Post-Game Talk: Extend Mike Smith

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Not a bash at all. He played a strong game and nice to see some physical play too. He and Nuge will provide a solid second line. I chose to call out a bad example to criticize Nugent Hopkins on a small, defensive zone neutral ice play with thirty seconds left in the game and a two goal lead. The centre man's role is to clear to engage and provide support not the winger. There are no perfect players and this was a small thing that was misdirected in this thread.

Fair enough. Now I understand the context of your post. :thumbu:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Is Draisaitl even the centre on that line? He takes the draws, just like he does on the McDavid line. But that's because McDavid and Nuge are pathetic in that respect.

He's the centreman for the second line. Face-offs and in all areas of the ice. Face-offs are a part of the responsibility but greater is the support role required across all areas of the ice. After Sheahan, Draisaitl is the best face-off guy, well above RNH and McDavid. However I do think that Nuge is around 50% face-off dot this year - significant because in the dumb years he would be the team leader and league leaders.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
As centre, Draisaitl should be the first to engage in puck support along the wall. Instead he's at the redline. RNH comes in and assumes the centre support role behind Yamamoto where Draisaitl eventually returns to at which time Nugent Hopkins releases back to wing support leaving the scrum. It's a small play but for some reason people chose in this thread to criticize Nugent Hopkins in a three goal lead with thirty seconds left in the game. Draisaitl was flying the zone anticipating the puck at centre instead of first ensuring the puck was safely exited.

Confirmation bias on this site that jumps on Nugent Hopkins. Perspective wise this is a small matter in a complete game for this team in a tough building.

For one thing it was a 2 goal lead. For another it would be confirmation bias to assert Nuge was "supporting the play" when Nuge wouldn't touch a fly and was instead watching the play. As he does.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So agree. How many times have we seen Draisaitl make way worse plays than Nuge's/Yama's (not even sure Yama made a "mistake" there)? So often.... yet he'll find some excuse or way to twist it into drai's favor or give him a pass. The last month or more Drai has consistently been one of our very worst players as far as being a liability and costing us games. Making so many horrendous play, decisions and reads combined with putrid effort as a "leader".

Maybe you can keep telling us about Halls, cough, I mean Draisaitls bad attitude problems.

Really I would critique from almost anybody else on the board. Your negative about leaders on this team we've had.

ps please explain how Nuge is providing support by being caught outside his zone when the puck predictably breaks inside the Oilers zone and with Nuge on WRONG side of the puck. Nuge allowed an outmanned situation there on the boards by being an abject passenger unwilling to go into a scrum and battle.

Its fun, frankly, to see Yama on the same line as Nuge as it affords us these looks.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's a very simple play. Centre man provides defensive support. Protecting a lead even more important.

Your bias is embarrassing yourself with comments like that. Be better and your credibility will be better for it.

Nuge avoids physical contact and scrums anytime he can. That's not bias to state that, its longterm observation of the butter soft player.

I'm far from the only one that spotted and seen it. Nuge bail is widely known.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Drai has struggled the last month or so, no doubt about it, and the player himself will tell you that. But credit where it is due, I thought he was pretty good yesterday. Came out with some pee and vinegar, and moved his feet. When he gets the boots moving, he's hard to knock off his feet and can make plays. Very engaged in all aspects of the game, so I'm happy for him and for the team by extension. We need the Drai back from earlier in the year if we are to have a chance at playoffs.

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Didn't watch the game, but saw the Drai elbow and that he got on the score sheet. Just a couple nights ago I was thinking back to 16-17 in the first round when he speared someone in the bag and went supernova after that for the rest of the playoffs.

Sure would be nice if that's all it takes to snap him outta this funk.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Maybe you can keep telling us about Halls, cough, I mean Draisaitls bad attitude problems.

Really I would critique from almost anybody else on the board. Your negative about leaders on this team we've had.

ps please explain how Nuge is providing support by being caught outside his zone when the puck predictably breaks inside the Oilers zone and with Nuge on WRONG side of the puck. Nuge allowed an outmanned situation there on the boards by being an abject passenger unwilling to go into a scrum and battle.

Its fun, frankly, to see Yama on the same line as Nuge as it affords us these looks.

News flash... part of this organization's woes are because the leaders aren't great leaders and tend to stop playing the right way. It's an ongoing theme. I love Nuge and Connor but i have zero issues calling them out if i feel they are doing the right things. I have less issues with production dropping as long as they put in an honest effort and play the right way.

Please explain why drai (who's responsibility it was supposed to be to be on the d side support) went instead and floated over to the center line hoping for an empty net chance. Nuge covered for drai and when drai finally realized his error he went to the proper position Nuge moved back out where he should have been. Sure Nuge kind of veered a bit to the wrong side but Drai was way more negligent at the beginning and went directly to the wrong side completely abandoning his d side support.

That's what's mind blowing... Sure i can understand a bit of criticism for Nuge there maybe... but Drai was totally the biggest culprit on that play and you somehow can't see it or are just completely willfully ignorant to it. I mean it's not an ergregously bad play but still drai was the main culprit in a not very defensive minded decision. Wasn't a good play by drai but i wouldn't have really even said anything but you calling out Nuge and not saying anything about drai's fault in it is ridonkulous and needs to be addressed.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
News flash... part of this organization's woes are because the leaders aren't great leaders and tend to stop playing the right way. It's an ongoing theme. I love Nuge and Connor but i have zero issues calling them out if i feel they are doing the right things. I have less issues with production dropping as long as they put in an honest effort and play the right way.

Please explain why drai (who's responsibility it was supposed to be to be on the d side support) went instead and floated over to the center line hoping for an empty net chance. Nuge covered for drai and when drai finally realized his error he went to the proper position Nuge moved back out where he should have been. Sure Nuge kind of veered a bit to the wrong side but Drai was way more negligent at the beginning and went directly to the wrong side completely abandoning his d side support.

That's what's mind blowing... Sure i can understand a bit of criticism for Nuge there maybe... but Drai was totally the biggest culprit on that play and you somehow can't see it or are just completely willfully ignorant to it. I mean it's not an ergregously bad play but still drai was the main culprit in a not very defensive minded decision. Wasn't a good play by drai but i wouldn't have really even said anything but you calling out Nuge and not saying anything about drai's fault in it is ridonkulous and needs to be addressed.

When the same thing happens with 3 different sets of "youngsters", the problem is the Oilers, not the youngsters.

It's like a guy who buys three different sets of puppies and is baffled why they all pee on the carpet ... it's because he's a dumb ass, not the puppies.

You have to give young players help ON THE ICE, not blowhard old fogies who can talk about 2004.

When you have support on the ice, young players will trust in your system and buy in to whatever you want them to do because they can see clear results.

This team hasn't had a consistent 2nd line for 12 years and they wonder why offensive young players are over-reaching for offence ... anyone who can't figure this out still is a moron.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
When the same thing happens with 3 different sets of "youngsters", the problem is the Oilers, not the youngsters.

It's like a guy who buys three different sets of puppies and is baffled why they pee on the carpet ... it's because he's a dumb ass, not the puppies.

You have to give young players help ON THE ICE, not blowhard old fogies who can talk about 2004.

When you have support on the ice, young players will trust in your system and buy in to whatever you want them to do because they can see clear results.

This team hasn't had a consistent 2nd line for 12 years and they wonder why offensive young players are over-reaching for offence ... anyone who can't figure this out still is a moron.
Yes, part of the issues were on management. I think it's been an issue that this team is afraid to call out and hold their young guns accountable. They want them to like it here and stay. Spoil them... it was (not sure if still) a country club setting. The young guys had/have diplomatic immunity and what they say went regardless of what the coaches wanted them to do. So ya.... it's partly on the culture of past managements. Not sure if this is changing.

But it's a double edged sword. If you start holding them more accountable and give them a bit of a hard time for not doing the right things and rag on them they might get pi**ed and demand out.

Sure they could use help but you play with the cards you're dealt and continue to play the right way instead of sulking and trying to cheat your way through. It's how good leaders grind through adversity.

We see them "over reaching for offence" when they have the lead or the game is tied for crying out loud. Poor excuse.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yes, part of the issues were on management. I think it's been an issue that this team is afraid to call out and hold their young guns accountable. They want them to like it here and stay. Spoil them... it was (not sure if still) a country club setting. The young guys had/have diplomatic immunity and what they say went regardless of what the coaches wanted them to do. So ya.... it's partly on the culture of past managements. Not sure if this is changing.

But it's a double edged sword. If you start holding them more accountable and give them a bit of a hard time for not doing the right things and rag on them they might get pi**ed and demand out.

Sure they could use help but you play with the cards you're dealt and continue to play the right way instead of sulking and trying to cheat your way through. It's how good leaders grind through adversity.

We see them "over reaching for offence" when they have the lead or the game is tied for crying out loud. Poor excuse.

No the reality is this team wants it both ways.

They do effectively ask 2-3 young players to basically carry an entire offence and they've been doing this now for like 10+ years minimum.

That message is sent to the young player.

But then they also expect perfect 2-way play.

This is a ridiculous ask of 19-23 year old players, no other team in the NHL is stupid enough to think this is workable.

Asking 2 players to carry your entire offence + play strong 2 way hockey is not a realistic ask. It's idiocy. It's basically abdicating all responsibility a franchise has and saying "well you 2 guys need to bail us out, we need 120+ points, plus 24 minutes ice time, plus very strong defensive play to make up for all the things we can't give you".

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

They do effectively ask 2-3 young players to basically carry an entire offence and they've been doing this now for like 10+ years minimum.

This is a ridiculous ask of 19-23 year old players, no other team in the NHL is stupid enough to think this is workable.

Asking 2 players to carry your entire offence + play strong 2 way hockey is not a realistic ask. It's idiocy.

Excellent post. Could not express it better. I appreciate some posters here getting it and realizing that what the club asks of McDrai is untenable. No team gets that much out of its star players and particularly its young star players. One could make an argument the Hawks did but that club had enormous depth support, Hossa, and an allstar D. Theres no team around where 2 players do so much for the club, essentially carry it, and the expectations here are that they do so much more..

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Asking 2 players to carry your entire offence + play strong 2 way hockey is not a realistic ask. It's idiocy. It's basically abdicating all responsibility a franchise has and saying "well you 2 guys need to bail us out, we need 120+ points, plus 24 minutes ice time, plus very strong defensive play to make up for all the things we can't give you".

Not perfect... just not completely putrid. Hm, Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak seem to have no trouble doing this....

Panarin on an iffy Rangers team is a plus 17 the list goes on and on.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Excellent post. Could not express it better. I appreciate some posters here getting it and realizing that what the club asks of McDrai is untenable. No team gets that much out of its star players and particularly its young star players. One could make an argument the Hawks did but that club had enormous depth support, Hossa, and an allstar D. Theres no team around where 2 players do so much for the club, essentially carry it, and the expectations here are that they do so much more..

With the expectation too that they are never allowed to get frustrated and must always have 100% trust in a "system" (the system being they must do everything basically) even when it's not working.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Laughable. "so much more". Just play at least respectable defensively. Clearly they often do not. These excuses for Drai and Connor are ridiculous. Kudos to them for carrying the offensive load. Doesn't mean they can leak chances and goals at will too. Such a loser mind set by some posters. "ah, you score a lot, good enough, don't have to give a s*** about D". THIS is the mentality i think the organization had with hall etc and THIS is part of the reason we are continually where we are. Loser mentality like this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not perfect... just not completely putrid. Hm, Bergeron, Marchand, and Pastrnak seem to have no trouble doing this....

Panarin on an iffy Rangers team is a plus 17 the list goes on and on.

Bergeron and Marchand are 22? Makes a big difference when both of them are 30+.

And they still get more help. They have a better D and better goaltending on top of better offensive depth.

The Bruins have 8 players past Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta with 4 or more even strength goals, the Oilers have 4 and RNH really just joined that club very recently.

So no, they don't get the same amount of help the Bruins trio gets.

The Rangers have 10 guys with 4 or more ES goals past Panarin/Strome, along with a better blue line and better goaltending.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Bergeron and Marchand are 22? Makes a big difference when both of them are 30+.

And they still get more help. They have a better D and better goaltending on top of better offensive depth.

The Bruins have 8 players past Marchand/Bergeron/Pasta with 4 or more even strength goals, the Oilers have 4 and RNH really just joined that club very recently.

So no, they don't get the same amount of help the Bruins trio gets.

More excuses. It shouldn't matter what the other players on your team does. Play RESPONSIBLY and DO NOT CHEAT. Do your part, lead by example and let the things unfold as they will. Trying to over reach and do too much and abandoning basic team play won't help any. They should know by now it makes things WORSE.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
More excuses. It shouldn't matter what the other players on your team does. Play RESPONSIBLY and DO NOT CHEAT. Do your part, lead by example and let the things unfold as they will. Trying to over reach and do too much and abandoning basic team play won't help any. They should know by now it makes things WORSE.

Keep asking two young players to never get frustrated while asking them to play perfect hockey and carry an entire inept offence see how that goes.

If you're dumb enough to not have learned anything from the previous two Oiler rebuilds, well then you kinda deserve the result you get I would guess.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

God forbid anyone else have any responsibility for what happens on the ice when one of Draisaitl or McDavid are out there. Basic team play suggests that there should be 5 skaters out there contributing offensively and defensively. The way you post it's those two alone who are the cause for any goal against when they are out there.

Load of BS.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
God forbid anyone else have any responsibility for what happens on the ice when one of Draisaitl or McDavid are out there. Basic team play suggests that there should be 5 skaters out there contributing offensively and defensively. The way you post it's those two alone who are the cause for any goal against when they are out there.

Load of BS.

Man who asks wife

To do all the work raising kids

Clean/cook

Also be the primary breadwinner for the household and work

And never complain or have a bad attitude about it

Is baffled why he's twice divorced and his current wife is getting unhappy.

lol.

Reactions: iCanada

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Laughable. "so much more". Just play at least respectable defensively. Clearly they often do not. These excuses for Drai and Connor are ridiculous. Kudos to them for carrying the offensive load. Doesn't mean they can leak chances and goals at will too. Such a loser mind set by some posters. "ah, you score a lot, good enough, don't have to give a s*** about D". THIS is the mentality i think the organization had with hall etc and THIS is part of the reason we are continually where we are. Loser mentality like this.

So in your mind McD and Drai and Hall have a "loser mentality"?

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Is Draisaitl even the centre on that line? He takes the draws, just like he does on the McDavid line. But that's because McDavid and Nuge are typically pathetic in that respect. Although looking at the numbers and Nuge is actually over 50% this year? That's a stunner lol.

This

Between Nuge, Drai, and McD, they all need to learn a hybrid defensive scheme as they all play all positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad