the boards?

Yeah, that was terrible and a real shitty call.

I won't be surprised if Makar gets 3 games. I'm not even joking when I suggest that the actual cost of a franchise in $$$$ comes with a non-verbal agreement with bettman that they'll get some sort of preferential treatment - wink-wink-nudge-nudge - when it comes to these types of situations so that they can make a long run and get the franchise anchored-in the right way.

One could argue that the Atlanta Thrashers inability to make a significant playoff run because they sucked too bad led to their departure to Winnipeg which is probably a black mark on his record that gary really regrets. Had they been able to energize the fan base at all, maybe they would have been able to stay and that's a market that bettman really wanted to be successful.

It kind of sucks to just lay it out in that way but when you really think about it, I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case. Besides, VGK has been getting that kind of favoristism ever since they came into the league and the kraken would have gotten it last year too but they sucked too much to even make the playoffs so here we are.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Yes, I'm a Makar homer, so maybe this is my burgundy glasses.

But there's a few things going in his favor.

1: The initial on-ice call (or lackthereof)
2: The 5 minute major review reduced to a 2 minute minor
3: No whistle on the play (it is fair to assume he thought the puck was still in play and he followed McCann into the corner incorrectly assuming the puck had come down there)
4: No history of being dirty and you could see him having a really good, civil talk with the referee before he entered the box
5: No response from the Kraken players - usually dirty play result in scrums and 'revenge'

Obviously, knowing all the facts - the puck was out of play especially, this is a really bad really late hit, but I don't for a nanosecond think Makar actually knew where the puck was, so he kept playing to the whistle.

I'm hoping for a fine, expecting 1 game, and will be very surprised and disappointed if it is any more than that.

The outcome was obviously really unfortunate and I hope McCann isn't out for long.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

3: No whistle on the play (it is fair to assume he thought the puck was still in play and he followed McCann into the corner incorrectly assuming the puck had come down there)
4: No history of being dirty and you could see him having a really good, civil talk with the referee before he entered the box
5: No response from the Kraken players - usually dirty play result in scrums and 'revenge'

Obviously, knowing all the facts - the puck was out of play especially, this is a really bad really late hit, but I don't for a nanosecond think Makar actually knew where the puck was, so he kept playing to the whistle.

I'm hoping for a fine, expecting 1 game, and will be very surprised and disappointed if it is any more than that.

The outcome was obviously really unfortunate and I hope McCann isn't out for long.
Brother Jared McCann was knocked into next month. We aren't seeing that guy the rest of this series.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

How much of this was not known before deciding to have a hearing? Everyone of those were either talking points last night or evident by watching. So why even have the hearing? Who believes the punishment isn't already decided?

That it was scheduled so early in the day can't be good because that suggests they're eager to punish and that it might also be an emotional reaction (ie seeing Burgundy).

Reactions: niwotsblessing

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Brother Jared McCann was knocked into next month. We aren't seeing that guy the rest of this series.

McCann got lit up in multiple games this series. I hope for his sake that the severity of the wasn't related to multiple blows to the head in a short time span.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
My sense is that Makar will be suspended which will cost the Avs any chance of winning this series.

I'm going to get all @Sea Eagles here, but we do have an excellent record without Makar this year, including wins over playoff teams.

And then there's the Round 1 MacKinnon factor, especially with him coming off of a goose egg in Game 4.

Reactions: Mules

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
They shouldn't even bother trying to elevate the 2nd line at this point. They should just put Lehkonnen, MacKinnon, and Rantanen on the top line and live with it. This might be their best chance. But if you're going to expect MacKinnon and Rantanen to do it all, you might as well let them help each other.

Leave the depth players to fend for themselves. Sink or swim. Earn your keep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad