Expansion Draft Thread II

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Good move to not select a bunch of goalies, they do have the least value. Question some other moves though but will wait until the other deals are done before final judgement.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Thought Pulkkinen would be in Europe as soon as next season. Didn't Arizona have any decent player available?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
They went gor picks rather than best player available on many teams and the good players they actually took are rumoured as trade bait for even more picks.

I realize they want to build their own culture from the ground up but looks more like a tank job the first season. I genuinely thought VGK were going to be a bubble team in their first season but it seems they wanna draft high in 2018 by the looks of it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Nosek just had a monster season in the AHL as well, and had a monster season in the Czech league before that. He's a good prospect. This hurts the already poor Detroit forward prospect pool more than it hurts Vegas.
Lol. He'll be 25 at the start of next season, he had a very good AHL playoffs but far from a "monster" season. Wings have plenty of bottom 6 talent and Nosek isn't really special. Personally I think LV is so focused on tanking they didn't want to take anyone good from Detroit, something that could help Detroit be worse than LV.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
I realize they want to build their own culture from the ground up but looks more like a tank job the first season. I genuinely thought VGK were going to be a bubble team in their first season but it seems they wanna draft high in 2018 by the looks of it.

Right move in the end, imo. 2018 draft should be quite strong. Good opinion to select your next face of the franchise (after MAF obviously).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They went gor picks rather than best player available on many teams and the good players they actually took are rumoured as trade bait for even more picks.

Yes, it's a surprising strategy, considering the NFL will be invading Vegas in a couple seasons. You'd think the Knights would want to hook a bunch of fans with a team that at least wins a decent amount of games right away.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

How do you get 'tank job' from picking a top 15 goaltender and trying to recreate a high scoring Team Russia line?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good move to not select a bunch of goalies, they do have the least value. Question some other moves though but will wait until the other deals are done before final judgement.

What did you think of the Bellemare deal? :sarcasm:

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Nosek just had a monster season in the AHL as well, and had a monster season in the Czech league before that. He's a good prospect. This hurts the already poor Detroit forward prospect pool more than it hurts Vegas.

The biggest question mark was a 6th rounder not to take Ullmark. That's...ridiculous. Lindberg over Raanta is questionable. Schmidt over Grubauer is a good choice.

Nosek was going to be a 3rd or 4th liner nothing more. It does not hurts Detroits prospect pool as right now the only part of their prospect pool that is any good is their forwards.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
Lol. He'll be 25 at the start of next season, he had a very good AHL playoffs but far from a "monster" season. Wings have plenty of bottom 6 talent and Nosek isn't really special. Personally I think LV is so focused on tanking they didn't want to take anyone good from Detroit, something that could help Detroit be worse than LV.

Well, there wasn't anyone good from Detroit available. So they took one of the cheaper crap options.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

The biggest question mark was a 6th rounder not to take Ullmark. That's...ridiculous. Lindberg over Raanta is questionable. Schmidt over Grubauer is a good choice.

The thing is, they already had their goalies pretty much wrapped up. Fleury + 2nd from PIT is a good deal, Pickard was BPA from Colorado. They had to pick one more goalie to fill their expansion quota, and they opted to take Snow's deal and pick Berube.

Backups and G prospects don't have that much value, so IMO they were wise in not taking goalies with their extra picks. They likely wouldn't have taken Ullmark anyway, so the 6th is just extra. Lindberg was better than Raanta in this case, as they likely valued bottom-6 depth over a would-be 3rd string goalie.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
How many first rounders did Vegas acquire in total? My count is 3. I was expecting like 6 or 7... not sure they really hit a home-run yesterday. Give them a B-

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I get building for the long term but Vegas could have done so much better last night. Staal and Dumba available from the Wild and they pick Erik Haula? They could have rolled with a goalie duo of Fleury/Mrazek or Fleury/Raanta. We get Fleury/Pickard. Got to think this team could be in the running for last overall next year.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
How many first rounders did Vegas acquire in total? My count is 3. I was expecting like 6 or 7... not sure they really hit a home-run yesterday. Give them a B-

There's a good overview on capfriendly: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/goldenknights

The global picture for the next 3 drafts is that they acquired 9 picks and traded away 2. So a +7 so far. And they're currently sitting a 5 additional picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 3 years. Not that impressive (in my opinion), unless they really do some serious flipping using the players they acquired.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Vegas did worse than I had imagined in every capacity.

I get the long view. I get going after picks. I just don't think they did that well either IMO.

They gave up some of their own picks even.

Barring a lot of favorable moves from now until July 1st I would rate the Vegas expansion draft as a bust for Vegas.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
What other teams were they supposed to get a 1st rounder from?

Minnesota, Anaheim. Dumba and Vatanen are worth ATLEAST a first, probably a first and a second, to any other team in the leauge. I dont get why they would agree to a lesser asset to not take those players. Its like getting a nickel not to take the dime.

Winnipeg gave up a first rounder to protect a lesser player.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Minnesota, Anaheim. Dumba and Vatanen are worth ATLEAST a first, probably a first and a second, to any other team in the leauge. I dont get why they would agree to a lesser asset to not take those players. Its like getting a nickel not to take the dime.

Winnipeg gave up a first rounder to protect a lesser player.

Winnipeg didn't give up a 1st rounder.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Minnesota, Anaheim. Dumba and Vatanen are worth ATLEAST a first, probably a first and a second, to any other team in the leauge.

Tuch and Theodore are recent 1st round picks whose value hasn't dropped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad