Exit Interviews and Injury Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
But I also DO understand why Hextall has not fired him. As a GM, you usually get 2 hirings for coach. If he fires him now, the clock starts ticking on the 2nd guy right now while the rebuild is still happening. And after a 98 point season, I do understand not doing it now. Especially when Hextall himself has has removed "now piece" for future pieces. And then we all...or most...want Simmonds moved for futures too.

Seconding and adding on: Hak has 2 years left- next year he goes into the “lame duck” season, so a decision would tradionally be made based on this upcoming season. If the coach does well, you extend him before goin into the last season to show confidence and keep the team aligned behind him. If you are not going to extend, you replace him, giving a year of severance and avoiding uncertainty for the team.

And as a new coach should get to pick his assistants, keeping the incumbents selections for the coach’s penultimate season makes sense. It also removes a variable from the extension decision.

Again, this is common practice in sports (baseball, football, etc.) so it might apply here. This is also why I never expected Hak to be canned, even though I hoped Lappy would be gone (and he still may be given important responsibilities away from the PK, like organizing Fathers Weekend ).

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
They have no plans to fix it. Hextall just said both will be back yesterday.

Both goalies will be back.

It will be another ****show next year.

I predict Hart and Stolarz will be with the big club for 10-15 games each. This is based solely on injury expectations.

They won’t get more than 2 appearances each, but they will get called up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There basically aren't any soft 5-foot-11 ~180 pound skilled players in the NHL. Because if they were soft, they wouldn't make it to the NHL.

Have you watched Leier try to forecheck? :facepalm:

"Soft" might not be the right word, "physically challenged"?

TK is an example of a smaller (but stouter) player who is physical, probably won't top 190 lbs, but plays like he's Voracek's size, too bad Voracek doesn't play like TK.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Finally got around to watching Hextall's presser.

Coaches - Obviously hate that Hak will be back, but I am not surprised. He was going to be back regardless of how this season ended. Not surprised about Lappy either...I have said before he is the good cop on the staff. The players like him, so if he is fired there is no buffer between Hak and the players which would be a disaster. Hextall knows this which is why Lappy cant be let go. It is pretty sad when the players hate their coach so much that you need a guy like Lappy around to keep the peace. I still think Hak has a bigger say in special teams than we are led to believe...our PP didnt change at all this year.

Defense - Happy Mandog and co wont be back. Was also pleased that it sounds like he will be ok with a younger defense now. The concern I have is that Hak will still insist on Gudas and Amac being locks back there, so only 2 of Sanheim, Hagg, and Morin will get playing time. If Hextall brings in another vet D, he needs to get rid of one of the others...otherwise Sanheim and Morin will sit every game. I dont think Meyers has any shot.

Forwards - Glad he recognizes the hole at 3C. I am not sure what options are out there, but it does sound like he will be looking. Let's hope he finds something because Filpulla is plan B. He didn't say anything to suggest Simmer would be 100% back...so I guess there is still hope he is traded. I am surprised no one asked about JT...not that he wouldve answered..but it would have been a very Carchidi thing to do. Lethera back is whatever...he'll be gone next year...the only issue is Hak will way over use him.

Goalies - Sounds like we are stuck with Elliott/Neuvirth. Also sounds like goaltending will only be upgraded when someone from within our system forces it to be.

Other - As always Hextall was smug and arrogant...but it was not as bad as I thought. I liked that some reporters pressed him for once and his answers were pretty bad to those questions. Sounds like hes open to moving up or moving a pick which is nice.

Reactions: duffy9748

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Have you watched Leier try to forecheck? :facepalm:

"Soft" might not be the right word, "physically challenged"?

TK is an example of a smaller (but stouter) player who is physical, probably won't top 190 lbs, but plays like he's Voracek's size, too bad Voracek doesn't play like TK.

and yet the 4th line was its most effective when Leier was out there for the first half of the year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Corsi yes, scoring no - because only Laughton could shoot and neither Raffl or Leier was a playmaker.
Plus Leier was a disaster on the PK.

Finally got around to watching Hextall's presser.

Coaches - Obviously hate that Hak will be back, but I am not surprised. He was going to be back regardless of how this season ended. Not surprised about Lappy either...I have said before he is the good cop on the staff. The players like him, so if he is fired there is no buffer between Hak and the players which would be a disaster. Hextall knows this which is why Lappy cant be let go. It is pretty sad when the players hate their coach so much that you need a guy like Lappy around to keep the peace. I still think Hak has a bigger say in special teams than we are led to believe...our PP didnt change at all this year.

And your evidence for this statement is????

Talk about fake news.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Corsi yes, scoring no - because only Laughton could shoot and neither Raffl or Leier was a playmaker.
Plus Leier was a disaster on the PK.

And your evidence for this statement is????

Talk about fake news.

I dont support Hakstol but if they need Lappy around to keep the peace then all the coaches should be fired. I'm not sure if Adam works for Fox News.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
31542728_10213506897601630_57386177467854314_n.jpg

:popcorn:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’d be shocked if he trades both picks to move up, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him trade a later pick with one of them to move up a bit if someone falls (like with TK).

Reactions: Tripod

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I would not be at all suprised if when Hextall goes to the draft he orders Cheetoes and trades up for dipping cheese.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I’d be shocked if he trades both picks to move up, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him trade a later pick with one of them to move up a bit if someone falls (like with TK).

I agree. I can see them moving either pick, just not both in the same deal. Moving up from 14 to 10 or falling back from 19 to 23, something along those lines.

Reactions: Striiker and Magua

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Carlson and JVR. Of course you'd have to overpay to get them, but they definitely qualify as being good.

Stastny could be a good short term 3C.

Hextall using the surfeit of cap space he created to get the term for JVR down to 5 years is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad