Post-Game Talk: Extend Mike Smith

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nuge avoids physical contact and scrums anytime he can. That's not bias to state that, its longterm observation of the butter soft player.

I'm far from the only one that spotted and seen it. Nuge bail is widely known.

Timely bit from TSN on Nuge and what his coach thinks of him. Consistent of every coach and the Oil have spit out coaches like pez candy during his time as a pro. Consistent through them all is of the player's smart game. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rnh-other-depth-players-starting-to-ramp-up-for-top-heavy-oilers%7E1868731/rnh-other-depth-players-starting-to-ramp-up-for-top-heavy-oilers~1868731

I'll take the opinion of Tippett and every NHL coach and teammate over everyone watching from the couch. The play in question which started this discussion you joined in was a wrong call by posters on an end of game play in which the centre responsibility (Draisaitl) was out of position. I am unclear why many in Oiler fandoms seem to opt for a Draisaitl versus Nugent Hopkins type of thinking. It comes out in postings like a great win in Boston where late in game there seems to be a need to call out RNH for a situation where, for anyone who has played the game, it was clear the centre man position missed the assignment.

The Oilers are better imo with their strength in the middle with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins. McDavid is a generational player. Draisaitl is among the elite as a winger, has the drive and ability to take games over, and is learning to play at high level at both ends of the rink. It is still a work in progress defensively as we've seen the last two months - not because he's lazy or selfish but because of his will and belief to be a difference maker. Nugent Hopkins is a Swiss Army Knife guy who slides in all situational play without the ego of high pedigree pick - a great teammate whose utility is always valued highly by his coaches and teammates and praised for the small, subtle plays that positively make a difference in games. He's not the fire and elite creative game of McDavid and Draisaitl but rather a cool, analytical approach playing a responsible game. Personally I'd like to see more risk taking in his game but that might atrophied over the years on bad teams. He's physically weak and won't outrun his biology but I see a player who doesn't shy from contact and tough areas as some do.

My take is this team - TEAM - will be better and ready to contend when McDavid and Draisaitl drive their own line with Nugent Hopkins moving between 3C and wing option and Draisaitl with the same option and flexibility. As great as the 80's Oilers with fire wagon hockey they shut the door defensively to win Stanley Cups. This modern Oilers team will not win with fire wagon hockey or riding generational McDavid and an elite Draisaitl, they have to be better defensively and have a balanced lineup.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Hire him as a goaltending consultant when he retires. He can teach our boys how to handle the puck and we can create a puck playing army at the back end.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
The whole team played well in this one. Full effort through 60 and no sitting back. Smith looking good in 2 straight games. He should get the night off against the leafs. Tippett may go back to a 2&2 schedule if Smith continues to play well. Yams looking much better in this call-up. Hopefully he continues to play this type of game. These lines are working right now. Team feels like I has some stability throughout.

What's with the Boston coach benching DeBrusk after a whiff on the puck that cost the first goal? Pretty stupid to sit him for that IMO (unless there was more to it).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Timely bit from TSN on Nuge and what his coach thinks of him. Consistent of every coach and the Oil have spit out coaches like pez candy during his time as a pro. Consistent through them all is of the player's smart game. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/rnh-other-depth-players-starting-to-ramp-up-for-top-heavy-oilers%7E1868731/rnh-other-depth-players-starting-to-ramp-up-for-top-heavy-oilers~1868731

I'll take the opinion of Tippett and every NHL coach and teammate over everyone watching from the couch. The play in question which started this discussion you joined in was a wrong call by posters on an end of game play in which the centre responsibility (Draisaitl) was out of position. I am unclear why many in Oiler fandoms seem to opt for a Draisaitl versus Nugent Hopkins type of thinking. It comes out in postings like a great win in Boston where late in game there seems to be a need to call out RNH for a situation where, for anyone who has played the game, it was clear the centre man position missed the assignment.

The Oilers are better imo with their strength in the middle with McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins. McDavid is a generational player. Draisaitl is among the elite as a winger, has the drive and ability to take games over, and is learning to play at high level at both ends of the rink. It is still a work in progress defensively as we've seen the last two months - not because he's lazy or selfish but because of his will and belief to be a difference maker. Nugent Hopkins is a Swiss Army Knife guy who slides in all situational play without the ego of high pedigree pick - a great teammate whose utility is always valued highly by his coaches and teammates and praised for the small, subtle plays that positively make a difference in games. He's not the fire and elite creative game of McDavid and Draisaitl but rather a cool, analytical approach playing a responsible game. Personally I'd like to see more risk taking in his game but that might atrophied over the years on bad teams. He's physically weak and won't outrun his biology but I see a player who doesn't shy from contact and tough areas as some do.

My take is this team - TEAM - will be better and ready to contend when McDavid and Draisaitl drive their own line with Nugent Hopkins moving between 3C and wing option and Draisaitl with the same option and flexibility. As great as the 80's Oilers with fire wagon hockey they shut the door defensively to win Stanley Cups. This modern Oilers team will not win with fire wagon hockey or riding generational McDavid and an elite Draisaitl, they have to be better defensively and have a balanced lineup.

Nuge is a very smart player, reads plays very well, anticipates well, and is a skilled player. Nobody said otherwise. But what stops Nuge from being much more than he presently is, is desire to take it to the next level and make the sacrifices, on ice, to be a dominant player. But this would require more offseason sacrifice, harder training, more willingness to engage in physical hockey, more battle, more intensity etc.

Nuge has the ability to be an ASG level player every season. He really does have that tool set. He's accepted less, its aggravating.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Not perfect... just not completely putrid. Hm, Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak seem to have no trouble doing this....

Panarin on an iffy Rangers team is a plus 17 the list goes on and on.

Just to interject, all those players you named are also much older.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Just to interject, all those players you named are also much older.

Yes but when you wear the C and A as Connor and Drai do you have to at least act like you give an ounce of care defensively. That's my disappointment. For much of the month plus the care and effort for the defensive side has been very poor too often. If they at least tried and made honest mistakes at a higher pace then I'd be less pi**ed. Too often i'd see them floating and gliding to defend and pressure the puck carrier when just a bit more effort would have rushed the opposing layer into a potentially worse play or turn over. Teams and opposing players have flat out said that the oilers are just way too easy to play against because of all the time and space they give you. When Connor and Drai get into that mode of gliding around you can see that the opposing players have a great time controlling the puck with ease. At least make it difficult on them and drain some of their energy. Wear the opponent down a bit. This has been the culture of the team for a long time. Just flat out too easy to play against. Opponents often come out of games not even feeling like they played a game. You don't need a lot of skill to make it hard on the opponent. They've been somewhat better this year vs last but still a work in progress.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The whole team played well in this one. Full effort through 60 and no sitting back. Smith looking good in 2 straight games. He should get the night off against the leafs. Tippett may go back to a 2&2 schedule if Smith continues to play well. Yams looking much better in this call-up. Hopefully he continues to play this type of game. These lines are working right now. Team feels like I has some stability throughout.

What's with the Boston coach benching DeBrusk after a whiff on the puck that cost the first goal? Pretty stupid to sit him for that IMO (unless there was more to it).

Ya pretty harsh to sit Debrusk for an honest mistake. But i guess that's the standard/culture of an elite team. Higher standards. Require more focus and mental engagement/sharpness from every player. Also the coach hoping maybe to light a fire under his butt when he gets out on the ice for the next shift.

Those little things are the difference between a team like the oil and a team like the bruins. Maybe our org and some of the fan base are more lenient and forgiving to meh effort and defensive play by guys like Connor and Drai but i don't think those things would stand on a winning culture like the bruins or some other teams. That constant push for perfection. We've seen so much losing here that the fans don't remember what excellence is and settle for some meh efforts because some guys are putting up points.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
So in your mind McD and Drai and Hall have a "loser mentality"?

No i'm saying you and some fans and maybe the past oil management have a loser mentality allowing mediocre to poor defensive play slide.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Man who asks wife

To do all the work raising kids

Clean/cook

Also be the primary breadwinner for the household and work

And never complain or have a bad attitude about it

Is baffled why he's twice divorced and his current wife is getting unhappy.

lol.

Gregor did some research and says the Oiler's bottom six have scored the 12th most goals in the NHL since Nov 1st so.....

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nuge is a very smart player, reads plays very well, anticipates well, and is a skilled player. Nobody said otherwise. But what stops Nuge from being much more than he presently is, is desire to take it to the next level and make the sacrifices, on ice, to be a dominant player. But this would require more offseason sacrifice, harder training, more willingness to engage in physical hockey, more battle, more intensity etc.

Nuge has the ability to be an ASG level player every season. He really does have that tool set. He's accepted less, its aggravating.

I think it helpful to listen to Tippett's commentary on RNH. It speaks to his smarts/hockey IQ but also the subtlety in how the coaches see it is often revealed in video replay. He is highly regarded for two way play and Tippett mentions in one interview yesterday or today how Nuge could have better numbers if he opted to play to this one dimension but the strength is in the quality two way team play he delivers. All of his coaches with their extensive knowledge and viewings know the value of this player but a segment of Oiler fans calls seem to miss this. An example was the video in this thread which revealed the centreman (Driasaitl) out of position with RNH jumping in to provide that centre-iceman support for Yamamoto.

I also don't buy into the slurs of RNH being 'butter soft.' He competes in tough areas of the ice and doesn't shy from it although his physical weakness might see him lose battles or fall. But this guy is not a soft player and I'd be sure his coach(es) and teammates would vehemently disagree with this fan based opinion. For many I think this is often a matter of confirmation bias seeing what they want to believe while missing the majority and realistic effort and commitment level by this player.

Not a perfect player by far. But a very valuable team based player whose put ego aside to play a complete game required to win hockey games.

Reactions: McNuge and HK97

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
Yes but when you wear the C and A as Connor and Drai do you have to at least act like you give an ounce of care defensively. That's my disappointment. For much of the month plus the care and effort for the defensive side has been very poor too often. If they at least tried and made honest mistakes at a higher pace then I'd be less pi**ed. Too often i'd see them floating and gliding to defend and pressure the puck carrier when just a bit more effort would have rushed the opposing layer into a potentially worse play or turn over. Teams and opposing players have flat out said that the oilers are just way too easy to play against because of all the time and space they give you. When Connor and Drai get into that mode of gliding around you can see that the opposing players have a great time controlling the puck with ease. At least make it difficult on them and drain some of their energy. Wear the opponent down a bit. This has been the culture of the team for a long time. Just flat out too easy to play against. Opponents often come out of games not even feeling like they played a game. You don't need a lot of skill to make it hard on the opponent. They've been somewhat better this year vs last but still a work in progress.

I just wanted to bold this because I do agree that they have gotten better. My point is that this trend will continue as they age and is quite typical in the NHL. When they are as old as the players you listed, they may be just as defensively astute.

I have a bit of a harder time chastising a player for "lazy defensive play" because I am clearly not as astute at monitoring how long they have been on the ice that shift, who their defensive assignment is, if they have a reason to expect a turnover and are preparing for a breakout, etc. Since they usually are very good at the defensive side of the game I can chalk it up as a blip that will correct, or that they are seeing something I am not.

You mention "Teams and opposing players have flat out said that the oilers are just way too easy to play against because of all the time and space they give you". I heard this several years ago, but I have not heard this recently. Do you have any links you could share? Did someone say this in December, because I doubt it was in Oct. or Nov. when they were winning at a pretty high rate.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Nice outcome. Man did they need Smith to show up. I haven't decided whether he actually had a good game against the Leafs or if the other goalies were just worse but that is a club with a lot of shooters that could have made it a bad night and he made the saves that needed to be made. Yamo on the scoreboard was icing on the cake:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: . I honestly don't see a California team in the playoffs the year.
We're back baby!
upload_2020-1-7_18-36-48.jpeg

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I think it helpful to listen to Tippett's commentary on RNH. It speaks to his smarts/hockey IQ but also the subtlety in how the coaches see it is often revealed in video replay. He is highly regarded for two way play and Tippett mentions in one interview yesterday or today how Nuge could have better numbers if he opted to play to this one dimension but the strength is in the quality two way team play he delivers. All of his coaches with their extensive knowledge and viewings know the value of this player but a segment of Oiler fans calls seem to miss this. An example was the video in this thread which revealed the centreman (Driasaitl) out of position with RNH jumping in to provide that centre-iceman support for Yamamoto.

I also don't buy into the slurs of RNH being 'butter soft.' He competes in tough areas of the ice and doesn't shy from it although his physical weakness might see him lose battles or fall. But this guy is not a soft player and I'd be sure his coach(es) and teammates would vehemently disagree with this fan based opinion. For many I think this is often a matter of confirmation bias seeing what they want to believe while missing the majority and realistic effort and commitment level by this player.

Not a perfect player by far. But a very valuable team based player whose put ego aside to play a complete game required to win hockey games.
You mention Nuge coming over because Draisaitl was out of position? Nuge is the LW, he comes over and does squat, putting himself out of position. Watch the end of that clip, Pastrnak, a RW ends up with the puck. That’s Nuge’s man. Great 2-way play there eh?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
You mention Nuge coming over because Draisaitl was out of position? Nuge is the LW, he comes over and does squat, putting himself out of position. Watch the end of that clip, Pastrnak, a RW ends up with the puck. That’s Nuge’s man. Great 2-way play there eh?

He comes in to cover the centre ice support at the blueline behind Yamamoto until Draisaitl moves back from near the redline. Responsible, safe and smart defensive zone play with a two goal lead and thirty seconds to play. They had defensive support. So ya ... good defensive play. The kind his coach has been praising him for and the type of subtle effort often missed he also said until coaches review the film.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
He comes in to cover the centre ice support at the blueline behind Yamamoto until Draisaitl moves back from near the redline. Responsible, safe and smart defensive zone play with a two goal lead and thirty seconds to play. They had defensive support. So ya ... good defensive play. The kind his coach has been praising him for and the type of subtle effort often missed he also said until coaches review the film.
What are you talking about? Nuge comes over, does nothing and Pastrnak takes the puck the other way. How is that responsible, safe or smart? Ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00