GDT: Extreme Emergency GDT Avs @ Preds 03/02/24

Bowe Byrum

Nov 22, 2021
I like him, but wouldn't you think after this season the Sabres org. would not just give him away? Levi has been disappointing, we can discuss the upside all day long but the fact is UPL is the better goalie now.

Besides, what would it cost? I just don't think improving from Georgiev is all that realistic. We have bigger issues than him. I didn't watch the game last night, but if you lose by a score of 5-1, there are other issues besides the goalie.
oh I know Buffalo wouldn't do it. Levi isn't an NHL goalie and will never be any but a backup

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
oh I know Buffalo wouldn't do it. Levi isn't an NHL goalie and will never be any but a backup
There are better goalies available than Georgiev, I'm not saying that. But what would it cost to acquire them, and what would it cost in cap space? I don't think it's realistic.

Georgiev is what we are going with. Getting a legit backup for him, I wouldn't mind. We need to focus on our actual skaters, especially the forward group. I frankly find it bizarre that we are discussing Georgiev in a 5-1 defeat. You don't usually win by scoring 1 goal a game. And if you are saying they would've scored more if they had a better goalie, then please. It might help on some level, but that's not the reason.

Reactions: Bowe Byrum

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
This upcoming week and TDL will decide the fate of this team this season.

If it ends in another failure, this team, as it stands right now, is going nowhere and another exit in Round 1 or, if they can somehow beat Dallas, in Round 2, is inevitable.

THis team is simple not a contender with such holes on the roster.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Would y’all call the Capitols GM and offer RyJo for Kutznetsov (50% retained)?

I probably would. Might fix our 2C problem. Same AAV and term in the scenario above.

Nuke playing with Kuznetsov seems interesting. Their off ice chemistry would surely concern me though.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I've not finished watching yet but at 4-1 the shots are 35-23

If you're outshot that badly on the road and get one goal it's not really the goalie's fault.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It wasn't a bad change, Byram had been stuck out on the PK for 1:30, he was absolutely gassed.

Kiviranta had nobody around him in the corner with the puck and cleared it right to the Preds, then Toews made way too soft a clear instead of hammering it down ice, which allowed Saros to play the puck to Novak, and prevent Bo from changing again.

And that was the second shift in a row he got stuck out there. He got stuck out there for 1:42 the shift before, after Kiviranta failed to get the puck deep, and then Girard iced the puck.

Bo had been playing a really great game up until that point. I hope everyone noticed all the great little plays he made under pressure to breakup plays, and get the puck out of the D zone to jump start rushes. If not, I can clip them out tomorrow to show them?
I guess that's one way to look at it. Another would be that if one of your D-Man can clear the puck all the way down the ice AND you got a guy who's gassed - he should get his f***ing ass OFF the ice instead of dogging it to the bench.

C'mon man, it's pretty bad that you'd try to put that play on the back of the guy who actually managed to get the puck out of the zone. Saros made a great play and Byram made the decision to go back out there and played it like garbage.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Would y’all call the Capitols GM and offer RyJo for Kutznetsov (50% retained)?

I probably would. Might fix our 2C problem. Same AAV and term in the scenario above.

Nuke playing with Kuznetsov seems interesting. Their off ice chemistry would surely concern me though.
No....

Reactions: AslanRH

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I would try to see what Anaheim is willing to do with John Gibson. Dostal has been really good for them, and I still believe there's a good goalie in Gibson who has simply given up playing behind a trash Ducks roster for years.
That's a tough deal to make. You could be right but if you're wrong, you've got him for 3 more years after this one making almost double what Georgiev is making.

Merzlikins has the same contract term left but is a little cheaper at $5.4m per. He may be a better option especially when you consider how long he's been mentored by Boone Jenner.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
After a good nights sleep and now on my way to a game in LA…I’m still absolutely f***ing pissed off RyJo had “fun” last night
It’s really surprising to me that not only pro scouts and CMac screwed up as far as RyJo not being a stylistic fit for the Avs, but didn’t they talk to him, or didn’t they know his state of mind which is the guy just doesn’t care. Avs known to only go for high character guys, players who work hard and would fit in. This is just a massive screw up for this organization

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It’s really surprising to me that not only pro scouts and CMac screwed up as far as RyJo not being a stylistic fit for the Avs, but didn’t they talk to him, or didn’t they know his state of mind which is the guy just doesn’t care. Avs known to only go for high character guys, players who work hard and would fit in. This is just a massive screw up for this organization
Even if they had talked to him what do you expect Ryjo would have said: "You sure you want me? I don't work hard anymore and I don't really care about winning the SC. I play my 15 sec shift and that is all I care as long as I get my paycheck."

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA

My guess this was them thinking they could get more out of a player like they did with Nuke, Bura, Drouin. They underestimated RyJo intent to not give a f***.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Even if they had talked to him what do you expect Ryjo would have said: "You sure you want me? I don't work hard anymore and I don't really care about winning the SC. I play my 15 sec shift and that is all I care as long as I get my paycheck."
I mean even when he’s talking, he sounds lazy. Surely someone would have noticed that if they talked to him

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This is actually what was in MacFarland's head when the opportunity to acquire Johansen was presented to him:

1709491391574.png

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I did not watch the game except for the third period and turned it off after the 4th goal. How the hell do you allow Cody Glass to get a hattrick on you?

I'm not really going to blame Byram for the 4th goal per se, but the problem I'm noticing from him is that he has back FAR TOO often when trying to defend, especially away from the puck. Look at Predators 1st and 4th goals, he has no effin clue where the puck is. Just lost, trying to cover his man. Not even Graves was that inept when defending.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Welp I'm actually glad I didn't get to watch this one. Sounds like we played like shit and the usual suspects played like shit.

Sounds like Byram had rough night. Simply put it's put up or get the f*** out time for him for him. Too many nights he just isn't even close. Playing a good game here and there isn't helping anyone.

George sucks, we won't win a damn thing with him getting the majority of the starts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I guess that's one way to look at it. Another would be that if one of your D-Man can clear the puck all the way down the ice AND you got a guy who's gassed - he should get his f***ing ass OFF the ice instead of dogging it to the bench.

C'mon man, it's pretty bad that you'd try to put that play on the back of the guy who actually managed to get the puck out of the zone. Saros made a great play and Byram made the decision to go back out there and played it like garbage.

That's not a reasonable thing to blame Byram for.

If he hadn’t turned back, you’d be rightfully blaming him for giving up a breakaway on the PK. He’s tied up with George about 1:25 into his shift, and that was a very quick up from Saros. It’s not like he could speed off ice at 24 mph while he's gassed.

Toews didn't, "clear the puck all the way down ice." That's the problem. It's too soft, and went off the boards to center ice, which allowed Saros to come out of his net to play the puck quickly. If he hammered it down ice, Saros would have had to play it behind the net, and everyone could have changed.

Kiviranta's clearing attempt before that was worse though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I did not watch the game except for the third period and turned it off after the 4th goal. How the hell do you allow Cody Glass to get a hattrick on you?

I'm not really going to blame Byram for the 4th goal per se, but the problem I'm noticing from him is that he has back FAR TOO often when trying to defend, especially away from the puck. Look at Predators 1st and 4th goals, he has no effin clue where the puck is. Just lost, trying to cover his man. Not even Graves was that inept when defending.

The 1st goal Byram has his man. He had just jumped on the ice and his man is clearly Trenin, who's stick he's tying up in front of the net like he should. He can't defend two people at the same time.

Colton has Glass. That's who Mitchell was talking about, when he said he had his back to him. He was puck watching and was behind the play a bit, so he couldn't tie up his stick or deflect the shot.

Bo did nothing wrong here.

giphy.gif

The 4th goal was 1:30 into Bo's shift and a pretty nice move by Kodak. Lots of D men would have got burned there in that situation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
CNap likely banking on Nuke's return to fix everything

He won't fix everything, but this game was yet another perfect example of a game where they needed Val's net front presence.

Preds defended the house hard, and Saros was playing well. Needed more traffic and some chaos in front of the net.

One of the main reasons taht 22 Cup team was so good, was because they could score the pretty goals off the rushed in the O zone, but could also score the ugly goals.

That combo always kept them in games and gave them a chance to win.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad