Pre-Game Talk: Exhibition: Canucks vs Jets - July 29th - 7:30 PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks always lose to the jets its seems. 4-2 Jets with our goals being uninteresting and when the game is out a reach. Goals by Motte and Edler

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Looks like most of them are the closest geographical teams, and often known rivalries.

And then there's the famous are that contains both Vancouver and Winnipeg.

At least we still have some manor of rivalry. Boston vs. Columbus? That seems like a leftover pairing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Should be far more illuminating than normal exhibition games.....both teams will be down their starting lineups and the first games in their 'play-in series' are just around the corner.

Hellebucyck always seems to out-duel Markstrom in games between the Cancucks and Jets.....a tight 3-2 game, either way.

Reactions: Ozone

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
I'm betting this is a very very ugly game for both goaltenders, probably looking at a high scoring affair. 7-5 either way.

Reactions: Bob Long

Bob Long

May 31, 2018
Climax, SK
I'm not looking forward to the inevitable injuries from this one. WPG is going to try to kill us.

I can't see Cowgary getting past WPG either.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Canucks game time is TEN days away. This is CRAZY

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I couldn't care less if they win or lose, just want the team to come away without any injuries.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We've always horribly matched up against the Jets in the last few years (although I think that we're starting to close the gap)..

Looking forward to it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think this is a good matchup for the Canucks. The Jets seem to dominate us in terms of possession and chances. It will be a good measuring stick of where the team is at and what they need to adjust for getting ready for the playoffs. I’m especially interested to see how our top 6 does as it’s the best balanced group we’ve had in a while now that all are healthy.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Yeah lets bench a kid that just had a career year and is built for the playoffs.. makes sense
A kid that plasters his own teammate during a scrimmage, is out of shape and gets called out by his captain... do you really think the other players are going to put up with that? MacEwen alone and Ferland if he manages to suit up EASILY replaces what Virtanen brings to the lineup. He was riding pine yesterday during pracitce. I won't be surprised if Green sits his ass on the sidelines, and it won't bother me either. In a long shot, he smartens the F up and gets his shit together before exhibition - but I just don't see it. The kid is nothing but trouble.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Calgary vs Edmonton in an exhibition game? Surely the NHL is trolling.... here, have a 'warm-up' game against your most hated opponent!

they also have the Rangers and Isles playing each other and the Flyers and Penguins. I think the NHL want to start things off with a bang.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
I'm just happy Ferland was able to not only play but apparently he was able to play with the edge that he needs to be effective.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Would be perfectly happy if they sat Hughes and Patterson. These are the guys I don’t want you getting banged up. Does anyone know if they’ve determined whether these are gonna be broadcast yet.

Reactions: nucks88

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
A kid that plasters his own teammate during a scrimmage, is out of shape and gets called out by his captain... do you really think the other players are going to put up with that? MacEwen alone and Ferland if he manages to suit up EASILY replaces what Virtanen brings to the lineup. He was riding pine yesterday during pracitce. I won't be surprised if Green sits his ass on the sidelines, and it won't bother me either. In a long shot, he smartens the F up and gets his shit together before exhibition - but I just don't see it. The kid is nothing but trouble.

I strongly disagree that he is “nothing but trouble”, he’s a young NHL player who is still trying to figure out what it takes to be a pro. Some guys mature at different rates, some guys just don’t get it right away. I am a strong defender of Virtanen, I think he has a bright NHL future.

With that being said, this is a short camp with a jump directly to playoff hockey, there is no room for mistakes. If Virtanen has not looked ready, and is being outplayed, he shouldn’t start. Perhaps that will serve as a wake up call for him, I guess we’ll see. It doesn’t change my overall forecast of him though one way or another.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Would be perfectly happy if they sat Hughes and Patterson. These are the guys I don’t want you getting banged up. Does anyone know if they’ve determined whether these are gonna be broadcast yet.

Isn’t the whole intent of this game to be a tune up game against a real opponent? I think we’d be making a mistake by sitting out stars, but I suppose I understand the mentality. I would hope for some degree of mutual understanding that each team won’t take cheap shots and such, both teams don’t want to lose players going into the playoffs. But, who knows.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Isn’t the whole intent of this game to be a tune up game against a real opponent? I think we’d be making a mistake by sitting out stars, but I suppose I understand the mentality. I would hope for some degree of mutual understanding that each team won’t take cheap shots and such, both teams don’t want to lose players going into the playoffs. But, who knows.
I think Green said in a recent interview he has a good idea of the roster already. I’m expecting Green plays the players who will start against Minny.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Completely understood. However there will be a few players who will he’s looking to make the team. They might take it a little more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad