Exhibition: Aug 28 GDT - Slovakia vs. Canada (2-2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

Anyone who saw the whole game (I'm talking to the leafs tv people, everyone else missed the first period because of the Blue Jay getting killed) would care to grade the Players?

rocketlives

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, QC
Canada totally outplayed Slovakia in the 3rd period but could score only one goal.
Mario Lemieux seemed a bit out of shape and didn't look as dominant as in his last World Tournament. Iginla, Lecavalier and Heatly played quite well. Thornton
and St-Louis were easily controlled by the Slovak defense.

All in all a good game but boring at times. I hope the superstars will increase their level of intensity one notch when the real games start next week.

:)

Vic Rattlehead*

rocketlives said:
Canada totally outplayed Slovakia in the 3rd period but could score only one goal.
Mario Lemieux seemed a bit out of shape and didn't look as dominant as in his last World Tournament. Iginla, Lecavalier and Heatly played quite well. Thornton
and St-Louis were easily controlled by the Slovak defense.

All in all a good game but boring at times. I hope the superstars will increase their level of intensity one notch when the real games start next week.

:)
Question: who do you think should be in the pressbox?

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Man, Bowen sure butchered St-Louis' name. For those who don't speak french, he was pretty much pronouncing it Sans-lui, which roughly translates to "Without him."

Pretty good game for Canada. Would have liked to have won, but the two periods I saw were pretty solid except some of the forwards tend to make boneheaded passes to nobody at the point.

Lecavalier should be on the team. Maltby... Not so much. Give me Smyth or Morrow.

And finally, 19bruins19, I'm biting your avatar for the remainder of the tourney ;)

Vic Rattlehead*

The Albino said:
Man, Bowen sure butchered St-Louis' name. For those who don't speak french, he was pretty much pronouncing it Sans-lui, which roughly translates to "Without him."

Pretty good game for Canada. Would have liked to have won, but the two periods I saw were pretty solid except some of the forwards tend to make boneheaded passes to nobody at the point.

Lecavalier should be on the team. Maltby... Not so much. Give me Smyth or Morrow.

And finally, 19bruins19, I'm biting your avatar for the remainder of the tourney ;)
Everyone should, it's the World cup of Hockey! :yo:

rulin

Jan 30, 2004
19bruins19 said:
That was the line that gave us the game tying goal, but I can see Quinn trying to keep Iginla with Sakic and Lemieux.
Yes. I meant it would be awesome seeing the line in the actual tournament.

These exhibition games didn't really give Canada enough time to set their lines like everyone thought it would. The experimenting seems to be neverending.
I just know I don't want to see Jovo in, unless he smartens up, and Maltby seems to be useless. And I would really like to see Bouwmeester in.

There was too much passing (sometimes to no-one in particular) by the Canadian forwards, and when they finally decided to shoot, they would sometimes pause before. They lacked the finishing touch and emotion. The defense was making many lazy plays and errors (not so much in the third, though).

Canada must play way better, to the level they are capable of playing, once the tournament begins. They need to bring more emotion and bring up the intensity level.

One question is, who should be the backup goalie?

One more exhibition game - one more day - then the actual tournament begins. Can't wait!

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
I can't belive all of you got this game. Or any Exhibition game for that matter. Living in America sure can suck sometimes.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Jean_Jacket41 said:
So you have been wrong one time and tonight will be the second time...
You shouldn't be to much happy with your 0.333 pct... :teach:

I was right again!

I just predicted the wrong score. 3-3 instead of 2-2. :teach:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Sorry, but even my habs fan brother said Iginla score that goal. Also, I am happy Joe is playing well because he had been a stinker before this game.

GAME OVER: 2-2 tie.
Dude, you should have listened to me.

bling

Jun 23, 2004
wilka91 said:
Dude, you should have listened to me.

Haha, I thought of your prediction when the score ended in a tie. So you were right 66.66% of the time... :lol

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
nazzy said:
I was surprised with how well Bouwmeester played. He jumped in a few times, didn't get caught and used his great skating to get back. He also made a few smart plays in the defensive end and negated some scoring chances, I hope he sees at least a couple of games in the tourney because he deserves it.

Sweet, I'm glad to hear Bouw is doing a good job holding his own. :yo:

PapaBear*

I noticed Foote was paired with Brewer on the right side during the slovaks game. I think that is a good pairing. Also Redden with Jovo is a very good pairing too, Redden can cover for Jovos miscues. Niedermayer-Reghr not too much to worry about there.

Also is Fat Quinn going to roll 4 lines evenly with 3 pairings evenly?

I would like to see this.

Lemieux-Sakic-Iginla - this line has too much potential just need time.

Smyth-Richards-StLouis - I think Richards and StLouis need a mucker on the line to dig pucks out and add some grit and size to the line. I really think you NEED to play Smitty, he excels in these conditions.

LeCavalier-Thornton-Heatley - all 3 seem to have amazing chemistry and thats whats most important, Im sure Vinny can play wing. This could move up as our 2nd line.

Gagne-Draper-Doan - good checking and grinding line. Gagne adds more speed and versatility to the line. Speed, grit and size.

Scratch - Maltby hes stunk so far, Morrow and Marleau.

On D, I would play our top 4 more often giving them a more feel of each game. Move Redden and Jovo up to the 2nd pairing.

Niedermayer-Foote (would be our most dependable pairing logging most ice)
Redden-Jovo
Brewer-Reghr

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I just finnished watching the game. I recorded it because I had to work, damn was I ever tempted to FF to the end or come down here to find out the final. That was a great game played outstanding by both teams.

If the 2001 World Championships or their performance at last years World Championships wasn't enough, this game definitely made me earn respect toward Slovakia as a true hockey nation.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Slovakia rules.

My new prediction for the NA Group is :

1. USA
2. Slovakia
3. Canada
4. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events