Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
They better hope Jarnkrok ups his game and scores 25-30 out of nowhere cause if he doesn't, yikes. I mean I expect someone to get a bump but unless they are grabbing something out of free agency or some other deal were made that's gonna be rough.

Lots of 15 goal guys on that list. If Gourde is their #1C I think obviously he has a bump in production, but as much as I like the player I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him to carry the load. I think the biggest riser of the bunch of going to be Appleton, and then maybe a darkhorse to emerge as a more impactful player could be Geekie? We'll see who they can lure in free agency, a couple of smart signings could really polish up this roster.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Kraken currently have 8 mil to the floor of the Cap. This expansion draft was underwhelming but they have 28 mil to spend. They also have picks they can trade due to the sheer number of young guys they picked up today. You can bet Francis phone will be hot the next couple days.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
They no longer have the exclusive shot at Free Agents, right? Then they’ll have to wait to do their deals until the 28th like everyone else. Is that correct?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Or they are tanking for the rich 2022 draft... Imagine Gourde's injury is LTIR and Francis starts an auction for cap space?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
How many UFAs are going to look at that non-competitive roster and want to hitch themselves to it for 7 seasons, even if overpaid? How many assets did Seattle actually acquire that other teams are going to pay a price to acquire? Some mind-boggling decisions from Francis. Barring some real steals of trades it would seem the plan is to sell their cap space to acquire futures and slow build through the draft.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Fourth Period sucks. Pagnotta had one really good offseason a while ago, but I haven't seen him break much, if anything really since then. So I highly doubt the rumor. Also, if we're talking salary retention it would have been a trade. None of the insiders have any info. on any of the Kraken trades (or even discussed trades) outside of the Vatrano move Seravalli mentioned. Highly doubt The Fourth Period scooped everyone here. Pagnotta hasn't even posted it on his Twitter, if anything he was probably just running his mouth to fill time on a radio hit.

Anyway, I wonder if the Preds will make a trade for a player Seattle picked in the expansion. That's how they got Emelin if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i wouldn’t be so quick to call it BS. we will never really know. most of us expected johansen to be protected.

The fact that johansen and Duchene weren’t protected and weren’t selected says a lot. they obviously both were shopped. We just have to hope they find their game again. And if they don’t, then the full rebuild probably happens in another year or so.

i think we will have our answer after this next full season what direction we need to go. it’s been a whirlwind and the absolutely craziest of times as far as hockey is concerned dating back to March 2020.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not buying it. Poile took a lesser deal not to retain on the Subban deal.

I think the more likely scenario is that Poile asked about it. Francis asked for something silly and then Poile mentioned retention and Francis still asked for something silly.

I think when it's all said and done we will find out Francis shot himself in the foot. He asked for too much, teams traded to get anything they could prior. I think his plan all along was to go cheap, but instead of bluffing some teams and getting a 2nd or 3rd to go along with it they called his bluff.

Edit: also not buying it because if the information is true on Granlund he may end up needing both guys.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I’m a little surprised there was no discussion of Granlund as the pick. As a UFA with down years but great success in a different organization, I’m a bit surprised he wasn’t really mentioned anywhere.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
The fact that johansen and Duchene weren’t protected and weren’t selected says a lot. they obviously both were shopped.

Where are you getting this? I certainly haven't heard anything about it. Unless you're saying everyone that was left unprotected was "shopped". If so, that's a pretty foolish way to look at it. GMs were forced to submit expansion lists and I'll bet 30 GMs left at least someone unprotected that they did not want to lose.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Where are you getting this? I certainly haven't heard anything about it. Unless you're saying everyone that was left unprotected was "shopped". If so, that's a pretty foolish way to look at it. GMs were forced to submit expansion lists and I'll bet 30 GMs left at least someone unprotected that they did not want to lose.
there’s been reports and rumors before the expansion draft list. then, they’re both unprotected. i don’t think there is any doubt johansen and Duchene were shopped. anyone saying otherwise is simply wrong.

Predators shopping Duchene, Johansen — The Fourth Period

first thing popping up on google ^

TK

Feb 26, 2019
there’s been reports and rumors before the expansion draft list. then, they’re both unprotected. i don’t think there is any doubt johansen and Duchene were shopped. anyone saying otherwise is simply wrong.

Predators shopping Duchene, Johansen — The Fourth Period

first thing popping up on google ^

I did see that, but I disregarded it, because as I said before, TFP sucks. If you actually look at the article the justification for Duchene being shopped is that Lebrun said he would be exposed in the expansion draft and that's it. The only one saying anything about Johansen is Pagnotta. If you trust him as an insider, then so be it. I don't and I haven't seen anyone that is reputable in my eyes back him up.

"TFP’s David Pagnotta reported last week that Johansen was up for grabs, while TSN’s Pierre LeBrun reported Tuesday that Duchene is expected to be exposed in the Expansion Draft, fueling speculation that he could be on the move this summer."

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I did see that, but I disregarded it, because as I said before, TFP sucks. If you actually look at the article the justification for Duchene being shopped is that Lebrun said he would be exposed in the expansion draft and that's it. The only one saying anything about Johansen is Pagnotta. If you trust him as an insider, then so be it. I don't and I haven't seen anyone that is reputable in my eyes back him up.

"TFP’s David Pagnotta reported last week that Johansen was up for grabs, while TSN’s Pierre LeBrun reported Tuesday that Duchene is expected to be exposed in the Expansion Draft, fueling speculation that he could be on the move this summer."
Ellis and arvidsson are gone. One could argue both are bigger contributors than johansen or Duchene. They both had contracts that were much better than the 2 being discussed. You honestly can sit here and say johansen and Duchene weren’t shopped? Arvidsson was shopped and traded because poile made it clear Francis would have selected him. Ellis was traded because of the obvious expansion situation and cap advantages.

i struggle to follow how you can’t see that they were both shopped? they literally could have been had for free or even w/ possible rentention. we traded Ellis and acquired a young center in glass. also have tomasino coming up. i think poile is expecting contributions from tomasino this year. the writing is on the wall.

Last edited:

TK

Feb 26, 2019
You honestly can sit here and say johansen and Duchene weren’t shopped?

Nope, but I can say I'm not sure. Because I don't know and no one that I trust in hockey insider circles has provided any evidence.

None of the stuff you posted is proof, or anything close to it, it's speculation. If you think they were shopped, that's awesome, it's interesting to read your conjecture. I just don't like to see definitive statements saying they were absolutely shopped and anyone saying otherwise is wrong, like you've written above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad