Expectations for this core

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
It's the dog days of summer and everyone here is restless to get training camp underway. The upcoming season has been discussed at length, so I'd like to pose a broader question to Oiler fans: Considering the players the Oilers have today, and factoring in the salary cap, what are your expectations for this core? What would you consider to be a success/disappointment?

Keep in mind that the Crosby/Malkin led Penguins have won only 1 cup, Thornton/Marleau's Sharks haven't made it to the Final, and Ovechkin/Backstrom's Capitals haven't made it past the second round. Conversely, the Hawks and Kings both have multiple cups. This is all to say that teams with great (even generational) talent can have limited success in today's NHL compared to past eras, while others have had sustained success.

Personally, I believe this Oiler core needs to win at least 1 cup and be a consistent championship threat for around a decade to be considered a success given the high end talent. Less than that would be a disappointment.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
stanley_cup.png

:nod:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's the dog days of summer and everyone here is restless to get training camp underway. The upcoming season has been discussed at length, so I'd like to pose a broader question to Oiler fans: Considering the players the Oilers have today, and factoring in the salary cap, what are your expectations for this core? What would you consider to be a success/disappointment?

Keep in mind that the Crosby/Malkin led Penguins have won only 1 cup, Thornton/Marleau's Sharks haven't made it to the Final, and Ovechkin/Backstrom's Capitals haven't made it past the second round. Conversely, the Hawks and Kings both have multiple cups. This is all to say that teams with great (even generational) talent can have limited success in today's NHL compared to past eras, while others have had sustained success.

Personally, I believe this Oiler core needs to win at least 1 cup and be a consistent championship threat for around a decade to be considered a success given the high end talent. Less than that would be a disappointment.

Right now? This team has so many holes yet to fill I'd say they're more like the Caps than anything.

To be successful? They have to win a cup, there's no other measurement for success in professional sports. To get there? Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart and Talbot all have to be who we all pray they are or Chiarelli has to work some incredible magic. The scoring forwards are obviously set, the 2-way grinders don't seem to be there (to me anyway), and the Defense is outright scary. Long way to go.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
People kinda underestimate the Pens I think, they should have been in three SCF at least if not for bad luck with injuries.

I remember that second year of Crosby where they started to take off and you could just sense it coming that they were going to be a powerhouse and I hope that we can kinda mimic that without the injuries. I just remember being so jealous of their situation.

Beyond that I think the NHL is eventually (probably soon actually) going to clamp down on the overly defensive nature of the game. It's not good for business or TV ratings, people want to see goals and they want to see the star players scoring them. I think they want more scoring and like the NBA are going to start making rule changes that benefit more offensive minded teams.

So a lot of the "rules" that I think some people think are gospel might be going out the window fairly soon.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Im going to be honest , anything less than a cup before McDavid's ELC is over is considered a fail to me , due to the fact thats when the core will have to be shrunk considerably

If that's the goal,PC really needs to get serious in acquiring a Number 1 Defenseman.

We aren't going to win a Stanley Cup by that time if we don't have one.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

that's the minimum

Right now? This team has so many holes yet to fill I'd say they're more like the Caps than anything.

To be successful? They have to win a cup, there's no other measurement for success in professional sports. To get there? Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart and Talbot all have to be who we all pray they are or Chiarelli has to work some incredible magic. The scoring forwards are obviously set, the 2-way grinders don't seem to be there (to me anyway), and the Defense is outright scary. Long way to go.

that's mandatory. without the D and the G, all else will be a waste. Thankfully, we finally have a GM willing to trade a highend foward for a D. To me, this has been the root of their failure from day 1.

I see at least 1, and probably 2, of the 'core' not being here in 2 years, maybe even in 1.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
How about making the playoffs first?

I mean we only added McDavid to the "core" and the other parts of the core have proved absolutely nothing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I expect this core to make the Oilers a playoffs team 6 of next 8 season.
Whatever happens once we make it is crapshoot.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Yeah, we "only" added the best prospect in a generation. :shakehead

And Crosby made the playoffs his first year?

Look, I am not saying the Oilers won't be good eventually. But this team and other fans have this problem every year. Its Stanley Cup or bust. Why can't we try and make the playoffs or at least play meaningful games down the stretch and build from there?

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
If we finish top 20 I'll be pretty happy to be fair. My expectation for this team is to start making progress.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Look, I am not saying the Oilers won't be good eventually. But this team and other fans have this problem every year. Its Stanley Cup or bust. Why can't we try and make the playoffs or at least play meaningful games down the stretch and build from there?

Nobody is saying that. This thread is clearly about expectations over the long term.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Except this thread isn't about what we want to accomplish this season.

I think there is a fair amount that goes into winning Stanley Cups that goes beyond just building a great team, and a lot of it isn't really something anyone can control. In that sense I think my expectation would be multiple contending seasons, but they will definitely be viewed as a disappointment if they don't get there at least once.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Cup nothing else

They have the pieces, just need to fill in some other things

Trade anyone to make it happen

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
This core is too soft to do much in the playoffs. Nurse may help in that respect in a few years, but hey need to get some grit/toughness in the top six.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This core is too soft to do much in the playoffs. Nurse may help in that respect in a few years, but hey need to get some grit/toughness in the top six.

Disagree, Tampa and Chicago prove maasive toughness isn't needed. Oilers have grit in top 6 with hall, yak, poo.

Klefbom, fayne, nurse provide toughness on D

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Im going to be honest , anything less than a cup before McDavid's ELC is over is considered a fail to me , due to the fact thats when the core will have to be shrunk considerably

Not a fact. Maybe one of them thats it.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I didn't sit through 20 years of utter crap hockey to have a team be just decent. A new dynasty is what I expect.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
This core has proven they don't have what it takes to win. Bunch of first overall picks that have been disappointments. I don't see how another first overall pick in McDavid is magically going to change things.

I expect this core to continue to lose until they are traded away.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
This core has proven they don't have what it takes to win. Bunch of first overall picks that have been disappointments. I don't see how another first overall pick in McDavid is magically going to change things.

I expect this core to continue to lose until they are traded away.

The core was surrounded by a mound of crap and forced to do it themselves as 20 yos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad