Expansion draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
With new in the last few days of the proposed expansion draft that seems most likely to take place in summer 2017 I figured a poll on who people would protect would be interesting.

Seems the rules will be:

Protect either:

7 Fwds, 3 Dmen & 1 Goalie
or
8 Skaters & 1 Goalie

Also NMC players will have to be protected, but likely not expiring ones logically.

Also players who are still in their 2nd year of Pro hockey or earlier will not be eligible for the draft.

This means that in 2017:

Morin, Goulbourne, Martel, Sanheim, Konecny, Provorov, Aube-Kubel, Fazleev, Marti, Myers & Willcox (if signed ofc) will be exempt.

Bardreau is a shady area... as he played game last year, but we do not know the cut-off.

For the purpose of this poll please select the 7F, 3D, 1G option... makes it easier to compile and frankly who is going to need to pick 4 of our D! :laugh:

*Ofc some players are not signed (Schenn, Gudas) for then... but I included them as 95% they are still in organisation.
* I did not include Umberger as he is a grey area, may be bought out and unless crazy rules no-one would protect.
*There will likely be a requirement to leave 25% of previous years salary exposed... but it is tricky to know etc and we should not fall foul anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I voted:

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Raffl
Laughton

Del Zotto
Gostisbehere
Gudas

Mason

Cousins/Laughton/Raffl was tough... but I figured Cousins was least likely to be picked up by another team.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Raffl
Laughton

MDZ
Gostisbehere
Gudas (Could also keep Hagg here)

mason

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I voted:

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Raffl
Laughton

Del Zotto
Gostisbehere
Gudas

Mason

Cousins/Laughton/Raffl was tough... but I figured Cousins was least likely to be picked up by another team.

Same vote for me.

Raffl vs. Cousins was really tough for me. I think Cousins could end up being an Andrew Shaw type player for us in the playoffs, but I like Raffl's size and defensive play a bit more..and with a guy like Konecny coming up, having Raffl's size to balance out the lines is important. I also like that Raffl can play all three forward positions..and he seems to be a big part of the lockerroom dynamic.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I went off the board a little bit and gambled that our young guys have great seasons next year, and that MDZ, Mason and Neuvirth aren't re-signed before the expansion draft.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Laughton
Cousins

Gostisbehere
Gudas
Hagg

Stolarz

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Schenn, Simmonds, Raffl, Laughton

Del Zotto, Gostisbehere, Gudas

Mason

I opted for Raffl over Cousins, but that could easily change based on both of their performances leading up to the expansion draft.

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
I went off the board a little bit and gambled that our young guys have great seasons next year, and that MDZ, Mason and Neuvirth aren't re-signed before the expansion draft.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Laughton
Cousins

Gostisbehere
Gudas
Hagg

Stolarz

Did the same except I took Mason instead of Stolarz. Don't really see a need to protect MDZ.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Voted:

Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Couturier, Raffl & Laughton

Del Zotto, Gostisbehere & Gudas

Mason

Quite easy decisions... except of 1 / 2 F spots.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Most of these guys are no brainers. The toughest is Laughton, Cousins, and Raffl. Each guy brings something different but they each help in their own way. I went with Cousins and Raffl. Raffls versatility can't be understated, Cousins has a tenacity that I really love.

I don't think an expansion team would pick Stolarz with the other goalies that will likely be available so I would protect Mason.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Did the same except I took Mason instead of Stolarz. Don't really see a need to protect MDZ.

Until Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers are actually in the NHL and playing well I think you need to keep MDZ, he'll also be a veteran presence for them and he can actually play defense.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Until Provorov, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers are actually in the NHL and playing well I think you need to keep MDZ, he'll also be a veteran presence for them and he can actually play defense.

If Hextall extends him then for sure he'll also protect him. But I wanna see the contract first.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If every team had a great poll like this one we could start doing pretty accurate mock drafts for the 17-18 Vegas team.

RJ8812*

No need to protect Del Zotto? That's crazy. Hagg hasnt even shown he can play at the AHL level consistently, and you're protecting him??? Even if (that's a big IF right now) Hagg develops, he will most likely be nothing more than a 3rd pair defenseman

RJ8812*

It's really not that hard...

Forwards: Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Schenn, Raffl, Laughton (or Cousins)
Defense: Del Zotto, Gostisbehere, Gudas
Goalie: Mason

I would expect that Read would be drafted by the expansion team, although I'm hoping it's MacDonald

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I'm the Leier guy!

Went with the 7-3-1

G, Couts, Jake, Schenn, Simmonds, Laughton, Leier, MDZ, Ghost, Hagg, Ma$e.

Leier over Cousins was a tough choice. I still think Leier will bring more of a complete game to the NHL than Cousins, although Cousins has already done a bit more than I expected to this point. He'll add much needed speed, PK ability, and skill.

Went with MDZ and Hagg over Gudas for skill purposes. I like Radko, but with the youth coming, I think MDZ is a better building block for them. Not ready to give up on Hagg yet either.

Overall...its obviously early to be doing this. It's the topic of the week for sure but a lot could change. MDZ and Mason could turn back into crap. Voracek could regress to a 50-60 point guy, arguably not worth his extravagant contract. Injuries could derail careers. Prospects could bust. Should be quite the process!

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I don't believe a possible expansion draft would do any harm to the Flyers.

In regard to forwards there will be more attractive options with more upside available to the expansion team than Cousins, Raffl or even Laughton. Low risk.

Our defensive core is basically DelZotto + Gostisbehere + Gudas plus prospects who are still excempt.
I wouldn't have sleepless nights over Hägg potentially being exposed in an expansion draft. He is currently underachieving and while having early success in Europe he has been flying under the radar ever since he was drafted.

Stolarz is coming along just fine but there is an abundance of goalies with more upside and/or experience available.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I went:

G
V
Couts
Schenn
Simmonds

(core)

Cousins (because I'm higher on him than Laughton, not Raffl because he's older and may not get selected--still, a risk)

Ghost
Gudas

(d prospects en route anway)

No UFAs hoping they're unattractive selections -- the mid tier players at least

and Stolarz because even if they took M or N -- I doubt you keep both and you resign 1 anyway. So you end up with N / Stolarz in net or Mason / Stolarz (banking UFA for both is unattractive so they don't get selected anyway)

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
What's the draw in going 8 skaters and 1 goalie? So you get to keep 2 less players overall for an extra dman? That would be ******. I guess a team like Nashville might do it?

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
It's a good thing we'd have another season to decide. I didn't pick MDZ simply because I'm skeptical he would be kept on a team friendly deal after next season. I also went with Raffl over Cousins but I can definitely see that changing.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
I voted:

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Schenn
Simmonds
Raffl
Laughton

Del Zotto
Gostisbehere
Gudas

Mason

This is exactly how I voted. I left Cousins exposed for that exact reason too. If this is the worst case scenario we'll be fine!!

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
What's the draw in going 8 skaters and 1 goalie? So you get to keep 2 less players overall for an extra dman? That would be ******. I guess a team like Nashville might do it?

We would likely do that if the draft was another year or two later and Morin/Hagg/Myers/Friedman were panning out to be very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad