Exit Interviews and Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Stolarz could stay healthy he might be a big upgrade over Lyon.
Then when Neuvirth goes down for the last time, we have a viable option.

Of course, the savior may come riding into South Philly on his donkey sometime this winter . . .

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I don't disagree. Hextall does though.

Both goalies will be back and no big upgrades are on the horizon.

After watching his press conference, I got the impression he’d be looking to get better from within and through trade/free agency.

I wouldn’t expect him to ever come out and straight up
say they’re looking to acquire premiere talent. He plays it too close to the vest.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
But honestly....we all KNEW the rebuild was not over now. It's why he traded Schenn.

Even at forward, we have 1-2 guys ready to move up....but none are impact guys. The impact guys are the next wave with Frost, Allison, etc...

I dislike Hak and have said he is not a good coach due to who he plays, how much, and his lack of being able to adapt. That has not changed.

But I also DO understand why Hextall has not fired him. As a GM, you usually get 2 hirings for coach. If he fires him now, the clock starts ticking on the 2nd guy right now while the rebuild is still happening. And after a 98 point season, I do understand not doing it now. Especially when Hextall himself has has removed "now piece" for future pieces. And then we all...or most...want Simmonds moved for futures too.

He may view Knob as that future head coach and getting more NHL benchtime for him is likely a good move in his development.

I DO think Hextall will be looking to take that next step next year and has teh cap space and assets to do it. I am going to try and keep an open mind to see what, or who is added. If it's another capdump, then he is dead to me.
great read.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
This offseason is of particular interest to me. Hextall has the space, picks/prospects, and etc. to actually make a real move. I'm still on board with a 3 year 7 million Stastny deal or equivalent. Tavares would be an excellent piece but I think that's going to be a harder buy. I'll be pissed at Hextall if Filppula ends up being re-signed and that's the only move.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I DO think Hextall will be looking to take that next step next year and has teh cap space and assets to do it. I am going to try and keep an open mind to see what, or who is added. If it's another capdump, then he is dead to me.

I don't mind a cap dump THIS summer, because you're just trying to plug a hole until Frost grows up - I'm pretty certain he's going to be the 3C in 2019-20, and Vorobyev the 4C. So if they take one step back to take two steps forward in a year where they could roll out 4 solid lines, so be it.

Same way I can live with Elliott/Neuvirth one more season with Hart in the AHL and Sandstrom starting in the SHL and Ustimenko in the KHL. I'd like an upgrade, but I'm not going to overpay for 1-2 years of good but not great play.

If he trades Simmonds for picks or keeps him and lets him walk, I'm somewhat indifferent, if someone made a good offer I think he'd trade him, but at this point in the rebuild I don't think it's essential if the offer is only a late 1st or a 2nd and 3rd rd pick.

Ideally, they sign a veteran center who's an upgrade to Filppula to a 1-2 year overpriced deal (instead of a longer term), sign/trade for a bottom six forward and put a package together for a veteran RHD, then flip MacDonald (salary retained) and/or Gudas for draft picks. And find a goalie who's an upgrade to Neuvirth (i.e. can survive two starts in a row without going on IR).

A bunch of smart "little" moves this summer could make this team more competitive without messing with the long-term plan.

Reactions: Bruckuss

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I don't mind a cap dump THIS summer, because you're just trying to plug a hole until Frost grows up - I'm pretty certain he's going to be the 3C in 2019-20, and Vorobyev the 4C. So if they take one step back to take two steps forward in a year where they could roll out 4 solid lines, so be it.

Why on earth would the Flyers be taking another cap dump again? The rebuild should be over and this team should be trending upwards. The Flyers need to be making the playoffs now not taking more scrubs that don't provide any use on the ice. It would be one thing to acquire E. Karlsson with Bobby Ryan but to just get another Lehtera back would be awful.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Same way I can live with Elliott/Neuvirth one more season with Hart in the AHL and Sandstrom starting in the SHL and Ustimenko in the KHL. I'd like an upgrade, but I'm not going to overpay for 1-2 years of good but not great play.

If he trades Simmonds for picks or keeps him and lets him walk, I'm somewhat indifferent, if someone made a good offer I think he'd trade him, but at this point in the rebuild I don't think it's essential if the offer is only a late 1st or a 2nd and 3rd rd pick.

Ideally, they sign a veteran center who's an upgrade to Filppula to a 1-2 year overpriced deal (instead of a longer term), sign/trade for a bottom six forward and put a package together for a veteran RHD, then flip MacDonald (salary retained) and/or Gudas for draft picks. And find a goalie who's an upgrade to Neuvirth (i.e. can survive two starts in a row without going on IR).

A bunch of smart "little" moves this summer could make this team more competitive without messing with the long-term plan.

I don’t think he’d move Simmonds without replacing him with an established top 6 forward.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But honestly....we all KNEW the rebuild was not over now. It's why he traded Schenn.

Even at forward, we have 1-2 guys ready to move up....but none are impact guys. The impact guys are the next wave with Frost, Allison, etc...

I dislike Hak and have said he is not a good coach due to who he plays, how much, and his lack of being able to adapt. That has not changed.

But I also DO understand why Hextall has not fired him. As a GM, you usually get 2 hirings for coach. If he fires him now, the clock starts ticking on the 2nd guy right now while the rebuild is still happening. And after a 98 point season, I do understand not doing it now. Especially when Hextall himself has has removed "now piece" for future pieces. And then we all...or most...want Simmonds moved for futures too.

He may view Knob as that future head coach and getting more NHL benchtime for him is likely a good move in his development.

:thumbu:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Since Simmonds is now a third line forward, I think Hextall would be happy with a draft pick and a bottom six forward with upside.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why on earth would the Flyers be taking another cap dump again? The rebuild should be over and this team should be trending upwards. The Flyers need to be making the playoffs now not taking more scrubs that don't provide any use on the ice. It would be one thing to acquire E. Karlsson with Bobby Ryan but to just get another Lehtera back would be awful.

The reason to take a salary dump is to help the other team navigate a deal.

Say we trade for a RHD, but a team wants us to take a salary dump in the form of say a Filppula of two years ago so they can hit the FA market, so we're able to get them to take Hagg and a 2nd rd pick for a top four RHD by doing so - I'd jump on that.

All we need at 3C is a competent center for one year, who at worst can be the 13th forward in 2019-20 when Frost arrives if he has two years left on his deal.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
The reason to take a salary dump is to help the other team navigate a deal.

Say we trade for a RHD, but a team wants us to take a salary dump in the form of say a Filppula of two years ago so they can hit the FA market, so we're able to get them to take Hagg and a 2nd rd pick for a top four RHD by doing so - I'd jump on that.

All we need at 3C is a competent center for one year, who at worst can be the 13th forward in 2019-20 when Frost arrives if he has two years left on his deal.

This team should be looking to shred as much useless salary as possible. Adding more detriments to the roster is terrible. This team should be trending upwards not taking bad players who will be overused. At the right price it depends on how much salary one is going to come with. How many teams are looking to give away a better player to remove cap space? Usually you're acquiring a better player and giving picks and a bad contract back to make your team better. How many teams are actively looking to get worse while shredding salary?

Don't you keep running on and on about scrubs and how you can't evaluate Hakstol properly? (I don't think this is true at all and is a terrible way to evaluate a coach)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
All depends what's out there, at what cost.
We basically need a 3C for one year.
So a 1-2 year salary dump who is a solid 3C but paid like a 2C is a viable option, if we are compensated for taking that salary off someone's hands.
Like I said, it would be a situation where we take the player in return for sweetening the deal, like the Schenn deal.

You have to explore all options in the summer, you don't want to go into the season with Frost, Vorobyev, MV and Bardreau as your options at 3C and 4C and find out Frost and Vorobyev aren't ready.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
All depends what's out there, at what cost.
We basically need a 3C for one year.
So a 1-2 year salary dump who is a solid 3C but paid like a 2C is a viable option, if we are compensated for taking that salary off someone's hands.
Like I said, it would be a situation where we take the player in return for sweetening the deal, like the Schenn deal.

You have to explore all options in the summer, you don't want to go into the season with Frost, Vorobyev, MV and Bardreau as your options at 3C and 4C and find out Frost and Vorobyev aren't ready.

I think a 3C for two years at a minimal is more ideal. Its better not to just assume that Frost will be that 3rd center by next year. I'd rather over pay on a guy like Stastny (or even Thornton for 2 years) and just slide them over to wing when Frost is ready. At some point I think the Flyers are better to move on from Simmonds as well since he's a very niche player due to his RW only play. He's going to command too much money for a guy who doesn't provide good enough ES play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have no problem with a 2 yr deal for a center with the chops to move to LW (especially since Raffl will be gone after next season, opening a spot at LW). I'm wary of anything longer than that, because by 2020 the island is gonna be awfully crowded.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I though Ghost's comments really points out why experience matters, and why people need to be patient, with a lot of young players on the roster and coming up, it'll take a couple years where the majority of players can handle PO pressure:

Personally I don't think I played too well in the playoffs," said Shayne Gostisbehere. "I know a lot of guys will be hard on themselves, but personally what I thought is that I played in the playoffs before and I didn't really play against first lines in my first playoff series. Then ,this year, I did. It's a tough task going against Sid [Crosby] the way he's playing is world class right now and it's tough, it definitely stinks. You think you're so well prepared for it and you go out in your first game and you're minus-4. It's a tough pill to swallow and I think it was about weathering he storm for me, I think I was on the ice for some crappy goals and some goals that were my fault. It's just the way it is."

Now Ghost is 24, with three years of experience and he admits to being overmatched his first time playing a premier line. He'll learn from it, but it just emphasizes how hard it gets to move up from each level of play, juniors, juniors playoffs, AHL, AHL playoffs, NHL, NHL playoffs. It's real easy to say "promote Frost, promote Hart" and dump the scrubs, but it's a huge jump from say Frost playing good but not great in junior PO hockey to the NHL next year.

Reactions: achdumeingute

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Hextall talking about going young on defense, last year v this year towards the end.
He's pretty much hinting that he's comfortable going "young" this year.
Last year, Provorov 1 year, Ghost 2 years, Hagg, Sanheim, Morin rookies made him uncomfortable.
Now they're "mature" young.

Generally, he sounds nervous about playing guys out of junior hockey, of course, most players aren't Provorov and Patrick.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ghost struggling in the playoffs doesn't mean he isn't a top pair defensemen, as some tried to pretend.

How many defensemen can play against Crosby and come out of it looking good? Especially with that goaltending.

There is a reason they are back to back champions, and there is a reason Crosby will considered a top-10 player all-time. Ghost having a tough time against the best player of this generation shouldn't shock anyone.

Guy is still a quality top pairing defenseman.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This jumps out at me.
2016-17: 5x5 126 GF - 154 GA
2017-18: 5x5 158 GF - 145 GA

note that the goaltending was pretty bad both years, so this reflects on ice improvement.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost does have physical limitations that may dictate certain matchups when other defensemen improve.

For example, Sanheim potentially would be better to match up against a top scoring line when he's ready because his size and reach, combined with his speed, gives him a better opportunity to break up plays, same with Myers down the road.

Ghost will be our best PP QB for a while, and that is certainly a priority for his PT.
And given his size, limiting him to 18 minutes or so could keep him fresher, when a 185 lb defenseman has to lean against 200+ lb forwards all game, it is going to wear him down a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad