• Yes

Votes: 86 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 48.5%

• Total voters

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
with no price, webs, drouin and especially if Gallagher comes back.. we are all but guaranteed Beddard.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
stop adding Romanov as a green dman. Its his 3rd full year. Hes no rookie anymore.

Savard Edmundson can easily play with rookies while Romanov plays with a veteran for a year or 2 to fill a spot.

Letang is god damn useless for this team at short or mid term. The only thing Letang will do is waste our salary cap that we struggle to get because of those shitty contracts

LOL, people think they should go get Letang, etc. Its going to take a couple years to shed some of these contracts. I just don't get adding another UFA sunset contract when we they are in cap hell.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
LOL, people think they should go get Letang, etc. Its going to take a couple years to shed some of these contracts. I just don't get adding another UFA sunset contract when we they are in cap hell.
stop adding Romanov as a green dman. Its his 3rd full year. Hes no rookie anymore.

Savard Edmundson can easily play with rookies while Romanov plays with a veteran for a year or 2 to fill a spot.

Letang is god damn useless for this team at short or mid term. The only thing Letang will do is waste our salary cap that we struggle to get because of those shitty contracts

I'd say it depends how long is Letang's contract and if we moved other contracts. Over 2 years is definitely a mistake.

.. but if you want fans to go at the Bell Centre and buy "stuff", Letang will probably help to do that. More than Petry.

(I'm not saying that I want Letang)

Reactions: Runner77

Jul 6, 2016
I'd say it depends how long is Letang's contract and if we moved other contracts. Over 2 years is definitely a mistake.

.. but if you want fans to go at the Bell Centre and buy "stuff", Letang will probably help to do that. More than Petry.

You won't get Letang for under a 3 year contract at 7M $. Petry's contract is still good for 3 more years at 6,5M $. Letang is a huge upgrade over Petry.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You won't get Letang for under a 3 year contract at 7M $. Petry's contract is still good for 3 more years at 6,5M $. Letang is a huge upgrade over Petry.

He's an upgrade over Petry, but he's not a huge upgrade over Petry (apart from the first half of this season they have virtual identical stats). He'd also have 35+ contract and it sounds like he'd be looking for an AAV well north of 8 mil on a two year contract.

Jul 6, 2016
He's an upgrade over Petry, but he's not a huge upgrade over Petry (apart from the first half of this season they have virtual identical stats). He'd also have 35+ contract and it sounds like he'd be looking for an AAV well north of 8 mil on a two year contract.
8M $ (per) for two season ? Why not ? If they can free up cap space with Petry, Weber, Price, and few others.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
8M $ (per) for two season ? Why not ? If they can free up cap space with Petry, Weber, Price, and few others.
Why not? Because We are bottom 10 bound next season , we are still selling players. Our salary cap is god damn horrendous. We will be stuck with Price contract ( in my eyes he's done) . With Probably Weber contract traded and Petry (if traded for no salary back) .
Suzuki extension is kicking in , Same goes for Romanov . The money we have will most likely all be gone already. I don't see any vets forwards traded with those awful contracts. Perhaps Anderson if a team is dumb enough.

Letang is just a complete waste of money and a complete waste of failing to rebuild for 2-3 years. He brings nothing we need at the moment except selling merch. I don't want this argument of '' He will help the PP or the kids'' I think that's the worst narrative to give money to a player. Romanov learned himself to be better this season , he doesnt need some overpaid vet to tell him what to do.

Also if Caufield scores 30-35 goals next season with around 30-35 assists (expectation) The money wasted on Letang would make Caufield annoying to sign at long term. Because if he was to get a good season , you sign him direcly 8 years around the same AVV as Suzuki and lock them for long times.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

IDK, maybe being a serious contender will help bring fans to the Bell Centre.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Why not? Because We are bottom 10 bound next season , we are still selling players. Our salary cap is god damn horrendous. We will be stuck with Price contract ( in my eyes he's done) . With Probably Weber contract traded and Petry (if traded for no salary back) .
Suzuki extension is kicking in , Same goes for Romanov . The money we have will most likely all be gone already. I don't see any vets forwards traded with those awful contracts. Perhaps Anderson if a team is dumb enough.

Letang is just a complete waste of money and a complete waste of failing to rebuild for 2-3 years. He brings nothing we need at the moment except selling merch. I don't want this argument of '' He will help the PP or the kids'' I think that's the worst narrative to give money to a player. Romanov learned himself to be better this season , he doesnt need some overpaid vet to tell him what to do.

Also if Caufield scores 30-35 goals next season with around 30-35 assists (expectation) The money wasted on Letang would make Caufield annoying to sign at long term. Because if he was to get a good season , you sign him direcly 8 years around the same AVV as Suzuki and lock them for long times.
From one shit contract to the next. I’m sure a 35yr old Letang will look just as good on a horrid habs roster as he did the pens. It’s like segment of the fan base are ok with continual mediocrity. If there is one year worth continuing to rebuild and go for a top pick it’s next year.

IDK, I guess I’d rather watch the habs be a contender and be entertaining for many years to come than get guys looking for one final payday.

Jul 6, 2016

Romanov learned a lot from Edmundson, Chiarot, Petry, Savard and Weber.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
From one shit contract to the next. I’m sure a 35yr old Letang will look just as good on a horrid habs roster as he did the pens. It’s like segment of the fan base are ok with continual mediocrity. If there is one year worth continuing to rebuild and go for a top pick it’s next year.

IDK, I guess I’d rather watch the habs be a contender and be entertaining for many years to come than get guys looking for one final payday.
Indeed , id rather take the yuck pill for 2-3years then shine for 7-9 than patch. Do people did not learn with Bergevin? Im so tired of the 35 year olds quebecois wanting to play for habs just to collect that fat paycheck and be close to home. We aint ''Les residence Soleil''
We are trying to build a team for the upcoming years. We already have Edmundon and Savard at the mid term. Just find some vet with a year left somewhere and play him with Romanov.
Romanov learned a lot from Edmundson, Chiarot, Petry, Savard and Weber.
Well Romanov sure didnt learn from Petry this season , this I can tell you.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Same as this year
No Price, Weber, Chariot, Toffoli, Lehkonen, plus the massive decline of Drouin, Gallagher, Hoffman, Armia, Petry, chances are we don't bring back Perrault, Pacquette, Wideman - this team isn't going to be better next year!

It was said we will have more youth next season too, so that pretty much (and rightfully) rules out any UFA signings - and there's still a strong possibility we sell on draft day! We are almost guaranteed to be a lottery team again next season.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Indeed , id rather take the yuck pill for 2-3years then shine for 7-9 than patch. Do people did not learn with Bergevin? Im so tired of the 35 year olds quebecois wanting to play for habs just to collect that fat paycheck and be close to home. We aint ''Les residence Soleil''
We are trying to build a team for the upcoming years. We already have Edmundon and Savard at the mid term. Just find some vet with a year left somewhere and play him with Romanov.

Well Romanov sure didnt learn from Petry this season , this I can tell you.

Nailed it!

Reactions: HankyZetts

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No Price, Weber, Chariot, Toffoli, Lehkonen, plus the massive decline of Drouin, Gallagher, Hoffman, Armia, Petry, chances are we don't bring back Perrault, Pacquette, Wideman - this team isn't going to be better next year!

It was said we will have more youth next season too, so that pretty much (and rightfully) rules out any UFA signings - and there's still a strong possibility we sell on draft day! We are almost guaranteed to be a lottery team again next season.

They will still try to sign UFA vets for max 1-2 seasons with the understanding that they'll get traded to a playoff team at TDL.

Reactions: HankyZetts and SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Even if we wanted to try and go hard in the UFA market, we don't even have much space. Hughes/Gorton told Molson I'm sure: hey bro, the budget sucks, we need 2 years to reset it, kthxbye.
Post automatically merged:

They will still try to sign UFA vets for max 1-2 seasons with the understanding that they'll get traded to a playoff team at TDL.
But they will also trade more players at the draft/post UFA. Dvorak, Petry, Weber, maybe Price

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Next year it's all about the prospects.
If this team goes somewhere next year it will mainly be because those prospects are better than expected...and not even talking about PO here.

Getting rid of Drouin, Armia and Hoffman and replacing them by 2-3 prospects that impress....it's not really a downgrade since those players have been mostly useless last season. But if there's no one ready, that's another story. Our prospects will dictate next season.

I don't think we have a sure shot but we have a couple of jokers for sure. Next training camp should be fun.

Reactions: Habs13

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
But they will also trade more players at the draft/post UFA. Dvorak, Petry, Weber, maybe Price
Byron, Drouin and Allen are all going into the final years of their contracts. Might be teams interested in them for one season, and if not, probably all but Drouin come trade deadline.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I think there's way more habs in the HOF than in the rafters, so its inherently a tougher line to cross.

We'll agree to disagree about the cups, but I'll just conclude by saying the cup factor is too circumstantial. I have a hard time believing that price wouldn't yeild similar team results to Dryden with the kinds of teams they had back then.
People forget how brutal this team would have been without Price. He carried them for a lot of seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad