Extended Matthews vs Stutzle going forward?

Would you rather have Extended Matthews or Stutzle going forward?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Last night really hurt, huh?

Didn't we have a similar poll not too long ago?

Reactions: Voight

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I’ll take the next 5 years of Matthews at 13m over the next 8 years of Stützle at 8.35.

Look at DeBrincat, the hardest thing in this league is scoring goals.

I know this defeats the purpose of this poll now but if Jimmy puts up a 40 goal 50-60 point season next year it’s him, and I think it’s totally within the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

MinnesotaFats

Aug 10, 2005
I’ll take the next 5 years of Matthews at 13m over the next 8 years of Stützle at 8.35.

I know this defeats the purpose of this poll now but if Jimmy puts up a 40 goal 50-60 point season next year it’s him, and I think it’s totally within the realm of possibility.
Goal scoring is huge. Agreed. But where has that taken the Leafs? I dont think it’s a hard argument to make that Timmy plus another $5m player are better than AM. Only Leafs fans likely think otherwise. Or people that haven’t actually watched Timmy play. He’s a young Draisaitl (who himself is better than AM)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Goal scoring is huge. Agreed. But where has that taken the Leafs? I dont think it’s a hard argument to make that Timmy plus another $5m player are better than AM. Only Leafs fans likely think otherwise. Or people that haven’t actually watched Timmy play. He’s a young Draisaitl (who himself is better than AM)

So, Timmy plus Batherson?

Where have they taken Ottawa?

I'd vote for Stutzle but check your argument.

Reactions: Voight

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Rather have stu for 8.35 on the sabres matthews would be to expensive with stu you have more room to use cap to address an area of weakness and still have an elite no.1 even though AM os still better

If he scores 40 he's getting 90-100+ points

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
We going a little too far here off a good season from Timmy. AM 100% of the time but let’s revisit this in a year.

Mar 26, 2010
What is with all these attempt to crap on Matthews threads? Like seriously.

you know, we are talking about the current rocket Richard winner, who won it back to back. Hart winner, Ted Lindsay…..

GET REAL

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Already putting a Hart, Lindsay and double Rockets in Stutzle's trophy case eh?

HF Ottawa working their magic. Haven't been keeping up but guessing they're out of the playoff picture?

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski
Mar 12, 2009
"probably only Leaf fans think otherwise", then says something only a Sens fan would think. Sens added Giroux and Debrincat, and Stutzle has taken the next step, having an amazing season, and they still can't crack the playoffs.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Rather have stu for 8.35 on the sabres matthews would be to expensive with stu you have more room to use cap to address an area of weakness and still have an elite no.1 even though AM os still better

If he scores 40 he's getting 90-100+ points
Agreed, meant assist.

Reactions: Faceboner

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
"probably only Leaf fans think otherwise", then says something only a Sens fan would think. Sens added Giroux and Debrincat, and Stutzle has taken the next step, having an amazing season, and they still can't crack the playoffs.
Not defending our performance this year, but losing Norris and our 1A, 1B and sometimes both goaltenders for prolonged periods of the season really hurt. Injuries happen, I get it- but these aren’t losses that could have been expected or easily remedied.

Sounds like mental gymnastics but the benefits of adding Giroux and Cat was pretty much leveled out by not having another top six centre to play with them and rushing Greig/Pinto into a spot. (Or top six winger/player in general).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews is the better player. But once extended, paying him 50% more than Timmy, the choice is clear. AM isn’t McDavid and at this point I think Timmy still has a chance to be as much of a point producer as AM
Pretty much this but Tim has to keep ascending here a bit still.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think based on the prior negotiations we can assume Matthews takes the max so at a minimum he will be at $13 million imo.
You know he's looking for 15 and he is gonna get it somewhere. Thats why he signed the original contract he did. Do people actually think he is going to extend long term at 13 million? Yikes, prepare to be disappointed.

Matthews is better right now no debate. But I dont think he is 6 million a year better. I also think the gap is going to continue to tighten.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Sens9292

Oct 5, 2019
Stutzle is far above Matthews D+3 year. Progression isn’t linear but Stutzle os a safe bet to continue developing his skills

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That’s a good question. I want to say Matthews but that’s just a ton of cap and he’s had a lot more injury issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad