Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion Part III - The Final Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
This would have never happened due to Bergy's attachment to Shaw but the smart thing to do would have been to protect Hudon and leave Shaw unprotected, basically Vegas has to take either a bad contract in Pleky, Emelin or Shaw or a minor player in Davidson

I agree. I would have left Shaw exposed. You can't have depth players signed at that money for that long. No doubt that Shaw is a good hockey player, but his chair is ultimately on the third line.

It's clear MB has to protect him because it would mean he would have traded two 2nd round picks for nothing should shaw be selected and that's just bad asset management.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Aside from last season, Plekanec was the team's most productive centre during the MB regime. Actually, he was one of the team's most productive forwards in general.

Naturally...no other center played more minutes than he did during that time.

Keeping Plekanec didn't result in the 5 years of wasted development of Galchenyuk, the pigeon holing of DD next to Pacioretty for 4 years was a far greater contributor to this. Putting Galchenyuk at centre and keeping Plekanec were not even close to being mutually exclusive options.

I think they both (Plekanec & Desharnais) prevented Galchenyuk from developing as a center. I'm not sure how we can JUST argue that Desharnais did exclusively, as I mentioned above, no other center has played more on this team during MB's regime than Plekanec.

Whether that was at even strength or the PP...no other center played more on this team than Plekanec. Michel Therrien leaned on him more than he needed too, beyond any other player.

That is a fact.

You may argue he did so because it was the best decision, and that's fine...but here we are now, what has that gotten us 5yrs later?

What was the point? What was the end game?

Trading Plekanec would have left a gaping hole at centre for a team whose mandate was to make the playoffs. While trading would have returned some nice pieces, it would have put a dent in the organizations plans. Whether or not you agree with those plans is a different question, but when you take into account, trading Plekanec isn't so clear cut.

Well we kept Plekanec, played him a ton over everyone else...and here we are 5yrs later and we STILL have a gaping hole at center, in fact, it's even more gaping today than it was 5yrs ago.

So i'll ask you again...what was the purpose? How did it benefit us?

As you mentioned, trading him then, would have returned some very nice pieces...pieces which would likely be cornerstone pieces of our team today.

The problem with Plekanec is the same as the one with Koivu, he was a secondary offensive centre being miscast as a 1b guy. He would have been perfectly fine in a secondary role playing second fiddle to a 70-80 point first line centre.

Agreed...but a GM with better long term vision (this is a knock on Bergevin by the way...from a supposed Bergevin defender) would of seen what I've been imploring this team to do for years. We saw what happened with Koivu, the blueprint to killing your center line was already there, what did we do?

We repeated the same mistake.

Your hyperbole regarding Plekanec seldom matched reality

I don't want to bring it there...but if you think I was providing "hyperbole" regarding Plekanec. I should dig up all those old Plekanec threads, trust me, I've scoured through them several times throughout the years, you will be shocked by the accuracy of my posts as it relates to Plekanec 3-4-5yrs ago.

It's not my point here to say "I was right, you or others were wong"...but to say I was providing "hyperbole" when I pretty much nailed the Plekanec situation, is not very fair.

Here's a quote from myself from September 2015 (a few weeks before Plekanec signed his extension).

I think it would be foolish to expect the same level of play from Plekanec going forward the next 3-5 years, despite him reaching 60pts last year, I thought his play towards the end of the year and into the playoffs really deteriorated, is it a sign of things to come?

Probably not to that extreme, but the issue becomes whether you're willing to pay him 6M 2-3 years from now? That's just not a smart move if you ask me.

Sure, he could have garnered a good return, but several players on the club could as well. As such, they are not sufficient reasons for trading him. He was the team's best centre, and while that is a problem for a team that wants to win a cup, the only solution isn't to trade him, make a hole and hope someone replaces it. Trading him would have hurt the Canadiens in the short term and guaranteed nothing in the long-term.

Trading him would have the Canadiens in the short term, agreed, but the Habs weren't positioned to win in the early years of Bergevin's tenure, he was playing with house money then. We needed to stockpile assets THEN, to be able to be better positioned TODAY, 5yrs later.

We didn't do that...and....here we are.
Plekanec didn't prevent the team from succeeding. Instead not getting a bonafide first line centre was one of the reasons the team has seen little success in the playoffs, and similar to what I mentioned, getting a bonafide centre and keeping plekanec weren't two mutually exclusive options at the time.

We held on to a valuable asset past his expiration date...that's it, I'm not sure how anyone could argue the opposite.

We did the same thing with Saku Koivu, but at least there were sentimental reasons behind it.

Last edited:

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. I would have left Shaw exposed. You can't have depth players signed at that money for that long. No doubt that Shaw is a good hockey player, but his chair is ultimately on the third line.

It's clear MB has to protect him because it would mean he would have traded two 2nd round picks for nothing should shaw be selected and that's just bad asset management.

Leaving Shaw exposed over Hudon...:shakehead So we expose the guy we know can score 15 goals in the NHL, win face-offs, bring leadership, a big game player instead of an undersized, average skating forward who's barely a point per game player in the AHL ?

Only on HF Boards...and I like Hudon...I do!I also couldn't care less about the contract, nobody should care, we ain't paying it and it isn't stopping us from signing or trading for anyone that's available.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Leaving Shaw exposed over Hudon...:shakehead So we expose the guy we know can score 15 goals in the NHL, win face-offs, bring leadership, a big game player instead of an undersized, average skating forward who's barely a point per game player in the AHL ?

Only on HF Boards...and I like Hudon...I do!I also couldn't care less about the contract, nobody should care, we ain't paying it and it isn't stopping us from signing or trading for anyone that's available.
I only wanted Shaw unprotected because of his concussion issues. If he is healthy then we need him more but there is that if and I have a feeling that Vegas would not touch him because of the issue.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I only wanted Shaw unprotected because of his concussion issues. If he is healthy then we need him more but there is that if and I have a feeling that Vegas would not touch him because of the issue.

As I mentioned in other posts, Vegas would've picked him for sure, 100%. They would've then turned around and traded him, probably to a team in our division.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
As I mentioned in other posts, Vegas would've picked him for sure, 100%. They would've then turned around and traded him, probably to a team in our division.

Given his contract I don't think he has a lot of trade value.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Not sure about that right now as he is suspect and Vegas would be taking on a suspect player that they could of been stuck with. A lot of teams also are in Cap trouble so taking chances could be costly. Vegas will have so many deals going on that it may just not be worth it.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
How about sending our 1st and 2nd along with Mccarron Vegas for Dumba, and Vegas to pick Plekanec.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Given his contract I don't think he has a lot of trade value.

Have you not seen the contracts that were given out last year on July 1st? Ladd, Lucic, Backes...what about Beleskey the year before? Teams overpay all the time

His contract is far from a problem.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Naturally...no other center played more minutes than he did during that time.
Naturally, he was the team's best centre. No one was out performing him point wise.

I think they both (Plekanec & Desharnais) prevented Galchenyuk from developing as a center. I'm not sure how we can JUST argue that Desharnais did exclusively, as I mentioned above, no other center has played more on this team during MB's regime than Plekanec.
So if both prevented Galchenyuk from playing centre, why have you only focused on Plekanec? You're very sloppy on this point.

Of course no other centre played more during the MB regime, no other centre was better than Plekanec. Why move your best centre to make room for Galchenyuk, when you can move the guy not cutting it in a 1a/1b role like Desharnais.

It's points like this that makes your Plekanec crusade a weak one.

Whether that was at even strength or the PP...no other center played more on this team than Plekanec. Michel Therrien leaned on him more than he needed too, beyond any other player.

That is a fact.

Again, that it is a fact is meaningless. Why wouldn't the Canadiens give minutes to their best centre? Desharnais wasn;t better than him, neither was Eller. You repeating a fact without using it to advance or support a coherent argument doesn't magically make that argument coherent.

You may argue he did so because it was the best decision, and that's fine...but here we are now, what has that gotten us 5yrs later?

What was the point? What was the end game?

This type of logic assumes that Plekanec was the one taht prevented the Habs from having success in the last 5 years. It wasn't because we kept Plekanec that the team didn't find success, it's because we didn't find a centre to bump him down into a clear second line role.

So yeah, we have a declined Plekanec after 5 years, but not finding a better a centre while he was here is what makes keeping a waste. It's less a Plekanec problem than an MB problem of not actually finding a better centre.

Well we kept Plekanec, played him a ton over everyone else...and here we are 5yrs later and we STILL have a gaping hole at center, in fact, it's even more gaping today than it was 5yrs ago.

I still don't see how this means they should have moved Plekanec. All it does is reinforce the issue many have with this regime which is that they wasted productive years of a good core.

So i'll ask you again...what was the purpose? How did it benefit us?
Again, you just reinforce those who have issues with MB not adding to a solid core.

As you mentioned, trading him then, would have returned some very nice pieces...pieces which would likely be cornerstone pieces of our team today.

How can you guarantee that the pieces acquired in a hypothetical Plekanec trade would be a cornerstone piece on the team today? This is such wishful thinking. What if the pieces we got were all busts? Where would the team be then?

Agreed...but a GM with better long term vision (this is a knock on Bergevin by the way...from a supposed Bergevin defender) would of seen what I've been imploring this team to do for years. We saw what happened with Koivu, the blueprint to killing your center line was already there, what did we do?

We repeated the same mistake.
Everyone is tradeable for future pieces, this is not necessarily an argument in favor of trading someone. Plekanec is a solid hockey player, you add a bonafide 1st line centre in year two or three and the Habs are contender with that player and Plekanec as a 1-2 punch. MB failing to find a piece to push down Plekanec doesn't validate your crusade at all. There was room for Plekanec on the club and a 1st line centre. It seems like MB made the gamble of keeping Plekanec and trying to get in a 1st line centre, that gambled failed, sure, but it's not a ridiculous gamble to have made.

I don't want to bring it there...but if you think I was providing "hyperbole" regarding Plekanec. I should dig up all those old Plekanec threads, trust me, I've scoured through them several times throughout the years, you will be shocked by the accuracy of my posts as it relates to Plekanec 3-4-5yrs ago.

Dude, predicting a guy is going to decline for the last 6 years isn't accuracy, it's an inevitability of an opinion. 5-3-4 and even 2 years ago Plekanec was a productive player, productive enough that if MB got a bonafide 1st centre through trade or development that it would have given the Habs a good 1-2 punch.

It's not my point here to say "I was right, you or others were wong"...but to say I was providing "hyperbole" when I pretty much nailed the Plekanec situation, is not very fair.

I'm not sure you "nailed" the Plekanec situation. You were on here crying about his decline for 6 years, players eventually decline. You weren't right for literally 5 of the 6 years you were saying he was going to decline. During that team, Plekanec could have easily been a key piece in a contending team had they got a 1st line centre.

Every good player declines, and every good player will get you decent to good assets. These are not necessarily reasons why a player should be traded. Weber will eventually decline at he at this point still has value, yet these are not reasons to move him. Before last season, Plekanec wasn't just the most productive Habs centre during the MB regime, he was one of the most productive forwards. Moving him for futures would have resulted in a gaping hole in a club whose mandate was clearly to compete.

The issue isn't that the Habs didn't trade Plekanec, the issue is that the Habs didn't create the conditions where Plekanec didn't have to be the go-to guy. They never acquired that player in the time that Plekanec was productive. However, he was productive enough for a number of years where keeping him and trying to acquiring a a better centre was a reasonable option.

It's classic HF where the hypothetical future acquisition are sure to replace the out-going piece. For all you know they did try to trade Plekanec and the offers they received didn't justify moving him at that point. You just can't assume you will get high end pieces that will plug holes because you said so. In fact, you criticize others for doing this all the time.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Not sure about that right now as he is suspect and Vegas would be taking on a suspect player that they could of been stuck with. A lot of teams also are in Cap trouble so taking chances could be costly. Vegas will have so many deals going on that it may just not be worth it.

After the whole slur incident in Chicago, I was kinda eye-rolling when we got him. I know his value (in Chicago) and was looking forward to that at least. While I wouldn't pin our playoffs on him at all, I didn't feel he elevated to beast-mode in the playoffs. Add to it, many mind-boggling incidents during the season, I was quite frustrated as a fan with Shaw.

I'm hoping he has a solid 2017-2018, but to be frank, guys like him I believe are readily available. He has moments for sure, but I didn't think he was consistent, especially with what we are paying him.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

I would have exposed Shaw as well. Yeah it would mean that MB admit that he made a mistake but the best GMs in the league know when they made one and then do everything they can to fix it.

That 6 years term was just too much for a player of his caliber. It really wasn't necessary. Now chances are that we are stuck with him until the end of his contract as i doubt he has much value thanks to the 6 years contract length.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
I would have exposed Shaw as well. Yeah it would mean that MB admit that he made a mistake but the best GMs in the league know when they made one and then do everything they can to fix it.

That 6 years term was just too much for a player of his caliber. It really wasn't necessary. Now chances are that we are stuck with him until the end of his contract as i doubt he has much value thanks to the 6 years contract length.
Give a 6 year term to a third liner but hardball Radulov. Actually we really don't know maybe MB and Radulov are acting out to throw the NHL off. They may already have a contract but realize they need to look apart otherwise NHL could penalize us for trying to circumvent the expansion.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton

MB is spineless and won't ever admit a mistake and this is part of the reason this team won't go far. Agreed I like Shaw but he should of been exposed in the hopes of getting out of that horrible contract. 35 point players should not be getting six year deals at 3.9 million.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Hudon now has a one way contract. With the talent available for LV, why would you select a player like him only to lose him on waivers.

I'm sure Bergevin has a plan laid out with LV.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Hudon now has a one way contract. With the talent available for LV, why would you select a player like him only to lose him on waivers.

I'm sure Bergevin has a plan laid out with LV.

Hudon is on a 2way deal for 2017-2018 and 1way deal for 2018-2019.

Good point about losing him on waivers if he is sent down, not sure how that will work for an expansion team.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hudon is on a 2way deal for 2017-2018 and 1way deal for 2018-2019.

Good point about losing him on waivers if he is sent down, not sure how that will work for an expansion team.

They're looking for picks. I think Pleks makes a whole lot of sense for them. Plays this year which helps them get to the cap floor and then gets traded at the deadline for picks...win win win!

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
They're looking for picks. I think Pleks makes a whole lot of sense for them. Plays this year which helps them get to the cap floor and then gets traded at the deadline for picks...win win win!

That's what I am thinking and praying for.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Vegas will need some young players that they can keep for more than one year. If you will struggle to win games you definitely want players that will at least be defensively aware so as not to get blown out on a daily bases. Pleks would be good for a checking role but he has one year. I still think De la Rose could be the pick. He has size and is very good defensively and doesn't need much coaching.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Naturally, he was the team's best centre. No one was out performing him point wise.

Of course not, no one could have...he played the most even strength, usually with the best players, he played the most on the PP as well.
So if both prevented Galchenyuk from playing centre, why have you only focused on Plekanec? You're very sloppy on this point.

Wrong...I've criticized their usage of Desharnais, there's nothing new here, who hasn't done that. That's beating a dead horse.

But everyone seems to have forgotten Plekanec was also a factor, a bigger factor IMO, in all of this.

Plekanec from 2012 to today has played almost 1000 more minutes at ES compared to Galchenyuk
It's points like this that makes your Plekanec crusade a weak one.

There's nothing 'weak' about my crusade regarding Plekanec...history has proven me right, you can try to twist what I've said in the past all you want, but there's a search function on this site as I'm sure you're aware.

You're more than welcomed to do a search on my name and the word "Plekanec".

Again, that it is a fact is meaningless. Why wouldn't the Canadiens give minutes to their best centre? Desharnais wasn;t better than him, neither was Eller. You repeating a fact without using it to advance or support a coherent argument doesn't magically make that argument coherent.

The minutes Plekanec received should of been better distributed amongst other candidates, namely Galchenyuk & Eller.

This type of logic assumes that Plekanec was the one taht prevented the Habs from having success in the last 5 years. It wasn't because we kept Plekanec that the team didn't find success, it's because we didn't find a centre to bump him down into a clear second line role.

Wrong...

YOU assume that's my logic, nowhere in my post did I put the lack of success of this team ALL on Plekanec.

BTW the Habs could of found a centre to bump him down in a clear 2nd line role...his name was/is Alex Galchenyuk.
So yeah, we have a declined Plekanec after 5 years, but not finding a better a centre while he was here is what makes keeping a waste. It's less a Plekanec problem than an MB problem of not actually finding a better centre.

I never argued the opposite...

I still don't see how this means they should have moved Plekanec. All it does is reinforce the issue many have with this regime which is that they wasted productive years of a good core.

You don't see how acquiring additional assets when the team wasn't expected to win, would of set us up for a better situation today?

Really?

Again, you just reinforce those who have issues with MB not adding to a solid core.

I've been championing that cause for years...funny enough, I'm still labeled a "Bergevin defender".

How can you guarantee that the pieces acquired in a hypothetical Plekanec trade would be a cornerstone piece on the team today? This is such wishful thinking. What if the pieces we got were all busts? Where would the team be then?

How can you not???

How is your opinion more worthy than mine in this scenario???

What if the pieces we got weren't busts? What if the pieces we got either turned into what we needed, or were used to acquire more established players?
Everyone is tradeable for future pieces, this is not necessarily an argument in favor of trading someone. Plekanec is a solid hockey player, you add a bonafide 1st line centre in year two or three and the Habs are contender with that player and Plekanec as a 1-2 punch. MB failing to find a piece to push down Plekanec doesn't validate your crusade at all. There was room for Plekanec on the club and a 1st line centre. It seems like MB made the gamble of keeping Plekanec and trying to get in a 1st line centre, that gambled failed, sure, but it's not a ridiculous gamble to have made.

I never argued it was a 'ridiculous gamble'...I argued it wasn't the right decision to make, and 5yrs on, I was 100% right.

How you can sit here and say I'm wrong now or twist this debate into something else is odd...again, the proofs in the old threads.

Dude, predicting a guy is going to decline for the last 6 years isn't accuracy, it's an inevitability of an opinion. 5-3-4 and even 2 years ago Plekanec was a productive player, productive enough that if MB got a bonafide 1st centre through trade or development that it would have given the Habs a good 1-2 punch.

For the 1000th time...I NEVER ARGUED HE'S BEEN IN DECLINE FOR THE LAST X NUMBER OF YEARS.

what I argued, 5yrs ago, was that his play and his value was as high as it would ever be and that form THAT point, his value would only continue to decline.

You and others have decided to twist what I've argued..but once more, the proof is in those threads.

I'm not sure you "nailed" the Plekanec situation. You were on here crying about his decline for 6 years, players eventually decline. You weren't right for literally 5 of the 6 years you were saying he was going to decline. During that team, Plekanec could have easily been a key piece in a contending team had they got a 1st line centre.

Again...you can try to shape my argument then, into what you want now. I stand behind what I said and history shows I was 100% right.

Keep challenging me on this, and i'll be more than happy to post some of the gems of those days. I don't want to get in a **** match here, it's not about what he said or whatever.

Give my credit as its due, because I recall getting absolutely shredded over my opinion. The fact some of you want to act now like I wasn't all over that is cheap.

Let's revisit an old Plekanec thread just for fun

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1939359&highlight=plekanec

An interesting thread started by an old friend wondering if it's wise to give Plekanec a contract extension the summer of 2015 (a few months before he would ultimately re-sign)

Every good player declines, and every good player will get you decent to good assets. These are not necessarily reasons why a player should be traded. Weber will eventually decline at he at this point still has value, yet these are not reasons to move him. Before last season, Plekanec wasn't just the most productive Habs centre during the MB regime, he was one of the most productive forwards. Moving him for futures would have resulted in a gaping hole in a club whose mandate was clearly to compete.

Oddly enough...the Nashville Predators moved him at the perfect time. Trust me, they don't get a player of PK Subban's value if they're trying to move him today.

It's odd you'll use the Weber situation as part of your argument, it supports mine if nothing else.

The issue isn't that the Habs didn't trade Plekanec, the issue is that the Habs didn't create the conditions where Plekanec didn't have to be the go-to guy. They never acquired that player in the time that Plekanec was productive. However, he was productive enough for a number of years where keeping him and trying to acquiring a a better centre was a reasonable option.

Well I argued that the condition they needed to create, was to acquire additional assets.

It's classic HF where the hypothetical future acquisition are sure to replace the out-going piece. For all you know they did try to trade Plekanec and the offers they received didn't justify moving him at that point. You just can't assume you will get high end pieces that will plug holes because you said so. In fact, you criticize others for doing this all the time.

I'm not, nor did I not in the past, assume they'd get "high end pieces" for Plekanec...I said they could get a good package like a prospect and a 1st round pick, possibly a bit more.

We already had Galchenyuk, who we should of groomed as a center...we had Lars Eller who was more than capable, and still is, capable of handling 3rd line duties.

Look at all the top centers that have been traded since Bergevin became GM...you want to know why the Habs could never land one?

It's because they didn't have enough assets (players, draft picks) to acquire them...they couldn't outbid other teams who were either prospect rich, or draft pick rich or both, to compete with them.

Marc Bergevin took over a team in 2012 that had finished 3rd last...he could of easily packaged Plekanec for the package I mentioned above.

What's the worse that would of happened? The Habs end up being a bottom 5 team ahead of the 2013 draft, but with 2 1st round picks in tow and an improved prospect core as a result of the Plekanec trade?

Go look at the 2013 draft...you know what the Habs would like today had they finished bottom 5 that year and held 2 1st round picks???

Would you be mad if the Habs had a Sean Monahan & Alex Wennberg? (just an example).

The Habs didn't need to compete WITH Plekanec in 2012...they should of continued to bottom out while reshaping their team, and Plekanec should of been a prime piece used to accelerate what today SHOULD be a MUCH better team.

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Vegas will need some young players that they can keep for more than one year. If you will struggle to win games you definitely want players that will at least be defensively aware so as not to get blown out on a daily bases. Pleks would be good for a checking role but he has one year. I still think De la Rose could be the pick. He has size and is very good defensively and doesn't need much coaching.

I am with you on that, de la rose has size and defenssive awarness, so i strongly think they would pick him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad