Expansion Draft Thread II

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I thought Vegas did very well. I don't think they went for a tank as some posters have mentioned. They have a very good goalie, a solid d corps which they will definitely use to make more trades, and some semblance of a forward group. They loaded up on futures as well as giving their team a solid foundation. It's true they are lacking a #1 d and a #1 c but did anybody expect them to find those in this draft? I think they will ice a competitive team next year. And they are far from done making moves.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Marc Methot (OTT)
Alexei Emelin (MTL)
Jason Garrison (TBL)
Clayton Stoner (ANA)
Brayden McNabb (LAK)
Nate Schmidt (WAS)
Griffin Reinhart (EDM)
Jon Merill (NJD)
Lucas Sbisa (VAN)

with all these LHD... who's moved out?

My guess, Methot and Emelin are gone for more futures

so far the most interesting I've seen on here was Methot+6 for 3

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I thought Vegas did very well. I don't think they went for a tank as some posters have mentioned. They have a very good goalie, a solid d corps which they will definitely use to make more trades, and some semblance of a forward group. They loaded up on futures as well as giving their team a solid foundation. It's true they are lacking a #1 d and a #1 c but did anybody expect them to find those in this draft? I think they will ice a competitive team next year. And they are far from done making moves.

I bet they finish dead last

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
GMGM loading up too much on a weak '17 draft class. 6 picks in the first two rounds looks nice, but they're only going to get two (and maybe even just one) solid NHLer out of those picks. Should have tried to load up on '18 and '19 picks instead of '17.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
GMGM loading up too much on a weak '17 draft class. 6 picks in the first two rounds looks nice, but they're only going to get two (and maybe even just one) solid NHLer out of those picks.

Only if they have the worst scouts in the league.

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
People can argue over value here and there, but I think GMGM did reasonably well in most respects. The only true headscratcher for me is trading Schlemko for a 5th. It only makes sense if GMGM is really committed to being bad for a few years and was afraid Schlemko would ruin that because he's a quality defenseman, otherwise they've given away a very good 5/6 d-man for cheap. If Beaulieu is worth a 3rd, Schlemko should've return at least that much.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Minnesota, Anaheim. Dumba and Vatanen are worth ATLEAST a first, probably a first and a second, to any other team in the leauge. I dont get why they would agree to a lesser asset to not take those players. Its like getting a nickel not to take the dime.

Winnipeg gave up a first rounder to protect a lesser player.

pretty sure the expansion draft went right over your head. Those guys were never available to Vegas. If Vegas doesn't take a mutually beneficial deal, those guys are traded pre ED to other teams.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
:laugh: Yeah, no they couldn't.

All those players were left exposed. Sure the teams would have threatened to move them else where if no deals made with Vegas but it's not that easy because other teams would be hesitant to make a trade factoring in that they would be losing some of their own players

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
Vegas could have had a D core of

Johnson-Vatanen
Methot-Dumba
Mcnabb-Bogosian

They really ****ed up being nice

They could have tried....but then half those guys would be traded pre ED and they would be left with the same crappy team, but less prospects/picks.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

Johnson-Vatanen
Methot-Dumba
Mcnabb-Bogosian

Yeah what a bunch of morons over there, getting players like Tuch, Theodore, and 1st rounders, instead of building, potentially, a decent defense for what is going to be a horrendous group of forwards.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
All those players were left exposed. Sure the teams would have threatened to move them else where if no deals made with Vegas but it's not that easy because other teams would be hesitant to make a trade factoring in that they would be losing some of their own players

you're right, but teams like Arizona and Colorado would have feasted off taking those guys for a discount - as getting something is better than nothing. Mcphee isn't an idiot and saw that is exactly what would have happened if he didn't play nice.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

All those players were left exposed after they had deals in place with Vegas. Most of them weren't actually available.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Johnson-Vatanen
Methot-Dumba
Mcnabb-Bogosian

No they really couldn't.

The Wild were very close to trading 2 D-men when they dealt with Vegas before the freeze. Vegas was better off getting what they got from the Wild than letting the Wild trade away 2 D-men and Vegas ends up with less.

Dumba/Brodin/Scandella were NEVER in play for Vegas to take.

From Russo...

Fletcher made clear he explained to center Eric Staal when left unprotected that he was confident the veteran center was safe from being protected. "We had this arrangement with Vegas [for Haula] now for close to a week," Fletcher said. "So I was able to talk to Eric early on, and I don't Eric was ever in danger of not being with our club."

ALMOST a week the deal with Vegas has been done... that means AT LEAST by Friday it was done. Dumba and Scandella being on the exposed list was completely meaningless when the list came out at that point.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
VGK sure has a whack of second- and third-pairing defencemen to move.

I wonder what happens if they misread the market for these guys?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
VGK sure has a whack of second- and third-pairing defencemen to move.

I wonder what happens if they misread the market for these guys?

I think at this point Vegas might be better served to wait until after July 1st if they aren't getting offers they like now. Once the FA pool is depleted on July 1st a lot more teams will circle back around to Vegas and the bidders competing will increase.

Also keep in mind many teams deliberately didn't sign some pending UFAs before the expansion draft. There are some additional deck chairs to be sorted out in the next week we don't usually get each offseason.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's interesting, I expected Vegas would have had a few more post-draft trades lined up already.

There were days of talk... and they are over roster limits... my guess is either:

A.) They are saving stuff for draft day cause thats when big deals go down
B.) they are asking too much right now hoping a desperate team will bite
C.) they are taking their time and hoping camp injuries might inflate prices
D.) the league didn't like the reaction on social media of how fans perceived the expansion draft and won't approve a bunch of bigger name trades just yet so it doesn't look like they are tanking off the bat...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad