Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I expect them to protect Brandon "Mandog" Manning.

mens_t_shirt_-_spaceballs_-barf_im_a_mog_-_khaki_cropped_grande.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
An exhaustive look at the Flyers ED options.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...2017-philadelphia-flyers-vegas-golden-knights

Re-examining the field

At a high-level, we’ve spent the past two days breaking down the eleven most viable candidates for the Flyers’ three final expansion draft protection spots (which will go to one forward, one defenseman, and one goalie). Let’s run through each of those groups one more time, ranked from most likely to be protected to least likely to be protected.
Forwards:

Jordan Weal
Michael Raffl
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare
Nick Cousins
Scott Laughton
Dale Weise
Matt Read

Defensemen:

Andrew MacDonald
Brandon Manning

Goalies:

Anthony Stolarz
Michal Neuvirth

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Protecting Manning or MacDonald just doesn't sit right.

Trade ManDog to Calgary or Vancouver so he can haunt McDavid and then acquire a better defensemen to protect that will also provide insulation for our young D prospects and depth in case there are injuries.

RHD Stephen Johns of Dallas for example.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota

Well... unless they cannot get a new Weal Deal... it looks like Raffl is a goner.

... Would it be considered collusion to come upon a mutual agreement with Weal and, for the sake of the Team... and therefore, for Weal's Team success... have a handshake Deal whereupon no Official Signing takes place until after the Expansion Draft? They could sweeten the Deal with additional money on the Contract... and it's not like in the oft chance the Flyers back out, Weal couldn't then hit the Open Market and recoup with an equal or better Deal... and if Weal Backs out, the Flyers would at least be able to protect and keep Raffl.

We want Weal back... They Flyers are on record as wanting him back... Weal has stated that he'd like to return... So, with everyone on board, why rush the Deal? Why not wait until after the ED? Granted, it would mean that Weal would be Officially a UFA at that point... but, under the cover wink, wink Deals have to occur often... I'd assume.

Barring this, IMO, it is a sure bet that unless the Flyers decide to protect Neuvy -- at which point we can Hexy post-haste -- that Raffl would almost certainly be selected off of that list of LV Options... Am I wrong???

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well... unless they cannot get a new Weal Deal... it looks like Raffl is a goner.

... Would it be considered collusion to come upon a mutual agreement with Weal and, for the sake of the Team... and therefore, for Weal's Team success... have a handshake Deal whereupon no Official Signing takes place until after the Expansion Draft? They could sweeten the Deal with additional money on the Contract... and it's not like in the oft chance the Flyers back out, Weal couldn't then hit the Open Market and recoup with an equal or better Deal... and if Weal Backs out, the Flyers would at least be able to protect and keep Raffl.

We want Weal back... They Flyers are on record as wanting him back... Weal has stated that he'd like to return... So, with everyone on board, why rush the Deal? Why not wait until after the ED? Granted, it would mean that Weal would be Officially a UFA at that point... but, under the cover wink, wink Deals have to occur often... I'd assume.

Barring this, IMO, it is a sure bet that unless the Flyers decide to protect Neuvy -- at which point we can Hexy post-haste -- that Raffl would almost certainly be selected off of that list of LV Options... Am I wrong???

I don't think there is any rule against this.

The only downside is that Vegas will have an opportunity to sign him prior to July 1st per the Expansion rules. If they select him while he is still a UFA, he counts as the player claimed from the Flyers. They would have to really destroy our offer to him though in this case.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Protecting Manning or MacDonald just doesn't sit right.

Trade ManDog to Calgary or Vancouver so he can haunt McDavid and then acquire a better defensemen to protect that will also provide insulation for our young D prospects and depth in case there are injuries.

RHD Stephen Johns of Dallas for example.

I was in this boat earlier in the season but at this point I'm fine with just protecting Manning & avoiding a trade. I don't have any delusions of MacDonald coming out of the lineup so acquiring another defensemen would likely result in one less prospect making the team.

I wouldn't mind acquiring another forward though if a deal is out there.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I don't think there is any rule against this.

The only downside is that Vegas will have an opportunity to sign him prior to July 1st per the Expansion rules. If they select him while he is still a UFA, he counts as the player claimed from the Flyers. They would have to really destroy our offer to him though in this case.

Say WHAT?!?!

Does that mean they have the opportunity to SELECT him... or to SIGN him as a a Free Agent where he would have to agree to terms? If the latter be the case, he can just hold to the under the table Deal with the Flyers and refuse the Vegas Offer... But, if the former is the case... that sucks.

Maybe the NHL set things up to prevent such Deals as I suggested... in that case, I guess The Weal Deal must be made Real... and Raffl is toast. :(

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Say WHAT?!?!

Does that mean they have the opportunity to SELECT him... or to SIGN him as a a Free Agent where he would have to agree to terms? If the latter be the case, he can just hold to the under the table Deal with the Flyers and refuse the Vegas Offer... But, if the former is the case... that sucks.

Maybe the NHL set things up to prevent such Deals as I suggested... in that case, I guess The Weal Deal must be made Real... and Raffl is toast. :(

Weal would have to agree to a contract with them, just how normal free agency works. They just get an early crack at UFAs.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm thinking that this damn ED is going to muddle up the Pre-EntryDraft Trades... GMs won't want to worry about losing Players just obtained... nor adjusting their ED Protection Plans.

I think there will still be trades..they will just be different than years past. A team like Minnesota is in a bad situation where they are definitely going to lose a quality player for nothing unless they trade them for something. There are quite a few teams in this situation.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Weal would have to agree to a contract with them, just how normal free agency works. They just get an early crack at UFAs.

Okay... so they actually will be in the same exact situation as the Flyers with Weal... except that if they do sign him, the Flyers are off the hook and have no more responsibility in the ED... So, if the wink, wink Weal Deal can be agreed upon, they Flyers can hold off on the Official signing... and protect Raffl. That's cool with me.

I think there will still be trades..they will just be different than years past. A team like Minnesota is in a bad situation where they are definitely going to lose a quality player for nothing unless they trade them for something. There are quite a few teams in this situation.

Yes... I'm sot saying that there won't be any Trades, just that it will muddle up the works with them.

... While Minny might want to Deal to make sure they don't lose so much... they will still have to find a dance partner... and we must keep in mind that the other Teams have their Protection Plans and don't want to take on a Player who might get grabbed, nor expose a protected Player of theirs... And Minny would also have to make sure that any Player(s) they get in return isn't ripe for selecting... looking for Draft Picks or younger Contracts... So they all are limited until the ED is completed.

I'm just imagining a sort of moratorium on Deals for the most part... with a smattering of Deals being made. And they we may see it again next OffSeason... when more Flyers Prospects become ripe for Quebec/Seattle/Whoever.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Okay... so they actually will be in the same exact situation as the Flyers with Weal... except that if they do sign him, the Flyers are off the hook and have no more responsibility in the ED... So, if the wink, wink Weal Deal can be agreed upon, they Flyers can hold off on the Official signing... and protect Raffl. That's cool with me.

Yes... I'm sot saying that there won't be any Trades, just that it will muddle up the works with them.

... While Minny might want to Deal to make sure they don't lose so much... they will still have to find a dance partner... and we must keep in mind that the other Teams have their Protection Plans and don't want to take on a Player who might get grabbed, nor expose a protected Player of theirs... And Minny would also have to make sure that any Player(s) they get in return isn't ripe for selecting... looking for Draft Picks or younger Contracts... So they all are limited until the ED is completed.

I'm just imagining a sort of moratorium on Deals for the most part... with a smattering of Deals being made. And they we may see it again next OffSeason... when more Flyers Prospects become ripe for Quebec/Seattle/Whoever.

If there is a moratorium on trades until after the Expansion Draft, it will just make the Entry Draft all the more exciting. Once teams reveal their Protected/Exposed lists, things will really start to heat up on the trade front.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Flyers are in an odd spot because I'm with the group of people who say trade for somebody's dman who will get lost (or forward), but why do you want to obtain another dman when you have a flood of them coming. I want Hextall to make the most of his assets, but unfortunately I think he's just in a funky spot.

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Teams need to be careful about you can't have a "deal" in place and not make it official til after the draft. You would have to think Weal and the Flyers are a good fit for each other. Weal was injured multiple times this year and is unlikely gets a great deal from another team and not allow the Flyers to try to match the offer.

Apologizes if posted already. http://www.tsn.ca/concerns-about-nhl-expansion-draft-emerge-1.609388
"There has to be a high level of diligence to make sure those things don't happen and to make sure people know there will be significant penalties imposed if they were to screw around with the rules,'' Daly said.

So think the Flyers will wait it out and take a chance in losing Weal since he is a UFA to save a spot for Laughton. Mostly likely Weal is back in the orange and black. So the Flyers do gain an extra spot if this works. Think Vegas takes Weise.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Teams need to be careful about you can't have a "deal" in place and not make it official til after the draft. You would have to think Weal and the Flyers are a good fit for each other. Weal was injured multiple times this year and is unlikely gets a great deal from another team and not allow the Flyers to try to match the offer.

Apologizes if posted already. http://www.tsn.ca/concerns-about-nhl-expansion-draft-emerge-1.609388
"There has to be a high level of diligence to make sure those things don't happen and to make sure people know there will be significant penalties imposed if they were to screw around with the rules,'' Daly said.

So think the Flyers will wait it out and take a chance in losing Weal since he is a UFA to save a spot for Laughton. Mostly likely Weal is back in the orange and black. So the Flyers do gain an extra spot if this works. Think Vegas takes Weise.

'Think'... or 'hope'? It would be great if they take Weise and hextall gains a mulligan and uses it to sign a better fitting consistent Winger... for a shorter Contact. The Weise at the end of the Season looked good... but I don't believe we will see that Weise all the time.

Back to the wink, wink Weal Deal... So... it is okay to make Deals with Vegas behind the scenes to make sure they don't select a Player... but it is not okay to make a deal with your own UFA to make sure he doesn't get selected??? Damn this 'New' NHL. :shakehead

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I've thought about if the Yotes would consider taking Read. Cap hit is 3.625 but only 3.5 in real dollars (not much of a savings, I know). Read seems like he could be a player Tippett could like. Change of scenery. Just one year. Good example for their young guys. Could also expose him for ED (not that they have a problem here, but could another perk).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Every team has to expose at least two forwards under contract for 17-18 who played 40/70 games, and it looks like Arizona would have to expose McGinn and Richardson right now. Reider is their only other non-exempt forward who is under contract for 17-18, and they have 16 RFAs and UFAs up front.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
'Think'... or 'hope'? It would be great if they take Weise and hextall gains a mulligan and uses it to sign a better fitting consistent Winger... for a shorter Contact. The Weise at the end of the Season looked good... but I don't believe we will see that Weise all the time.

Back to the wink, wink Weal Deal... So... it is okay to make Deals with Vegas behind the scenes to make sure they don't select a Player... but it is not okay to make a deal with your own UFA to make sure he doesn't get selected??? Damn this 'New' NHL. :shakehead
Just a hunch with Weise. Hard working checker, can fight, get the crowd fired up, and be a crowd favorite. Came on strong at the end of year. If I were Vegas, I would go after someone with youth (Weal, Cousins, Leier, or Luby).

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
Just a hunch with Weise. Hard working checker, can fight, get the crowd fired up, and be a crowd favorite. Came on strong at the end of year. If I were Vegas, I would go after someone with youth (Weal, Cousins, Leier, or Luby).
Actually what I would do if I were Vegas would be to reach out to Hextall now to talk about if Del Zotto is interested in Vegas and can come to terms. He is only 26 years old UFA defenseman. Thinking if Vegas has a bunch of UFA's that they are interested in, they could come to terms that way and get a jump on the free agency market. That would count as the player claimed toward that team. So it is possible the player claimed off the Flyers is Del Zotto.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We need a new thread here, but does somebody want to make a new poll too?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

With much pride, I shall play Applegate's parrot in reminding you about LV's limit of selecting 10 unsigned (RFA/UFA) players. It is a strong factor against Laughton, Leier, Weal, or Cousins being selected. I suppose that would also be an issue for them taking Del Zotto. Did I get this right?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Actually what I would do if I were Vegas would be to reach out to Hextall now to talk about if Del Zotto is interested in Vegas and can come to terms. He is only 26 years old UFA defenseman. Thinking if Vegas has a bunch of UFA's that they are interested in, they could come to terms that way and get a jump on the free agency market. That would count as the player claimed toward that team. So it is possible the player claimed off the Flyers is Del Zotto.

I may be wrong with the way that the ED works but I believe that MDZ is an UFA. If LV signs him, which they can, it would not count as a player taken for the draft from the Flyers. They can sign MDZ and still take a player from the Flyers in the draft.

Last edited:

Flyers1987

Apr 23, 2017
I may be wrong with the way that the ED works but I believe that MDZ is an UFA. If LV signs him, which they can, it would not count as a player taken for the draft from the Flyers. They can sign MDZ and still take a player from the Flyers in the draft.
I could be wrong but I'm basing it on only what was in this article from Lebrum back in November of 2016 on TSN.
Is that if Vegas agrees to terms with UFA (Del Zotto) before the 48-hour window of the expansion draft, then that is the claim used against that team (Flyers). Even though Del Zotto is a UFA July 1st, the Flyers still own his rights if not selected in draft and up until July 1st. Why not kick the tires to see if there is interest?

Keep in mind the penalty mentioned below could be used for an example: Weal has an under the table deal with the Flyers to wait unitl after the July 1st before signing to avoid being claimed in the draft. Don't see anyway for Hextall to violate it. He's too calm and collected.

From Lebrum's article
http://www.tsn.ca/concerns-about-nhl-expansion-draft-emerge-1.609388

"Specifically, GMs worry that Vegas could take advantage of the 48-hour window before the expansion draft in June to quietly agree to terms on a deal with a pending unrestricted free agent, then wait until July 1 to sign him, so as to pluck another player off a team's roster in the expansion draft.
This would circumvent the rule that if a team loses a free agent to Vegas in that 48-hour free-agent-signing window, it cannot lose another player in the expansion draft. Some GMs worry that veteran GM George McPhee, who wasn't born yesterday, would take advantage of the situation."....

"Daly said violators of the expansion rules forgo a first-round draft pick, so penalties in the same vein would be "appropriate." New Jersey Devils GM Ray Shero insisted anyone would be crazy to attempt that type of circumvention."

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That is incorrect. If they sign MDZ prior to July 1st, they cannot select anyone from the Flyers.

They can, however, select a player from the Flyers then attempt to sign MDZ on July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad