Expectations for this core

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
This core has proven they don't have what it takes to win. Bunch of first overall picks that have been disappointments. I don't see how another first overall pick in McDavid is magically going to change things.

I expect this core to continue to lose until they are traded away.

Cool. You should probably find a different team tho.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
The True ''core'' going forward:

Taylor Hall
Connor McDavid
Ryan-Nugent-Hopkins
Darnell Nurse
Leon Draisaitl

Everyone else is expendable

9 years of last place hockey, and our 5 player 'core' includes 3 players that played in the CHL last year? Depressing actually.

I hate the term 'core'. It's ridiculous MacT terminology. Nobody should be untouchable or safe. Build the best team you can, period. And I hate counting chickens before they're hatched! Nurse and Drai could both sh#t the bed and never make an impact at the NHL level. McDavid seems like a safe bet though ;) :hockey:

I agree with Stay At Home D - 3 cups is my expectation for a team with 4 first overalls.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Am I weird that I think Eberle is a very important part of the core?

Just wondering.

As for expectations, I'm on for at least 3 cups when all is said and done. Possibly more.

Has anyone won 10 in a row yet. :sarcasm:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
The "core" has been junk for a while now. McDavid will help a lot but won't be able to turn the worst team in the league into the best by himself.

Nurse + Draisaitl are going to be the two pieces that determine how good this team is going to be IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
One player makes a huge difference.

Remove Drew Doughty from the Kings and they have 0 Cups, not 2 and probably would've missed the playoffs for another several years if you remove that pick.

Remove either one of Kane or Toews and they 0 Cups, not 3.

Those players were obtained by a high draft pick, remove them and those teams suddenly become far less "special".

McDavid is far better than any one of Hall, RNH, and Yakupov (who really isn't a true no.1 type pick IMO, just a poor draft year).

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Am I weird that I think Eberle is a very important part of the core?

Just wondering.

As for expectations, I'm on for at least 3 cups when all is said and done. Possibly more.

Has anyone won 10 in a row yet. :sarcasm:

I think Eberle is a core player only if Nurse and/or LD develop as advertised. Eberle is a very good goal scorer, and those are still very important. Ask STL

But if they dont develop well need to deal Eberle for a top pairing D.

I wouldnt deal him for anything else

I think 3 cups is extremely, extremely tough. I saw 1 cup, 2 WCF and 7 years of playoffs (with various 1st, 2nd round exits) would be gravy.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
If LA offered Doughty straight up I'd drive him to the airport myself.

Lol I'd piggyback him up here if that'd what it took but that's a top 3 for a top 3.

But come on,

ex·pend·a·ble
ikˈspendəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of an object) designed to be used only once and then abandoned or destroyed.
"the need for unmanned and expendable launch vehicles"
of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned.
"the region is expendable in the wider context of national politics"

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
One player makes a huge difference.

Remove Drew Doughty from the Kings and they have 0 Cups, not 2 and probably would've missed the playoffs for another several years if you remove that pick.

Remove either one of Kane or Toews and they 0 Cups, not 3.

Those players were obtained by a high draft pick, remove them and those teams suddenly become far less "special".

McDavid is far better than any one of Hall, RNH, and Yakupov (who really isn't a true no.1 type pick IMO, just a poor draft year).

If true (and it remains to be seen if that's the case), that doesn't make any of those other players expendable. You need a strong supporting cast as each of your examples show. Do the Kings win with Doughty but without Kopitar? The Hawks with Kane/Toews but without Hossa? Doubtful.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lol I'd piggyback him up here if that'd what it took but that's a top 3 for a top 3.

But come on,

ex·pend·a·ble
ikˈspendəb(ə)l/
adjective
(of an object) designed to be used only once and then abandoned or destroyed.
"the need for unmanned and expendable launch vehicles"
of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned.
"the region is expendable in the wider context of national politics"

Yeah, I started thinking "expendable" wasn't the right word, and it isn't but the point I was making (and that you understood) was that Hall is a moveable piece if the right deal came along. I'm not sure there's a reasonable deal that I would make for McDavid right now.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
That's nonsense. Any player is expendable if you dream up ridiculous trade situations. For example:

I wouldn't move McDavid for Doughty. And that's the whole point isn't it? I'm not saying LA would offer it but you can't say you wouldn't do it if they did.

I sidetracked this by using "expendable" in the wrong context.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
chopping-wood.jpg

and

rio-nuevo.jpg

and learn how to play the

bee-bearding_5.jpg

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think Eberle is a core player only if Nurse and/or LD develop as advertised. Eberle is a very good goal scorer, and those are still very important. Ask STL

But if they dont develop well need to deal Eberle for a top pairing D.

I wouldnt deal him for anything else

I think 3 cups is extremely, extremely tough. I saw 1 cup, 2 WCF and 7 years of playoffs (with various 1st, 2nd round exits) would be gravy.

Heh...I like to be overly optomistic on these boards.

Piss's people off. (not you)

As for Ebs, I agree to a point. I think of him as a Kurri or Anderson type of player on the team. If he's surrounded by good complimentary players, he is pretty damned close to "core" in my opinion. I think he brings allot to the team.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
I think management expects 1 cup from this team with some tweaks down the road.And some years in the playoffs before they have to trade some high end talent away to keep on budget.As a fan i would like a cup for sure and playoff time absolutely . I think they are a few players away from doing any real damage in this league . we shall see soon enough what this year will look like, and how Tmac can bring order direction to the club

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I would hope our expectations would be a stanley cup at some point, otherwise, what's the point?

I think the better question to ask is, who is apart of this core going forward?

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I didn't sit through 20 years of utter crap hockey to have a team be just decent. A new dynasty is what I expect.

Jakob Chychrun come on down you're the next contestant on the Oilers game on drafting 1st overalls.

Hall
RNH
Yakupov
McDavid
Chychrun

That should guarantee a dynasty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad