Extended Matthews vs Stutzle going forward?

Would you rather have Extended Matthews or Stutzle going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Stützle for better value, he's already worth his cap hit and will keep getting better. Matthews is a legit 1C of course, but his extension isn't going to come cheap and he seems to have reached or even passed his peak at least offensively.

B A T M A N

Mar 18, 2023
Stutzle is the straw that stirs the drink; much like Marner. Matthews needs another play driver to score.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
There's no doubt Matthews is the better player, but if we say he gets 13m a year x8.
Going with Stutzle gives you 4.6m extra in space, that's significant and difference between them isn't some huge chasm.
There's a lot of players you could add for that price, that would offset the difference between Stutzle and Matthews.
IE
Stutzle and Oettinger would come out cheaper than Matthews at any price over 12.3

In the context of Dallas.
It would be easier to fit Stutzle at 8.35 today then Matthews. Case in point, next year, we could literally add the entire 8.35m without moving anyone (currently) and be under the cap. We'd have to buyout Suter to truly fill out the roster in that scenario, and probably move Faksa. But all of that would have to happen, and then some to fit Matthews and fill out the roster holes.
Neither plays a physical style so where down isn't a big worry with either, even given the age difference.

So it would depend on who you use with that Difference in space.
If I go out and waste it on someone like Suter, well then just give me Matthews outright.
Otherwise I'll take Stutzle

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
What is with all these attempt to crap on Matthews threads? Like seriously.

you know, we are talking about the current rocket Richard winner, who won it back to back. Hart winner, Ted Lindsay…..

GET REAL
You get real! He was just lucky!

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
He could afford it, he preferred the number at 5. Do you have a source that he couldn't afford it? You've probably been saying the Leafs have been in cap trouble for years... yet they aren't.

The Coyotes aren't even selling out their arena and you think that he will be a big draw down there... this is just wishful thinking from you.

When have the Coyotes ever sold out an arena?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I finally voted and it's nearly 50-50.

I guess it's the same intelligent people from the Matthews vs Barzal votes, or the Matthews vs Laine votes, or the Matthews vs Eichel votes, or the Matthews vs Pettersson votes, or the....

At this point it's either trolling for the hell of it, or some sort of IQ sapping epidemic.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It's not Matthews vs Stutzle. It's Matthews and player A vs Stutzle and another player worth ~4.000 more than player A

If you look at players making a relitively fair salary (no J.Robertson, W.Nylander, M.Lucic, etc..), you could do Matthews and N.Paul vs Stutzle and K.Connor.

I'm taking Stutzle and the ~4.000 cap space to spend, every day of the week.

Reactions: Karl Eriksson

Mar 26, 2010
It will be fun to bump this thread next season when Matthews is healthy from the beginning of the season, and scores 60 + again winning the rocket for his 3rd time.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It will be fun to bump this thread next season when Matthews is healthy from the beginning of the season, and scores 60 + again winning the rocket for his 3rd time.

We could bump it by the end of the season. 2nd multi goal game in a row now and there will be a few more to come before the playoffs.

Mar 26, 2010
We could bump it by the end of the season. 2nd multi goal game in a row now and there will be a few more to come before the playoffs.
Matthews gonna push to hit 60 goals in the last 10 games of the season. haha

A healthy Matthews goal totals will compete with Stutzle's points.
Stutzle is a great young player for sure but not on the same stratosphere as a healthy Matthews. All this thread is good for, is for leaf haters to crap all over him. Nothing more.

Reactions: authentic

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Surprised this is so close when the other poll (in trade section) was 70% Stutzle. Did Leafs fans miss that or did people just assume Matthews wouldn't extend.

For the Devils I'd probably take Matthews, but mostly because we already have similar players to Stutzle in Hughes and Bratt. Stutzle is definitely worth a few million more than his contract, while Matthews probably will get payed what he's worth. However people saying that they'd rather take Stutzle and a 4-5m player, who is this other player? This is not ea sports, we can't just choose some 4m steal of a contract stud. Maybe our GM signs some hasbeen defensive liability.

Reactions: bert
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad