Extended Matthews vs Stutzle going forward?

Would you rather have Extended Matthews or Stutzle going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It will be fun to bump this thread next season when Matthews is healthy from the beginning of the season, and scores 60 + again winning the rocket for his 3rd time.

How does that change anything for the poll? One guy is 4 years older and is set to make at least 50% more money

A healthy Matthews goal totals will compete with Stutzle's points.

Stutzle current PPG equates to 96 points per 82 games... He currently has 81 points...

Surprised this is so close when the other poll (in trade section) was 70% Stutzle. Did Leafs fans miss that or did people just assume Matthews wouldn't extend.

For the Devils I'd probably take Matthews, but mostly because we already have similar players to Stutzle in Hughes and Bratt. Stutzle is definitely worth a few million more than his contract, while Matthews probably will get payed what he's worth. However people saying that they'd rather take Stutzle and a 4-5m player, who is this other player? This is not ea sports, we can't just choose some 4m steal of a contract stud. Maybe our GM signs some hasbeen defensive liability.

4.0 AAV could be the difference between affording Claude Giroux 6.5 AAV or go with a Mathieu Joseph type at 2.95 AAV

That's how important cap space is today

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How does that change anything for the poll? One guy is 4 years older and is set to make at least 50% more money

Stutzle current PPG equates to 96 points per 82 games... He currently has 81 points...

4.0 AAV could be the difference between affording Claude Giroux 6.5 AAV or go with a Mathieu Joseph type at 2.95 AAV

I was exaggerating. My point is Matthews will score a boatload of goals again with good health.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland

So I also get Giroux with Stutzle? What if I end up with Lucic? I don't think you understood my point.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That is because he is 50% better. More really.

ok let's just look at pure data then

Matthews at 21 y/o : 73 pts in 68 games
Stutzle at 21 (well, 4 months younger) : 81 pts in 69 games

Matthews turns 26 before next season and only scored more than 80 pts once... so even if you look at his career season which was 106 pts in 73 games, how is it at least 50% better than 81 pts in 69 games?

So I also get Giroux with Stutzle? What if I end up with Lucic? I don't think you understood my point.

Nothing wrong with your point, but for Ottawa, since this is the situation we are looking at here, Stutzle at 12.5 AAV would prevent them from having a player of Giroux caliber, for example

Last edited:

PlayItAgain

Jan 18, 2005
That is because he is 50% better. More really.
And you’d have some semblance of a point if the poll was asking who’s a better player today. You understand the next contract Matthews signs, he we will be a declining athlete over the length of it? While Stutzle is 21 and will be entering his prime years. 8 years is a long time. You don’t think Stutzle will be a better player than Matthews at some point over the next 8 seasons?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
How about Timmy +Evander Kane? Or Hyman? Or RNH? 3 examples from just one team

Sure, but I’m using the example that actually exists rather than pretending that all GMs use that money to it’s best ability

That’s the point, the whole “imagine what we could do with x free money” is already literally in place

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Stutzle will never win a Hart, AR or Rocket. This is AM comfortably.
While its not likely you dont know this. He is likely going to be a consistent 90 + point scorer likely gets over 100 a few times. He is at like 98 points over his last 82 games and just turned 21. But with Mcdavid in the league none of those awards are reachable for anyone for the most part. Doesnt mean he isnt going to be a top 10/5 player in the league he is certainly developing into one.

ok let's just look at pure data then

Matthews at 21 y/o : 73 pts in 68 games
Stutzle at 21 (well, 4 months younger) : 81 pts in 69 games

Matthews turns 26 before next season and only scored more than 80 pts once... so even if you look at his career season which was 106 pts in 73 games, how is it at least 50% better than 81 pts in 69 games?
No one wants to acknowledge this. Its really strange. Or convenient.

Mar 26, 2010
LOL.

Austin Matthews fan boy thinks Matthews is 50% better than stutzle. In what universe and using what math?
Matthews is the 2nd best player in the NHL when healthy

what universe and what math? Back to back rocket Richard trophy‘s, hart trophy, ted Lindsay trophy, 50 goals in 50 games, Calder trophy.

this thread has to be the biggest joke on here. This comparison is not even in the same stratosphere.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Sure, but I’m using the example that actually exists rather than pretending that all GMs use that money to it’s best ability

That’s the point, the whole “imagine what we could do with x free money” is already literally in place
Yah but that is 3 examples on one team that would be better with Stutz rather than having Matthews. Just showing whats possible

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

what universe and what math? Back to back rocket Richard trophy‘s, hart trophy, ted Lindsay trophy, 50 goals in 50 games, Calder trophy.

this thread has to be the biggest joke on here. This comparison is not even in the same stratosphere.

Exactly. What math?

Explain the "50% better" using stats and math lol.

Let's see how convincing of a case you can make.

Reactions: Xspyrit

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

matthews probably tops out as the 3-5th best player when healthy. mackinnon is clearly ahead of him then theres drai and kuch.

the hart and lindsey are a sham, easily should have been mcdavid.

matthews is clearly better but you have to factor in contracts. both are legit options once you do that. personally i think this poll underestimates matthews next payday.

Reactions: Kerberos

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019

No he’s not. He was for one season, he is not the 2nd best player in the NHL.

Reactions: Kerberos

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tavares left a more successful team in NYC to go home.

Attention? He'll be the biggest draw and the sole ambassador for the Hispanic and Mexican market in AZ.

If he wants to win it's not like the Leafs give him much chance. Maybe as the premier NHLer in AZ Matthews can steer AZ in a new direction.

The difference is Tavares left to join a team that had, Matthews, Marner and Nylander already there.

You are suggesting Matthews will go home to Arizona, where the team doesn't even have a real arena yet, and won't for several more years, and that's assuming it gets approved, which it still hasn't been.

He's not going to go home and play in front of a maximum of about 3500 people, that's not going to happen.

If you had said LA, the NYR, Vegas etc that's one thing.

But Arizona? nope

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
The difference is Tavares left to join a team that had, Matthews, Marner and Nylander already there.

You are suggesting Matthews will go home to Arizona, where the team doesn't even have a real arena yet, and won't for several more years, and that's assuming it gets approved, which it still hasn't been.

He's not going to go home and play in front of a maximum of about 3500 people, that's not going to happen.

If you had said LA, the NYR, Vegas etc that's one thing.

But Arizona? nope
d6eabe3d7fe7ff6e56e5b5f0263da88d.jpg

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
No he’s not. He was for one season, he is not the 2nd best player in the NHL.
Yep, this. The hypocrisy amongst Leafs fans claiming other players need to consistently perform before certain proclamations have any validity when Matthews has a single outlier season where he lays claim to the #2 spot and plays like a top 5 player is hilarious.

He needs at least another 2 or 3 seasons like last year before he climbs up into that rareified air because he certainly sticks out like a sore thumb compared to Drai, Kuch, MacK, Makar etc. when placed there at the moment.

Reactions: Sens9292

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Now this is a good poll for the Sens.

Matthews is a better player and I really think he'd be looked on differently if he didn't run into Jesus in 2021.

With that said, the 2-4 millions difference in salary will be a big decision here.

I don't think Matthews is worth a full 4 millions more than Stutzle, but at 2 millions more-ish, I would consider him.

Also consider injury history and age in this.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This comparison is not even in the same stratosphere.

Then why has Stutzle produced 5 more points than Matthews this season?

Do you realize that Stutzle was 20 y/o at the beginning of the season? His b-day is on January 15th

Some people really don't "listen to themselves" lol

When taking contracts in comparison, this is not close... I wouldn't use "stratosphere" but AINEC will do

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Now this is a good poll for the Sens.

Matthews is a better player and I really think he'd be looked on differently if he didn't run into Jesus in 2021.

With that said, the 2-4 millions difference in salary will be a big decision here.

I don't think Matthews is worth a full 4 millions more than Stutzle, but at 2 millions more-ish, I would consider him.

Also consider injury history and age in this.
2 million more would me that Matthews is taking a paycut on his next contract, more then likely its 4-5 million more. Matthews will at minimum want to be paid the same as mackinnon.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
matthews probably tops out as the 3-5th best player when healthy. mackinnon is clearly ahead of him then theres drai and kuch.

the hart and lindsey are a sham, easily should have been mcdavid.

matthews is clearly better but you have to factor in contracts. both are legit options once you do that. personally i think this poll underestimates matthews next payday.

Kucherov isn't better than a healthy Matthews. Head to head in the playoffs he's certainly not anywhere close for two straight series in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad