• Will Cullen

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The nhl shouldn’t be in the business of disallowing goals if it doesn’t have to. Which is why the offside replay should be gone as well

The kicking rule changed not this year. It changed a few years ago players just still don’t think to direct pucks with their skates and goalies still react like halak did when a puck goes off a skate and in because it’s how we grew up. Unless it’s legit a soccer kick it’s a goal. Last night was a clean goal. Kreider should be doing more of this on the pp frankly.

Harpur was reallly bad last night. A serviceable 7th D but shouldn’t be out there every night.

Kids were tremendous. Panarin and Mika were cooking.

Halak started well but he had a Georgiev night. Never looked comfortable got bailed out by the post a few times. Take the win and run.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I’m over it because it didn’t end up mattering, but I have absolutely no idea how that was not a distinct kicking motion. He clearly moved his foot forward and in the process struck the puck. Just flat out do not understand that call, but I’m sure I’m just not up on some particular.
It was absolutely a kicking motion. He not only turned his skate to deflect it but he moved his skate forward. If that isn't kicking then what is. It's just another rule in hockey where the NHL has no clue how to officiate it and the fans have no idea what the call will be. I love this sport but despise this league.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Sometimes it takes a while to learn and understand how to be impactful on the score sheet consistently.

Chytil showed flashes in the past only to be derailed by injuries.

Kakko is quietly learning and on the DL passed his career high of 23 pts with 30 games to go.

Alexis is also still learning and when he starts to get a better grip on that, he's going to be dangerous.

With no significant PP time, we could have three guys posting 40+ points each

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
It may be unpopular here, but just do away with the kicking motion rules. It should be allowed, period. Goals should count if they go in off the stick, skate, chest, ass, head, etc.
Players should never be allowed to kick it in. Might as well allow players to swat the puck in with their hand also or maybe throw it into the net.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
When Chytil made that pass at the end of regulation, succumbing to Rangers-itis and overpassing:

giphy.gif
For whatever reason the kids always seem to defer when they play with the veterans. It’s very frustrating.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're at the point of the season where the Rangers are playing their "Game of the Year" every week. This is the time of year we really got going last year as well.

Chytil is becoming a star. He is what makes the Kid Line go. Kakko and Lafreniere are not very far behind him in terms of becoming impact players.

Mika not being mentioned in the Selke conversation defies logic. He is the engine of the operation. Lazy Panarin plays gave Calgary their first 2 goals, but he was making plays late in the game and the pass he made to Mika for the game tying goal was excellent. He still needs to score more to earn his paycheck but he contributed. I thought Vesey on that line was good too.

Trouba set the tone for the second half with his performance tonight. That is why he's the Captain. No one comes into our house and pushes us around, and that Calgary team is one that will push teams around if you let them. Lucic was getting bodied left and right it was shocking to see after watching the majority of his career. The Flames have become a team of mercenaries with little to no homegrown talent. Rebuild coming for them.

I will add that Harpur was a flaming turd tonight. He's a fine #7 but he's getting exposed. Jones was an AHL All-Star. I feel like he deserves another crack. waive Hajek if you have to.
I'm not a "set the tone" guy, generally, but that whole game revolved around Trouba. I gave him a star.

Also, if you look at the metrics, Kadri was pretty terrible in that game.

Is that causal? Can't say, but the Rangers started pulling away in xG after the hullaballoo. I think we may have gotten them off their game. It certainly correlates.

I'm all for the physical stuff if you can show me some concrete impact.

And this wasn't just the Tanner Glass "I bumped into a guy after he passed." These were fight-starting, think-twice, with the puck knockdowns.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Do I get a pat on the back for posting my confidence in the win?
No, but you get a big pat on the back for your great avatar and name. I mean, if Trouba didn't wear it, then Lindy should get it just because he really is the heart of this team. We ever lose him again, it would be noticable how bad our team defense would suffer.

• Love
Reactions: Captain Lindy

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'm not a "set the tone" guy, generally, but that whole game revolved around Trouba. I gave him a star.

Also, if you look at the metrics, Kadri was pretty terrible in that game.

Is that causal? Can't say, but the Rangers started pulling away in xG after the hullaballoo. I think we may have gotten them off their game. It certainly correlates.

I'm all for the physical stuff if you can show me some concrete impact.

And this wasn't just the Tanner Glass "I bumped into a guy after he passed." These were fight-starting, think-twice, with the puck knockdowns.

Kadri was horrific and deserved that hit. He went high on Trouba early and took his number for later. He also turned it over on the Chytil house call. And when Jacob popped him later he got up praying he didnt need to fight.

Deleted member 23124

It was absolutely a kicking motion. He not only turned his skate to deflect it but he moved his skate forward. If that isn't kicking then what is. It's just another rule in hockey where the NHL has no clue how to officiate it and the fans have no idea what the call will be. I love this sport but despise this league.
My impression was that he moved his foot to be sure puck hit his skate. Otherwise, I think the puck would have gone by him.

Reactions: pld459666

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Also, our record since Trouba threw that tantrum on the ice is outstanding.

Again, don't know if it's causal, but it can't hurt. That's what the leadership is for, right?
17-5-4 since that game, yet so many Rangers fans (not necessarily on here) I feel like are acting like it is 98-2004 all over again. I just don't get it.

Edit: Correction, 17-4-3 since that game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Lindy

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It’s not very often you see three huge open ice hits each result in a power play for the team that threw the hit.

Trouba having to fight twice in one game after 2 different clean hits is a joke. Trouba can handle himself and he tuned Dube up in the second fight but it’s pretty ridiculous that he has to fight after every clean big hit he has.
It's very troubling. We lose Trouba for 5 minutes in "defending himself". The attacker should get 5, and Trouba should get 2 for "defending". A 3 minute difference, maybe THAT will back away some, via the COACHES demands.
OR
a double minor (instigating and fighting) and NO penalty for Trouba. (4 minutes of PP) I mean, WHY should we lose him when he didn't do anything wrong? How many times have we seen this situation NOT be called correctly? If not for the great refereeing last night, this could have went the wrong way. Fortunately, we made them PAY for stupidity.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Trouba was on a mission last night, he wasn't taking sh*t from anybody. Love to see that side of him!

Definitely one of the best games of the season. I was watching the Calgary feed for the game, and they kept saying how this felt like a playoff game between two big rivals. Definitely felt that way, nobody would have ever predicted that a midseason Calgary-NYR game would be like this. That was a fun one, and was so glad to see Laffy get the winner!

Reactions: FUZfan and bhamill

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
After seeing the replay when I got home, was fine with the call. It was more deflected. We won, was a great game, not going to dwell on it, those calls go 50/50 anyway, it’s similar to Goalie interference, in terms of which way It will go.
I hear ya... but a Stanley Cup could be won by that goal and that would be a God damn disgrace.

It does take some skill to deflect a puck in off one's skate... true.

You can't have guys kicking at things with metal blades on their feet... also true.

I think the rule is ok... but maybe reverse it so it needs to "clearly be a deflection" rather than "no goal for distinct kicking motion"?

Reactions: bhamill

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
17-5-4 since that game, yet so many Rangers fans (not necessarily on here) I feel like are acting like it is 98-2004 all over again. I just don't get it.
It's definitely on here and I bitch about it all the time. Some fans actually think they must get 2 points every night and if they don't it's a total meltdown. Go back and look at the postgame thread after they got 1 point instead of 2 against Toronto. Some of the takes are comical. Some people are apparently unaware about what happens during an 82 game NHL regular season.

Reactions: patnyrnyg

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
The nhl shouldn’t be in the business of disallowing goals if it doesn’t have to. Which is why the offside replay should be gone as well

The kicking rule changed not this year. It changed a few years ago players just still don’t think to direct pucks with their skates and goalies still react like halak did when a puck goes off a skate and in because it’s how we grew up. Unless it’s legit a soccer kick it’s a goal. Last night was a clean goal. Kreider should be doing more of this on the pp frankly.

Harpur was reallly bad last night. A serviceable 7th D but shouldn’t be out there every night.

Kids were tremendous. Panarin and Mika were cooking.

Halak started well but he had a Georgiev night. Never looked comfortable got bailed out by the post a few times. Take the win and run.

Yup, I had to review the text to see the full clarification.

For everyone at home, the new main component of the 'distinct kicking motion' amendment in 2019-20 was 'propelling the puck'. 'Kicking motion' was really meant to discourage goalmouth scrums where skate blades and skaters on the ice = bad news.

If the puck has velocity and is directed in, goal. If the puck is stationary and kicked into the net, or kicked and goes off anything and then into the net, no goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad