Speculation: Expansion Draft Discussion Part III - The Final Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Watch MB trade for McQuaid since he played for Julien. Boston fans will be pissed if he starts beating up their players:laugh:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

If this is the case, I fully expect a deal between Vegas and the Habs for Staal. Perfect fit. Big C, vet, still just 32, making $3.5m per for next two seasons. There couldn't be a more perfect fit.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

If this is the case, I fully expect a deal between Vegas and the Habs for Staal. Perfect fit. Big C, vet, still just 32, making $3.5m per for next two seasons. There couldn't be a more perfect fit.

I was just about to post this idea. It makes sense. More sense than the Galchenyuk deals that I've seen floating around that leave us with a chasm in our first two center spots and Leddy for our troubles.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Stall would be a good pick up. And keep AG of course.

Stall-AG-Danault can be a decent enough C line.

What about a 1st+DLR for Stall and LV takes Pleks. Might have to add another pick from the habs there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'd be all for bringing Staal in through Vegas. Not only is his cap hit perfect, but he just came off of a bounce back year in Minnesota with 28 goals and 37 assists for 65 points in 82 games. All at the same cap hit Habs had DD here for.

Vegas can play this so right. Maybe the Wild will offer them something to NOT pick Dumba and Scandella. And Vegas can have a deal with Montreal who will offer them something to select Staal from Minnesota and trading him to Montreal afterward.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Claude Julien might be interested by Johny Boychuck. Hamonic is another possibility for New York. I really doubt Leddy is available. I believe Hamonic/Boychuck could be added for way less.

Gerard Gallant will probably push toward Plekanec for the expansion draft. He knows him. Plekanec could be captain material for a young team in Vegas. He has no problems outside the ice, he's well respected around the league and his coach knows him already.

We might be able to put our hands on Eric Staal through Vegas. But Illya Kovalchuck in NJ would be my number one trade target.

Pacioretty - Danault - Kovalchuck
Galchenyuk/Drouin - Drouin/Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen - Shaw - Gallagher
Hudon - McCaron - Byron

Try those lines. And if the center line is bad. Trade Pacioretty or Galchenyuk, before the trade deadline for a C.

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Gerard Gallant will probably push toward Plekanec for the expansion draft. He knows him. Plekanec could be captain material for a young team in Vegas. He has no problems outside the ice, he's well respected around the league and his coach knows him already.
Pleks is not and has never been captain material. He's filthy on the ice and is very much disliked for it. Also, he plain sucks going forward.

He can be a lesser, more boring Mike Fischer for the Vegas team - but they're going to draft veterans, some real proud professionals who didn't particularly want to move. Pleks will quickly find himself on the outskirts of whatever leadership group there is in Vegas, because he doesn't belong in the core.

I just did an expansion simulator, I don't think Vegas will want either of Pleks or Emelin's cap hits to be honest. They have bigger needs for better players.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Pleks is not and has never been captain material. He's filthy on the ice and is very much disliked for it. Also, he plain sucks going forward.

He can be a lesser, more boring Mike Fischer for the Vegas team - but they're going to draft veterans, some real proud professionals who didn't particularly want to move. Pleks will quickly find himself on the outskirts of whatever leadership group there is in Vegas, because he doesn't belong in the core.

I just did an expansion simulator, I don't think Vegas will want either of Pleks or Emelin's cap hits to be honest. They have bigger needs for better players.

Firstly, most of the best players available wont be drafted by Vegas. Sources say they have 12 deals. So every simulator serve no purpose right now.

Secondly, Plekanec wears the A in Montreal for a long time now. And he wears the C for his country since a long time also. Every coaches he had loved him. Therrien, Martin, Carbonneau, etc.

Thirdly, I hate him on the Habs. I probably was one of the first guy on this board saying we wouldnt win with him on the line-up. But, its a complete lie if you believe or say that Plekanec has no leadership values and that he is not respected throughout the league.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Deleting Plekanec and adding Staal could be a very interesting roster change. Staal would make this a much more dangerous lineup.

Lines of:

Pacioretty - Staal - Gallagher
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw
Byron - McCarron - Mitchell

Great mix of scoring and speed. I like the look of that forward group a lot.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Lebrun on TSN690 saying that the 2 names he hears the most for Vegas are Emelin and Davidson.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
D are worth a lot. Teams are always looking for them. I can see:

Anaheim: Shea Theordore or Vantanen
Boston: Adam McQuaid
Buffalo: Zack Bogosian
Columbus: Jack Johnson
Dallas: Dan Hamhuis
L.A.: Brayden McNabb
Minnesota: Dumba or Scandella
Montreal: Emelin
Ottawa: Methot
San Jose: Dillon
St. Louis: Bortuzzo
TB: Dotchin or Koekoek
Winnipeg: Enstrom

as targets. That's 13D. They'll only take 3 goalies and will likely have to trade one because of waivers in the fall. You can only keep 2 on the roster.

Same with D. They'll be pretty experienced, but alot of D are also UFA 2018, which will allow LV to trade them at TD for some good picks.

I can see Theodore and Dumba being core players for them going forward.

They'll have a decent D for sure.

Anaheim: Shea Theordore or Vantanen // Theodore isn't exposed, but yes Vatanen is the obvious pick.
Boston: Adam McQuaid // I'd go Miller for defensemen
Buffalo: Zack Bogosian // Wouldn't touch his contract. I'd go with William Carrier instead. Young player with size, good numbers in the NHL, prove he can play in the NHL.
Columbus: Jack Johnson // I'd pick Josh Anderson way before Johnson
Dallas: Dan Hamhuis // I'd pick Eakin based on age and contract
L.A.: Brayden McNabb // I'd probably go with Shore, but not much to pick from here.
Minnesota: Dumba or Scandella // Agreed
Montreal: Emelin // Rather pick Hudon or Plekanec, but Emelin wouldn't be a bad pick. Could be flipped for a decent chunk of change at the deadline with salary retention.
Ottawa: Methot // Agreed
San Jose: Dillon // I'd go Boedker, personally
St. Louis: Bortuzzo // I'd go with Jaskin
TB: Dotchin or Koekoek // Agreed
Winnipeg: Enstrom // Him or Dano. I'd probbaly pick Dano honestly.

As for goalies, I expect them to pick more than 3 based on the quality that's going to be available. Fleury/Mrazek/Raanta are a given. I'd expect them to pick a young guy that can play right away as a back-up and trade two of the veterans. A guy like Grubauer, most likely.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Claude Julien might be interested by Johny Boychuck. Hamonic is another possibility for New York. I really doubt Leddy is available. I believe Hamonic/Boychuck could be added for way less.

We might be able to put our hands on Eric Staal through Vegas. But Illya Kovalchuck in NJ would be my number one trade target.

Pacioretty - Danault - Kovalchuck
Galchenyuk/Drouin - Drouin/Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen - Shaw - Gallagher
Hudon - McCaron - Byron

Try those lines. And if the center line is bad. Trade Pacioretty or Galchenyuk, before the trade deadline for a C.

Kovalchuk

Shake my head

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
id rather have Las Vegas taking Emelin.

Right now we have 0 center

Having plekanec for 1 more year cant be that bad.

He had a bad year but everyone forgot he was pretty decent 2 years ago

I thought Emelin had a good season, and it frees up more cap.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Anaheim: Shea Theordore or Vantanen // Theodore isn't exposed, but yes Vatanen is the obvious pick.
Boston: Adam McQuaid // I'd go Miller for defensemen
Buffalo: Zack Bogosian // Wouldn't touch his contract. I'd go with William Carrier instead. Young player with size, good numbers in the NHL, prove he can play in the NHL.
Columbus: Jack Johnson // I'd pick Josh Anderson way before Johnson
Dallas: Dan Hamhuis // I'd pick Eakin based on age and contract
L.A.: Brayden McNabb // I'd probably go with Shore, but not much to pick from here.
Minnesota: Dumba or Scandella // Agreed
Montreal: Emelin // Rather pick Hudon or Plekanec, but Emelin wouldn't be a bad pick. Could be flipped for a decent chunk of change at the deadline with salary retention.
Ottawa: Methot // Agreed
San Jose: Dillon // I'd go Boedker, personally
St. Louis: Bortuzzo // I'd go with Jaskin
TB: Dotchin or Koekoek // Agreed
Winnipeg: Enstrom // Him or Dano. I'd probbaly pick Dano honestly.

As for goalies, I expect them to pick more than 3 based on the quality that's going to be available. Fleury/Mrazek/Raanta are a given. I'd expect them to pick a young guy that can play right away as a back-up and trade two of the veterans. A guy like Grubauer, most likely.

Theodore is rumoured to be the offering in the LV deal with Anaheim.
I'd go with Anderson too, but Columbus has a deal in place with LV to stay away from their forwards, except for Calvert.

They've gotten at least 6 deals with teams maybe more, so it makes it tough to predict who they'll actually end up with. They'll take D that have trade value now & at the deadline. McPhee has said he's favoring D.

Also, Eakins had an awful year in Dallas. He's an overpaid 4th liner, who was benched repeatedly.

I doubt he takes 13D, but I won't be surprised if he takes at least 10. They have far more value than goalies, especially back-up goalies.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I thought Emelin had a good season, and it frees up more cap.

We all know that Emelin is a goner after this season
Hes known to be a dirty player on the ice and always get terrible penalty , hes slow and cant move the puck at all.

Id rather have a young Def as a 5-6th instead of Emelin.

*-Weber
Markov-Petry
Lernout-Benn

u can swap markov on first pair
u get 1 def from ufas or w/e they can

then in 1 or 2 years u play Juulsen
Mtl needs to give young players a god damn chance

Oct 22, 2012
Watch MB trade for McQuaid since he played for Julien. Boston fans will be pissed if he starts beating up their players:laugh:

I crap you not, the crappy tire here in Charlottetown has 3 framed jerseys hanging over the entrance.

Sidney Crosby
Alex Ovechkin(?)
Adam McQuaid

He is from here, but still. Makes me lol every time

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Firstly, most of the best players available wont be drafted by Vegas. Sources say they have 12 deals. So every simulator serve no purpose right now.

Secondly, Plekanec wears the A in Montreal for a long time now. And he wears the C for his country since a long time also. Every coaches he had loved him. Therrien, Martin, Carbonneau, etc.

Thirdly, I hate him on the Habs. I probably was one of the first guy on this board saying we wouldnt win with him on the line-up. But, its a complete lie if you believe or say that Plekanec has no leadership values and that he is not respected throughout the league.
1st - sure, ok. Fact remains there are plenty of expensive players out there who would bring leadership, professionalism, or even future trade deadline value.

2nd - Him being a hardworker and present on the Habs means very little in the grand scheme of things. He disappeared every time when the team needed him. Coaches, especially the ones you listed, rely on 'steady' players because they know what they're getting from them. He got the 'A' because he was steady, reliable, dependable. Like an old wooden chair. Vegas likely wants an actual, professional LEADER not a worn-in guy who hasn't played anywhere else and is coming off ~140 games of **** performances and production.

3rd - he IS hated around the league, he's one of the most low-key chippy and dirty players. He embellishes and does all that stuff. It's not a problem, I don't hold it against him, but I bring it up because your impression of him is odd.

We had two back to back collapses and Pleks was nowhere to be seen after his premature payday. Given his playoff performances, I don't see how you could see him in such a rosy light.

We have him for another year, it isn't the end of the world as he has some utility to give - and then we're done with him. If BargainBin was a good GM, he'd find a way to get rid of Pleks for someone like Helm or Eakin or whatever. But he's not.

I really, really doubt the Vegas team would take on a 6m dollar 28 point loser.

Wish Vegas would take Plekanec instead.
There's no reason to take a 6m dollar nobody.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Deleting Plekanec and adding Staal could be a very interesting roster change. Staal would make this a much more dangerous lineup.

Lines of:

Eric Staal is probably the best center available that can be added at a low price and is unprotected for ED. That top 9 looks very good and potent.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Hopefully its Emelin
That 4.1 million free capspace could be huge for us

All for it only of we trade or sign another LD. Otherwise we are not in good position at all moving forward with:
Markov
Davidson
Jerabek

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006

Lines of:

That second line can be deadly in our own zone. In the OZ...:)....just as deadly but for the right reasons.

Seriously...nice lineup. Assuming Staal is at 100%

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
What if Vegas has a verbal agreement with Radulov to sign him after July 1st, and proceed to pick whoever from MTL in the expansion (Emelin/Davidson + 1st for Staal). Could they get in trouble for that (since Habs could get in trouble if found having verbal agreement with Radulov before trade freeze) or not really?

Because that would royally suck for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad