Post-Game Talk: Extend Mike Smith

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Am I the only one who thought Smith looked super shaky? He kept the puck out, but it's not like he had some confidence inspiring game.

I don't mean to be a downer, my point is just that he looked like the same Mike Smith, just with a more fortunate result.

With that said, they needed that W, so good on him for fighting through it.

Any specific moments you'd like to describe? To me he looked just fine, and made some grade A, point blank saves. The only puck that got by him was a flukey deflection.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting. From the video looks to me like Draisaitl's floated out near the red line looking for the puck to pop out for a shot at empty net action instead of supporting Yamamoto on the wall. Nuge goes in to support the 145 pound winger and Draisaitl loops back to provide centre man support. Regardless the line got the job done and the team with a massive win in a tough rink. Too bad all the Pacific Division teams won today. But a solid team win.

Nuge provide support? He's watching the scrum, as he invariably is. Not getting his hands dirty, watching somebody else try to do the grunt work. Pretty typical RNH. That he's watching the lightest player in the NHL do the grunt work is a bit funny.

Because Nuge is busy watching the play Yama is outnumbered in the scrum and inevitably loses the puck, with Nuge on the wrong side of it. Nuge is doing nothing else there than watch the scrum, without engaging, and in all that time figures the astute thing to do is move up ice, when the 153lb Yama is inevitably losing the puck to two Bruins.

Draisaitl engages in as much puck battle and board scrums as any forward on this team. What specious analysis above.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That wasn't even the worst time RNH bailed on Yam along the boards.

I forget when it was, but Yam disrupted their breakout and the puck went into RNH's corner. Yam flew in and started battling against two Bruins while RNH button hooked and bolted for the neutral zone.

It's hard to be a fan of player who is that soft.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

I forget when it was, but Yam disrupted their breakout and the puck went into RNH's corner. Yam flew in and started battling against two Bruins while RNH button hooked and bolted for the neutral zone.

He sets a poor example for the young guys.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

It's funny how in the trade thread, someone mentioned that it is a bad idea to trade RNH during the 'prime' of his career...I dont think anyone [maybe aside from Raab] is advocating trading him for scraps but, like you said, it's hard to be a fan of a player that plays the way he does.

And if this version of RNH is his prime...then what's he like at his worst?

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Nuge provide support? He's watching the scrum, as he invariably is. Not getting his hands dirty, watching somebody else try to do the grunt work. Pretty typical RNH. That he's watching the lightest player in the NHL do the grunt work is a bit funny.

Because Nuge is busy watching the play Yama is outnumbered in the scrum and inevitably loses the puck, with Nuge on the wrong side of it. Nuge is doing nothing else there than watch the scrum, without engaging, and in all that time figures the astute thing to do is move up ice, when the 153lb Yama is inevitably losing the puck to two Bruins.

Draisaitl engages in as much puck battle and board scrums as any forward on this team. What specious analysis above.

What's specious is your continual analysis of Drai's play.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
He sets a poor example for the young guys.

Ya, it's a leadership issue. Drai, Nuge, Connor at times etc. That's the most frustrating part. The lower tier guys are generally trying harder to play the right way when the top guys clearly don't give a **** more often than you'd like to see.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Even look at the video clip in the thread. Yama late, goalie pulled situation not only fails to get the puck deep he's easily stopped on the boards just outside the Oilers line. Of course he's desperate to try to battle there, he just realized he ****ed up. Meanwhile Drai with a textbook chip it up to himself clear, and somehow that empty net goal gets attributed to Yama being on the ice.

Its really incredible the praise this kid gets. He blows chance after scoring chance, has no scoring hands, and he's playing on a stacked NHL line. He's getting all the credit for that line, lol.

I think - with due respect - this is one of your worst takes from a play that you've posted. Very biased opinion.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I think - with due respect - this is one of your worst takes from a play that you've posted. Very biased opinion.
So agree. How many times have we seen Draisaitl make way worse plays than Nuge's/Yama's (not even sure Yama made a "mistake" there)? So often.... yet he'll find some excuse or way to twist it into drai's favor or give him a pass. The last month or more Drai has consistently been one of our very worst players as far as being a liability and costing us games. Making so many horrendous play, decisions and reads combined with putrid effort as a "leader".

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

As centre, Draisaitl should be the first to engage in puck support along the wall. Instead he's at the redline. RNH comes in and assumes the centre support role behind Yamamoto where Draisaitl eventually returns to at which time Nugent Hopkins releases back to wing support leaving the scrum. It's a small play but for some reason people chose in this thread to criticize Nugent Hopkins in a three goal lead with thirty seconds left in the game. Draisaitl was flying the zone anticipating the puck at centre instead of first ensuring the puck was safely exited.

Confirmation bias on this site that jumps on Nugent Hopkins. Perspective wise this is a small matter in a complete game for this team in a tough building.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
As centre, Draisaitl should be the first to engage in puck support along the wall. Instead he's at the redline. RNH comes in and assumes the centre support role behind Yamamoto where Draisaitl eventually returns to at which time Nugent Hopkins releases back to wing support leaving the scrum. It's a small play but for some reason people chose in this thread to criticize Nugent Hopkins in a three goal lead with thirty seconds left in the game. Draisaitl was flying the zone anticipating the puck at centre instead of first ensuring the puck was safely exited.

Confirmation bias on this site that jumps on Nugent Hopkins. Perspective wise this is a small matter in a complete game for this team in a tough building.

Yup, Drai likely should have swung to the defensive side of the puck but chose to swing to the offensive side and hope for a chance at the empty netter. Doesn't surprise me at all. I've been seeing Drai cheat so often it's almost status quo.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
*checks in on hfboards for the first time in 2020*

Edmonton board: Draisatl is killing this team!

Me: i'll try again in 2021.

I don't blame you. It's crazy how people turn the smallest thing into an opportunity to bash Drai. He's played better the last two games but the barbs continue to come out. Now people have resorted to microanalyzing his positioning on a play in which he scored an empty net goal.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

This was the centre man's role to be first in and provide puck support protecting a two goal lead in the neutral zone. Draisaitl was out of position and RNH moved in to provide the centre support at the blue line. Watch the video and you'll see Draisaitl move to that space where he should be and RNH disengages as he should as the winger. Pretty simple and small play to protect a lead with good zone coverage

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Not only that but he’s on the wrong side of the puck again. These guys never learn.

Nuge was basically covering for Drai's responsiblities (Drai should have been in there supporting). Once Drai figured it out eventually and looped back and got into proper position Nuge got back to his proper coverage.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
This was the centre man's role to be first in and provide puck support protecting a two goal lead in the neutral zone. Draisaitl was out of position and RNH moved in to provide the centre support at the blue line. Watch the video and you'll see Draisaitl move to that space where he should be and RNH disengages as he should as the winger. Pretty simple and small play to protect a lead with good zone coverage

I think you're talking about the one near the end of the game?

The one I'm referencing was earlier in the game and RNH practically ran over Drai while bailing.

Reactions: frag2

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't blame you. It's crazy how people turn the smallest thing into an opportunity to bash Drai. He's played better the last two games but the barbs continue to come out. Now people have resorted to microanalyzing his positioning on a play in which he scored an empty net goal.

Not a bash at all. He played a strong game and nice to see some physical play too. He and Nuge will provide a solid second line. I chose to call out a bad example to criticize Nugent Hopkins on a small, defensive zone neutral ice play with thirty seconds left in the game and a two goal lead. The centre man's role is to clear to engage and provide support not the winger. There are no perfect players and this was a small thing that was misdirected in this thread.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Is Draisaitl even the centre on that line? He takes the draws, just like he does on the McDavid line. But that's because McDavid and Nuge are typically pathetic in that respect. Although looking at the numbers and Nuge is actually over 50% this year? That's a stunner lol.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I think you're talking about the one near the end of the game?

The one I'm referencing was earlier in the game and RNH practically ran over Drai while bailing.

I've only posted about the end of game video posted here. It is clearly a missed assignment by the centreman which is Draisaitl.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

He was definitely better this game overall but has mostly been quite bad in the last month plus. I was the first to sing his praises when he was playing well and the right way earlier in the season. Yes you can tell his legs have kind of dropped off but that doesn't mean you can't still play responsible and the right way and not cheat. Heck if the legs aren't there the last thing you should be doing is cheating and trying to force plays. You should be simplifying and trying to stay on the D side of the puck more often instead of having to use more energy to scramble back to position. he should be a much better player than this. Hopefully he'll finally get it and play more of a team first game more consistently.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Very happy with the game Yamamoto is showing on this recall, as he gets more comfortable I expect his effectiveness to increase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad