Is it the last time we see Carey Price with the Habs

• Yes

Votes: 86 51.5%
  • No

Votes: 81 48.5%

• Total voters

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Completely irrealistic and stuck in a bygone era.

Except for Roy, all the names in the rafters have had their accomplishments in a league of 12 teams or less.

We're getting close to 3 times the number of teams there used to have. 3 times harder to either get a cup or individial awards.

Stop living in the past and get with the program.

Now, before you answer some tripe about retiring numbers for winning meaningless trophies, realize it's your standard that needs to be lowered a smidgen, but not all the way to the ground (no one wants to be another Bergevin).
Except for Roy, who should have his number retired in this era? If Habs had a Jagr, a Lidstrom or a McDavid, even without cups these players qualify. Price could be, but he would be a sure bet with a Connie-Smythe.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Is it fair to add the cup in there when the greatest to ever play couldn't win it without a great team around them?

Mario never won in the 80s, because his team wasn't good enough. Gretzky never won in the 90s because his teams were never as good as Edmonton. Hasek never won in Buffalo because the team wasn't good enough.

It's basically punishing price for something out of his control.

Hasek also had 6 Vezina’s, 2 Hart trophies, 2 Lindsay awards. Lemieux had 3 Hart trophies, 4 Lindsay awards. If Price had those accomplishments (like I noted in my previous post about multiple awards over multiples seasons) and no Stanley Cups I’d have no problem with the organization retiring his jersey.

But he doesn’t, he won 1 Hart/Lindsay/Vezina in 2015. He was only named to the NHL 1st all-star team once in his career and never to the 2nd.

He should be in the HOF, he should be honoured, but his jersey shouldn’t be retired.

The Habs organization may end up seeing your points and having a ceremony in the future. I just don’t think he got to that level.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Markov and Koivu don’t compare to Price. I understand there should be standards but it might be time to revisit those standards.
Jacques Lemaire and Claude Provost deserve to have their numbers retired long before a non cup winning goalie.

Provost played on 10 cup winners and was arguably one of the best defensive forwards to ever play. As deserving as Gainey or more.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hasek also had 6 Vezina’s, 2 Hart trophies, 2 Lindsay awards. Lemieux had 3 Hart trophies, 4 Lindsay awards. If Price had those accomplishments (like I noted in my previous post about multiple awards over multiples seasons) and no Stanley Cups I’d have no problem with the organization retiring his jersey.

But he doesn’t, he won 1 Hart/Lindsay/Vezina in 2015. He was only named to the NHL 1st all-star team once in his career and never to the 2nd.

Your bar for having a Habs jersey retired is clearly lower than mine, that’s fine. The Habs organization may end up seeing your points and having a ceremony in the future.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said whether price should have his jersey retired or not. I'd probably be leaning to "no" but it's something I'd have to think about by comparing to the other names up there. There's so many jerseys up there that I can't think of all them at once.

My whole point is that his lack of cups is irrelevant to the debate, when the greatest ever couldn't do it without a proper team around them.

The only time we saw price play for teams that were stacked was in the international stage, and he won those tournaments everytime.

Yet, we want to deduct points because he never got the opportunity for a decent shot at the cup in the nhl.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said whether price should have his jersey retired or not. I'd probably be leaning to "no" but it's something I'd have to think about by comparing to the other names up there. There's so many jerseys up there that I can't think of all them at once.

My whole point is that his lack of cups is irrelevant to the debate, when the greatest ever couldn't do it without a proper team around them.

The only time we saw price play for teams that were stacked was in the international stage, and he won those tournaments everytime.

Yet, we want to deduct points because he never got the opportunity for a decent shot at the cup in the nhl.

Fair enough on your point about whether you believe he should have his jersey retired.

But as far as Cups go, call it unfair if you want, but leading a team to a Stanley Cup is a pretty big criteria for me for having one of the highest honours in hockey and in the Habs storied franchise. A honour that goes far beyond being put in the HOF.

I did note though what I thought the criteria was, for having his jersey retired, with no Cup wins. He never got to that level in my opinion.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Fair enough on your point about whether you believe he should have his jersey retired.

But as far as Cups go, call it unfair if you want, but leading a team to a Stanley Cup is a pretty big criteria for me for having one of the highest honours in hockey and in the Habs storied franchise. A honour that goes far beyond being put in the HOF.

I think there's way more habs in the HOF than in the rafters, so its inherently a tougher line to cross.

We'll agree to disagree about the cups, but I'll just conclude by saying the cup factor is too circumstantial. I have a hard time believing that price wouldn't yeild similar team results to Dryden with the kinds of teams they had back then.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
And if he won't retire, he's essentially a 10.5 million dollar backup. Hopefully he makes the right decision, otherwise this will weigh the team down for years.
This will NOT happen, he already said if he could not return to his standards, he would NOT be a burden to his team.
There is no issue here.....there will be NO 10.5M backup.
Case closed.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The more Hughes talks about Price, the less I think he’ll be back next year. The entry draft, going into the program, surgery and rehabilitation. Just seems so many things have happened in such a short time that all lead to Price not being a Hab much longer. Even last nights 10-2 win feels like a fitting send off the team wanted to get for him.
Another factor too is even if Price could play, there are no guarantees that he could be at the level he wants to be or if he can, the pain that comes with that may be large. We'll see what happens but definitely judging by the press conference yesterday, I wouldnt be surprised if Price retires.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think there's way more habs in the HOF than in the rafters, so its inherently a tougher line to cross.

We'll agree to disagree about the cups, but I'll just conclude by saying the cup factor is too circumstantial. I have a hard time believing that price wouldn't yeild similar team results to Dryden with the kinds of teams they had back then.

As it (the line) should be, especially for a franchise like the Habs.

I did post my criteria for having his jersey retired with no Cups. He never got to that level in my opinion. Other than 2015 he never won any of the big individual awards or got named to a single NHL first or second all-star team at the end of the season.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If he does come back next year he will face much tougher questions from the media, he came in when the season was lost with no pressure to win and if he is getting annoyed by having to talk to them now, he should move on. We are potentially losing Price to LTIR or retirement and probably trading Petry so it's not as if the team will be that much better next season but the media won't care about that. Marty needs a veteran assistant to help him out but they aren't going that route for some reason.
Thing is, we don’t really know why Marty looked unhappy. He’s rich, he’s working for friends, he’s in the HOF but he’s still human -- it could have been anything, even something personal that threw him off.

This behavior was not consistent with the way he's handled past pressers so maybe it was just a one-off.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Another factor too is even if Price could play, there are no guarantees that he could be at the level he wants to be or if he can, the pain that comes with that may be large. We'll see what happens but definitely judging by the press conference yesterday, I wouldnt be surprised if Price retires.
That’s the issue. Add in the meds he’d have to take for pain management and his recent addiction issues and it’s all bad news. Think he retires next year.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The Carey Price situation is actually pretty good for those of us that want to rebuild.

While he's in limbo, we can't use his 10.5M in cap space to improve the team. And, in all likelihood, he won't help much next year, given his knee problem probably won't be healed 100%.
Although I'd argue the cap situation isnt ideal because then we cant take on bad contracts for assets.

In terms of a rebuild though I think the situation is ideal in the sense that it fully kicks the team to a rebuild since we shouldn't consider competing with the goalies we have now. Id move Allen for picks/prospects and tey to acquire a young goalie with promise (dream situation would be Hart for me, seems like he could use a fresh start and it would be pretty fitting going from Price to Hart in terms of how they both play the game).

Reactions: 26Mats

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The Habs should acquire Sateri from Arizona and Johansson from Florida to lead them to the promised land (is that better?).
Its been a long time since ive seen such a bad goaltending performance in an NHL game than Johansson on Friday. He was never in position and was down early.

Reactions: jaffy27

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

We do have the Ring of Honour that he can definitely go on immediately. Don't let anyone use his number any time soon (or not...15 players wore #29 after Dryden) and decisions about the rafters can be made in a leisurely manner.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We do have the Ring of Honour that he can definitely go on immediately. Don't let anyone use his number any time soon (or not...15 players wore #29 after Dryden) and decisions about the rafters can be made in a leisurely manner.

One way or the other, they will have a ceremony for him, I'm sure. Koivu got his night, and I don't even remember if he went on the ROH.

I think markov would be the other guy who deserves some sort of recognition as well.

Reactions: loudi94

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The habs need a veteran presence, and someone who can show the team how to QB a PP. Someone who can help mentor the many number of young defensive prospects the habs have coming in. When you hear the kind of team Gorton wants, it aligns with the profile of letang.

If Petry leaves, you have two veterans left in savard, and edmundson.... That's it.

So getting a guy like letang isn't so much about trying to win and abandoning the rebuild... It's about about supporting that re-build..... Because dressing 4 green dmen skating around with heads cut off probably isn't a great developmental move either.

I think it comes down to whether letang has any desire to take on such a role and basically say good bye to any more possible cups(barring a trade to a contender down the road), and how much of an investment that the habs believe this role is worth for the sake of the young players.
I get that, but that's a very expensive mentor. As I alluded to, what if a guy like that helps improve the team next year enough that they finish say, just outside the playoffs? I don't see the benefit of that next year. I'd rather they have another great draft and worry about it the year after.

Reactions: NewDef

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The habs need a veteran presence, and someone who can show the team how to QB a PP. Someone who can help mentor the many number of young defensive prospects the habs have coming in. When you hear the kind of team Gorton wants, it aligns with the profile of letang.

If Petry leaves, you have two veterans left in savard, and edmundson.... That's it.

So getting a guy like letang isn't so much about trying to win and abandoning the rebuild... It's about about supporting that re-build..... Because dressing 4 green dmen skating around with heads cut off probably isn't a great developmental move either.

I think it comes down to whether letang has any desire to take on such a role and basically say good bye to any more possible cups(barring a trade to a contender down the road), and how much of an investment that the habs believe this role is worth for the sake of the young players.
stop adding Romanov as a green dman. Its his 3rd full year. Hes no rookie anymore.

Savard Edmundson can easily play with rookies while Romanov plays with a veteran for a year or 2 to fill a spot.

Letang is god damn useless for this team at short or mid term. The only thing Letang will do is waste our salary cap that we struggle to get because of those shitty contracts

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I get that, but that's a very expensive mentor. As I alluded to, what if a guy like that helps improve the team next year enough that they finish say, just outside the playoffs? I don't see the benefit of that next year. I'd rather they have another great draft and worry about it the year after.

That's the difficult part of a rebuild process. Theres a tightroping act of keeping the culture in tact despite all the losing while accumulating high end picks.

The organization thought enough of the culture that they fired ducharme when they did. They fully expected to lose, but the way they were doing it under ducharme was actually toxic.

The more you lose, the more difficult it is to keep that desired culture, but the more you lose, the closer you are at bedard, who is the real prize. It's a bit of a catch 22.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Completely agree with you.

Jersey retirements should be for the cream of the crop.
Fair or not. No cup. No jersey retirement
Post automatically merged:

Exactly. Like I understand Bob Gainey was a very good player and changed the idea of what a forward should do, but he wasn’t even a top 5 player on his teams. Dickie Moore wasn’t even the best player on his line, neither was Cournoyer.
They won cups.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I can't see HuGo letting go Petry, without replacing him with a near equivalent player. Letang as rumoured would be a huge improvement. Though I hope like hell we don't meet his rumoured asking price and term. I'm not counting on Price whatsoever. But there's still rumours floating around that we're still interested in Samsonov. Who is a much better goalie than Monty. In fact I'd be very surprised if Monty makes the team out of training camp.

As I mentioned about the D. I think Petry will be replaced. Plus I agree, as you mentioned another veteran D will be added. So less Clague, Lags, Wideman or whatever scraps we threw out there. Also having Edmundston from the start of camp will be a plus.

I agree on that. Unless our pick just comes in and dominates training camp. I can't see them making the team this season.

I also agree that Suzuki and Caufield should be better. Also hopefully with a proper training camp for MSL. He is able to find an ideal winger to compliment them.

If Drouin is healthy, since it's a contract year for him. I don't expect an all star performance. But I'd be very surprised if he has a similar season as they past two. Gally showed small improvements over the last 10 games. So like Drouin, I expect after a long summer off. He'll come back stronger. He's still young enough that he could have a Jeff Skinner type come back. Anderson is Anderson and Hoffman is Hoffman. If they come to play, they can be positive influences on the team. As for Dvorak, I liked his game the last month or so. So I think his game will improve.

We're not that far apart. You say bottom 5, I say 10th. There's not a lot of points in between.

Ouch, well if Suzuki goes down. I'd definitely have to re-think my opinion. lol

Edit: Almost forgot about R. Pitlick. Love the kid, but I can see him dropping off a little bit.
Drouin is finished. Gallagher is finished. I suspect Carey is finished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad