Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
They've still got ~$8 million to get to the floor. Yes, they picked 4 RFAs they need to sign, but if they're are trying to compete then they are going to have to make some waves over the next few days.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Every “expert” out there is predicting snd reporting rumors. Somebody will guess correctly.
Typical summer.

I feel like you're being a bit disingenuous here. As someone who has worked for a sports franchise (granted, not for very long) things can change very quickly and things can be discussed but never acted on. A lot of interest or kicking tires may actually happen from a variety of teams, but that doesn't mean it always comes to fruition.

There was a video from a few years ago, I can't find it now, of the Preds at the draft and showed Poile getting calls about moving spots, moving players.

This video of the Bruins always comes to mind.

Just because you flirt with someone and have interest doesn't mean you end up with them. Similarly, people around people making the decisions may have pieces of information but not the whole picture and potentially leak some stuff. I usually take most people with a blue check or on a podcast seriously because more often than not, there are deals at least being talked about, even if they don't happen.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I feel like you're being a bit disingenuous here. As someone who has worked for a sports franchise (granted, not for very long) things can change very quickly and things can be discussed but never acted on. A lot of interest or kicking tires may actually happen from a variety of teams, but that doesn't mean it always comes to fruition.

There was a video from a few years ago, I can't find it now, of the Preds at the draft and showed Poile getting calls about moving spots, moving players.

This video of the Bruins always comes to mind.

Just because you flirt with someone and have interest doesn't mean you end up with them. Similarly, people around people making the decisions may have pieces of information but not the whole picture and potentially leak some stuff. I usually take most people with a blue check or on a podcast seriously because more often than not, there are deals at least being talked about, even if they don't happen.
Oh, I know. Just amused at some of the rumors.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Of course there will be trades and free agents, but dang... Francis either outsmarted the league or outsmarted himself. 14 players with less than 100 NHL games, only 7 players with 5+ full NHL season. But with only 15 forwards taken, there are obviously more moves to be made there. Defense looks good on paper, but F and G are more in the hopeful category than expected category. We'll see where they go from here.

My prediction:

The Kraken trade Tyler Pitlick and Colin Blackwell plus a 3rd round pick to Nashville for Duchene!

Jul 12, 2007
To answer my own question, I believe there’s one older than Rem, now this guy, at least.
Is Pitlick a popular name in some strange forgotten little village somewhere ?
And what is the etymology ? Most names come from a profession, which is not comforting in this instance.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
To answer my own question, I believe there’s one older than Rem, now this guy, at least.
Is Pitlick a popular name in some strange forgotten little village somewhere ?
And what is the etymology ? Most names come from a profession, which is not comforting in this instance.
There are four:

Lance Pitlick is Rem and Rhett (MTL draftee) Pitlick’s Father. Tyler is a cousin to Rem and Rhett and a nephew to Lance.

Rhett Pitlick at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well Jaden Schwartz definitely becomes a top-6 winger for them. Not exactly a difference-maker, though.

Agreed that I don't really see what Grubbauer adds... especially at that price. I guess they'll get something now in a trade for a goalie.

Most people are kind of laughing that they picked Gavin Bayreuther in the Expansion Draft, who was an impending UFA, and who signed back with Columbus today. So they got "sweet FA" out of that pick. Instead of Stenlund or Domi or whoever they might otherwise have picked.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Feel a bit bad for Driedger who I'm sure signed up expecting to be the Kraken's top guy only to immediately be thrown back into a backup role.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Feel a bit bad for Driedger who I'm sure signed up expecting to be the Kraken's top guy only to immediately be thrown back into a backup role.

Yeah, it's like they fast-forwarded through to the Vegas scenario... just get it in there on Day 1... just need Driedger in the pic...

fleuryagent.png

Reactions: Tysonson3
Jul 12, 2007
What the hell is Seattle doing? It's either the most complicated Oceans 12 plan they are trying to pull off, or they are already as lost as last years Easter eggs.
Methinks that Francis isn’t as sharp as McPhee, but really didn’t get the same league-wide butt-kissing and gifting that LV got. From the league admin to the other GMs to the other coaches. There was a fix in to make sure LV was a big draw and big $ maker from day 1. Maybe there was some profit sharing or other incentives quietly offered off to the side.

Seattle is just not the same gem, and cash cow, as Las Vegas.
SEA ends up as the same old classic expansion team : a few talented guys past their prime, a few decent unrealized prospects, a lot of lunchbucket utility Jack-of-all-trades guys.
Maybe not as bad as the 1962 Mets, but not far off.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

They pass on Dillon who returned 2 2nds. Take this goaltender, sign a starter, then sign another starter, and then trade the goaltender back for 1 2nd.

This is comical.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Methinks that Francis isn’t as sharp as McPhee, but really didn’t get the same league-wide butt-kissing and gifting that LV got. From the league admin to the other GMs to the other coaches. There was a fix in to make sure LV was a big draw and big $ maker from day 1. Maybe there was some profit sharing or other incentives quietly offered off to the side.

SEA ends up as the same old classic expansion team : a few talented guys past their prime, a few decent unrealized prospects, a lot of lunchbucket utility Jack-of-all-trades guys.
Maybe
You're putting way too much effort into your conspiracy theory. Vegas did a great job of using their leverage to get what they could in draft capital while still picking 30 capable players.
It's been documented that Francis priced himself out of getting any draft capital then doubled down by picking only bottom 6 players and avoiding any top 6 players that could have been tradable assets.

So far this is complete negligence.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Maybe not as bad as the 1962 Mets, but not far off.

No there wasn't. I was one of the few who had Vegas as a playoff team their first year, they drafted several top 4 defensemen and top 6 forwards and an elite probably HHOF goaltender in Fleury, before any side deals were even made.

Jul 12, 2007
Fleury’s absolutely a HOF member. He’s got the whole checklist satisfied, and he could easily play another strong 5 years on the right team. Him being out there was an offshoot of “Murray is the next great thing”….. Severe dumbassness.

Jul 12, 2007
No there wasn't. I was one of the few who had Vegas as a playoff team their first year, they drafted several top 4 defensemen and top 6 forwards and an elite probably HHOF goaltender in Fleury, before any side deals were even made.
How does a team get mostly top 4 Dmen and top 6 F’s. ? And HOF goalie still basically in his prime years ?
No, not by breaking the mold and reinventing the expansion draft that’s been happening for 60 years in big league sports.
The LV draft is literally the ONLY time an expansion draft ever worked like this. In 60 years.
No, it wasn’t magical mystical mythical majestry that will only happen once in history.
This is less plausible than any conspiracy theory.
And my beliefs aren’t even a conspiracy theory.
It’s rather typical. Owners and brass embrace what makes a ton of money, in a shared venture.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
How does a team get mostly top 4 Dmen and top 6 F’s. ? And HOF goalie still basically in his prime years ?
No, not by breaking the mold and reinventing the expansion draft that’s been happening for 60 years in big league sports.
The LV draft is literally the ONLY time an expansion draft ever worked like this. In 60 years.
No, it wasn’t magical mystical mythical majestry that will only happen once in history.
This less plausible than any conspiracy theory.
And my beliefs aren’t even a conspiracy theory.

The rules to the expansion draft were literally changed so that teams had to expose better players this time around because of how god awful the previous ones were.

Jul 12, 2007
The rules to the expansion draft were literally changed so that teams had to expose better players this time around because of how god awful the previous ones were.
Lol, this is only what I’m saying.
But it was very unique. Unlike any other in any sport.
Exactly what were we arguing about ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad