HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Seattle would absolutely take him, and it would be the right move to let him go. However, I believe it would be Carey who would have to approach Bergevin and not the other way around.

And then we put all the pressure on a young Primeau. That worked so well for 2008-2010 Price.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And then we put all the pressure on a young Primeau. That worked so well for 2008-2010 Price.

I never advocated for that. I'd be signing a veteran free agent.

Here are the ones available in the 2021-22 offseason: Rask, Andersen, Binnington, Allen, Raanta, Grubauer, Mrazek, Rittich

You can find a nice stop-gap in that list. Part of the reason I'd want the Habs to trade for Allen to "help" the Blues.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never advocated for that. I'd be signing a veteran free agent.

Here are the ones available in the 2021-22 offseason: Rask, Andersen, Binnington, Allen, Raanta, Grubauer, Mrazek, Rittich

You can find a nice stop-gap in that list. Part of the reason I'd want the Habs to trade for Allen to "help" the Blues.

It's very likely Rask, Andersen, and Binnington don't reach free agency.

Allen, Ranta, Grubauer, MrAzek, Rittich are Halak or Mason types. Could be very good back-ups or fringe starts or they could fall fast like Mason did.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's very likely Rask, Andersen, and Binnington don't reach free agency.

Allen, Ranta, Grubauer, MrAzek, Rittich are Halak or Mason types. Could be very good back-ups or fringe starts or they could fall fast like Mason did.

Yes, basically, in life, anything si possible. Personally, I don't see what "Yes, Seattle would definitely take him," is based on for le_sean.

We'll really only know when we see what the expansion draft strategy was for Francis in the days leading up to the draft when trades and favours are tossed about.

I could see them wanting Price but, I could also see them going for a younger G as there will be good ones available that won't be protected. Montreal would likely have to give up their 1st round pick for them to take Price at no Cap concession/hold back. Maybe more.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yes, basically, in life, anything si possible. Personally, I don't see what "Yes, Seattle would definitely take him," is based on for le_sean.

We'll really only know when we see what the expansion draft strategy was for Francis in the days leading up to the draft when trades and favours are tossed about.

I could see them wanting Price but, I could also see them going for a younger G as there will be good ones available that won't be protected. Montreal would likely have to give up their 1st round pick for them to take Price at no Cap concession/hold back. Maybe more.

They'll take him because they have a brand to sell. Look at what MAF brought to the Vegas franchise, and Price is just as good as him (arguably better) but a more recognizable name. They can put his face up everywhere to market the team.

But it’s all a moot point because I don’t think Bergevin will expose him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Price has to waive his NMC to go to a expansion franchise. I doubt that happens and the minute our GM ask him to waive, he says yeah, but not to Seattle so trade me to one of these 5 teams or leave me alone. It could get very messy

Only way I see Price in Seattle is if we have a disaster season next year and Price gets fed up and will go anywhere. Honestly, I don't see Price going anywhere with that cap hit until the cap rises to about $90M and that might take 3+ years.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Price has to waive his NMC to go to a expansion franchise. I doubt that happens and the minute our GM ask him to waive, he says yeah, but not to Seattle so trade me to one of these 5 teams or leave me alone. It could get very messy

Only way I see Price in Seattle is if we have a disaster season next year and Price gets fed up and will go anywhere. Honestly, I don't see Price going anywhere with that cap hit until the cap rises to about $90M and that might take 3+ years.

If I were you, I'd go with a +++ on that 90M Cap. No way we are at 90M in three years, even with the TV money from Seattle, because that yearly Cap will be based on revenue in two years and I doubt we are back near full capacity for a majority of arenas across the league.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
His shot is putrid and he doesn't have the playmaking to make up for it.

I think his ability to make plays in the offensive zone is greatly diminished because of his shot. Teams actively want Mete to shoot, and really don't even need to get into the shooting lanes. Makes it easy to defend as a whole when you basically get an extra defender taking away the more realistic threats.

He doesn't need to be a double digit goal scorer, but if he could improve his shot enough that teams had to at least give it some respect, than I think his playmaking would come.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I were you, I'd go with a +++ on that 90M Cap. No way we are at 90M in three years, even with the TV money from Seattle, because that yearly Cap will be based on revenue in two years and I doubt we are back near full capacity for a majority of arenas across the league.

Pretty sure once fans are on the seats again, it quickly gets on track like it was before Covid-19... projected cap at that point was $84M - $88M range.

- New US TV deal will go from $200M per year to probably around $600M+. $400M growth at 50/50 revenue divided by 31 teams is about $6M extra in cap per team. You can get even more conservative and say $5M per team.
- Seattle will grow it more

Yeah, in 3+ years, I do see a $90M cap. Once fans are allowed in the seats, they will be flocking to sports arenas and stadiums. Argue with me all you want but I provided context to support my opinion. You don't have to agree but this is not some knee jerk prediction

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Since I saw it several times in the Allen trade thread and it's just going to get buried. Currently the Habs do not have a goalie to expose for the expansion draft. If they re-sign McNiven even if for 1 year it will take care of the problem as the goalie doesn't have to be signed as long as he is a RFA and not a UFA (Allen, Lindgren)

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Since I saw it several times in the Allen trade thread and it's just going to get buried. Currently the Habs do not have a goalie to expose for the expansion draft. If they re-sign McNiven even if for 1 year it will take care of the problem as the goalie doesn't have to be signed as long as he is a RFA and not a UFA (Allen, Lindgren)

Signing McNiven and trading Lindgren (i would retain 50% of his salary) is what I would do.

unless McNiven think he can get a better opportunity with another organization.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Signing McNiven and trading Lindgren (i would retain 50% of his salary) is what I would do.

unless McNiven think he can get a better opportunity with another organization.

i would be all for that, i would think if you told McNiven he will be in Laval all year he would be happy since he's a RFA so he doesn't have any leverage.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah we need to leave Price unprotected, that contract was a huge f***ing mistake. This is the only realistic opportunity to get rid of it.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Yeah we need to leave Price unprotected, that contract was a huge f***ing mistake. This is the only realistic opportunity to get rid of it.
Bergevin would never, ever let Price leave. We're stuck with him, and that contract, for as long as Bergevin remains our GM.

LePenseur

Nov 5, 2016
The most troubling part to me is Bergevin training Domi for a defensemen and giving away Chiarot away for the expension draft instead of Lehkonen or byron eway!

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
The most troubling part to me is Bergevin training Domi for a defensemen and giving away Chiarot away for the expension draft instead of Lehkonen or byron eway!

You can protect 7 forwards, 3 d, 1 goalie, or 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

Petry, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar are ufa, so Montreal can agree to a deal, but sign it after the expansion draft.

So, assuming Montreal does nothing else

Protection list:
Kotkaniemi
Drouin
Chiarot
Weber
Acquired dman for Domi
Petry (assuming his clause forces them to still protect him)
Price

That's only 5 skaters protected. Montreal can protect everyone worth protecting because we don't have nice things

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
NMC means he has to be protected unless he agrees to be unprotected

Edit: didn’t see previous post

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
You can protect 7 forwards, 3 d, 1 goalie, or 8 skaters and 1 goalie.

Petry, Danault, Gallagher and Tatar are ufa, so Montreal can agree to a deal, but sign it after the expansion draft.

So, assuming Montreal does nothing else

Protection list:
Kotkaniemi
Drouin
Chiarot
Weber
Acquired dman for Domi
Petry (assuming his clause forces them to still protect him)
Price

That's only 5 skaters protected. Montreal can protect everyone worth protecting because we don't have nice things
I don’t believe KK needs to be protected as his ELC will be expiring and Petry is on an expiring contract - I don’t expect Habs will resign any of their pending UFAs “officially” till post expansion draft.

Protection list (1G + 8-skaters)
Price, Weber, Chiarot, Drouin, Lekhonen, Kulak, Mete, Fleury, Juulsen

I expect at least one of Kulak/Mete/Fleury/Juulsen to be dealt this offseason and any UFA signings would obviously be added to the protection list. Lots of margin to maneuver..

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
How exactly is Price’s contract keeping this team from adding to improve? Having the best player at any position is not exactly a bad thing

He's not a player, he's a goalie. Goalies are fungible, at least the most fungible position in hockey anyways. The market hasn't reacted to this reality yet. Rather than exploiting a potential arbitrage, we signed him to a contract that he's not worth and had almost no chance of being worth, from which we can't escape.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don’t believe KK needs to be protected as his ELC will be expiring and Petry is on an expiring contract - I don’t expect Habs will resign any of their pending UFAs “officially” till post expansion draft.

Protection list (1G + 8-skaters)
Price, Weber, Chiarot, Drouin, Lekhonen, Kulak, Mete, Fleury, Juulsen

I expect at least one of Kulak/Mete/Fleury/Juulsen to be dealt this offseason and any UFA signings would obviously be added to the protection list. Lots of margin to maneuver..

Unless they changed it, it's any player with 2 years of pro North American hockey. Well, I guess 3 reads better. Suzuki will just be completing his 2nd year, so he's fine, but KK will be completing his 3rd and will need to be protected. I believe Poehling would need protection as well, but could be wrong.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
He's not a player, he's a goalie. Goalies are fungible, at least the most fungible position in hockey anyways. The market hasn't reacted to this reality yet. Rather than exploiting a potential arbitrage, we signed him to a contract that he's not worth and had almost no chance of being worth, from which we can't escape.

Goalies aren't actually fungible. Price is a very good goalie.

I agree that he's overpaid, but for the time being the gap between his value abd his cap hit might be ~3 million/year. That is not relevant in a context where Alzner is overpaid by 4.625 million, Byron by ~2 million, and there's 11 million in cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad