HF Habs: Expansion Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I protect Juulsen, Fleury and Weber then. But Juulsen has to show he can come back. Re-sign Petry. Juulsen may have to shift to the left side. That would leave one opening on defense, but long-term, the right side needs desperate help in the prospect pool.

Healthy Juulsen has the skating size and upside that make Mete expendable.
He could grow on the 3rd pair while taking shift in pk. Would be sad to lose another 1st round pick for nothing

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Protect:
7 forwards: Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Domi, Danault (re-signed), Tatar (re-signed), Gallagher (re-signed), Armia

3 defenseman: Weber, Mete, Juulsen/Fleury (the better of the 2)

1 goalie: Price

Re-sign Petry after the expansion draft.

Seattle will likely pick Lehkonen or Byron. Maybe Chariot even though he will only have 1 year left.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This. The Habs should set their protection list and come to terms they are losing one player not on it. Don’t pay Seattle to take a certain player.

Depends on what those young guys show us in the next year though. If they don't take steps forward, yeah, you let Seattle take one of whoever we don't protect. However, if both Juulsen and Fleury show promise and Mete and Lehkonen have another meh season, I would send them a pick to take one of Mete or Lehkonen and keep Juulsen and Fleury.

I think it's possible we go 4/4/1 protection format too.

Last edited:

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
With how potent the 2022 class is going to be. It is far beyond time for us to cut our losses with Weber and Price. If we play our cards right and get a lot of picks for the 2022 draft (actual 1st rounders), we could finalize the rebuild and grab a Wright, Lambert, Savoie or Miroschenko.
I wish Price would demand a trade. That’s the only possible way Habs management might be forced into a rebuild.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Hockey360 Vidéo: Expansion: les joueurs protégés par le CH? (20/07/23)
Brunet et Therrien échangent sur les différentes possibilités pour le Canadien lors du repêchage d'expansion.

upload_2020-7-24_11-49-12.png

upload_2020-7-24_11-51-11.png

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Suzuki is exempt, but agreed on trading both Tatar and Petry.

I'm thinking if it's Trade Deadline and the expansion draft is a few months away - the value of prospects and draft picks go way up and compared to the value of guys like Petry and Tatar that would need to be protected so I'm not sure if the Habs would get full value.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Tatar - traded
Petry - traded.

Protect:
Danault
Gallagher
Suzuki
Kotkaniemi
Domi
Lehkonen
Drouin

Weber
Mete
Juulsen or Fleury (whoever is better)
Mete will never amount to anything more than a third pairing defenseman and has no size. He’s expendable

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I protect Weber, Juulsen and Fleury if Petry can be re-signed after the expansion draft.

Both Fleury and Juulsen also suffer from being 3rd pairing defenders. Which is why I would protect Mete and whoever is tracking better between Juulsen and Fleury as they are both 3rd pair RD potential.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Both Fleury and Juulsen also suffer from being 3rd pairing defenders. Which is why I would protect Mete and whoever is tracking better between Juulsen and Fleury as they are both 3rd pair RD potential.
Juulsen was once projected to be Perry’s eventual replacement so I want to see what he can accomplish this season. Hopefully he can regain that place

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Juulsen was once projected to be Perry’s eventual replacement so I want to see what he can accomplish this season. Hopefully he can regain that place

I never saw that. His production in junior never took off. Didnt show much offense in the AHL. Struggled with his pivots and speed in the NHL level and hes lost so much development time due to injuries.

I would be thankful if he makes it as a NHL regular after all of this.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Mete will never amount to anything more than a third pairing defenseman and has no size. He’s expendable

He is expendable, but you're way off on Mete. He already has one of the best first pass in the league and elite skating. If he can buff up without loosing speed, he'll be a top 4. He's already been a solid top 4 for long stretches and he's barely over 20 years old, better overall stats than any other left D on the team over the last 3 seasons.

He has the best first pass on the team, which is something we sorely lack.

Reactions: Omar

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
With how potent the 2022 class is going to be. It is far beyond time for us to cut our losses with Weber and Price. If we play our cards right and get a lot of picks for the 2022 draft (actual 1st rounders), we could finalize the rebuild and grab a Wright, Lambert, Savoie or Miroschenko.

And if we trip 2023 is also a strong draft. 2024 looks promising. However, I'm worried about the next 5 drafts if they all lose a year of progress.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I think Seattle will select between Juulsen and Fleury. Vegas took many project toi when they selected their teams. I don’t see any of our forward groups thats they would select. I could protect 6 froward and i would be fine with this. Lol Petry won’t be protect because he doesnt need a sign. So its gonna be weber, mete and one of fleury and juulsen. I doubt that Petry will choose seattle. He will probably prefer know his value on UFA market before. And could come back here if he wants too. If he doesnt. F’eury or juulsen could take his spot...but a lots of things can happen in one season. Mete could downgrade on the board too so ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad