Exhibition: Aug 23 GDT - Canada vs. USA (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Jovo & Brewer are horrible together. They should pair Jovo with somebody else and give Brewer a spot in the pressbox. Its time he stops living off the '02 Olympics.

Niedermayer - Regehr
Redden - Foote
Jovanovski - Hannan
----------------
Brewer - Bouwmeester

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Chaos said:
Yes I know....cant have anyone going against the perception that Brodeur is just the best at everything :shakehead ...tell me, when was the last time Turco misplayed a puck from center ice, directing it straight into his own net?

...and when was the last time Brodeur got suspended for sticking someone in the face ?? Especially late in the season. :shakehead

Brodeur >>>>>>>> Turco
Luongo >>>>>> Turco
Theodore >>> Turco

Dar

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
Posted my thoughts over on the Leaf board :

Luongo certainly didn't play to the level of Brodeur, but I wouldn't blame him for the loss. The first shot that went in was one of those sneaky between the leg backhand through a crowd and into the five hole shots. Totally unexpected, the rest were just damn good shots.

Basically Canada outplayed The US in the first period, they came out flying, playing a great contact game and using their larger frames to dominate the smaller US team, Canada goes up 1-0 off a wicked little wrister from Heatley on the PP.

Then they got into some penalty trouble (Maltby, Sakic, Draper, those goons :shakehead) which threw the momentum in favour of the US. From then on, it was me vs. the USA and not Canada vs. USA. Too many players trying to do it all on their on, from Sakic's attempted wrap around, to Heatley trying to dipsy doodle Leetch instead of realizing there are two other forwards out there. Iginla, Draper, Maltby and to a lesser degree Thornton seemed to play a team game, but the rest were there to showboat.

Team Canada > Team USA
Canada's Players > US players
Team USA > Canada's Players.

On a positive note for Leaf fans, I'd say that Leetch was the star of the game, with two assists, creating many chances and some brilliant defensive play.

edit. woah, talk about copy and pasting problems.

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

So the best line last night for Canada was Marleau-Thornton-Heatley? I couldn't really tell because I was listening to it on the radio, but it sounded like they made a lot of scoring chances.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
So the best line last night for Canada was Marleau-Thornton-Heatley? I couldn't really tell because I was listening to it on the radio, but it sounded like they made a lot of scoring chances.

Yeah they were probably the best line. But honestly I didn't even notice Marleau all that much.

It was mostly Thornton and Heatley. I love those guys. Thornton could be the best center in the world. And as much as people talk about Heatley, I think he's underrated!

Keep that line together.

(Sakic was creating a lot of chances too)

Ned Flanders

Aug 4, 2004
Thornton is the third best centre on the team, maybe even the fourth.

Keep Sakic, Iginla and Gagne together. Their is strong chemistry there.

Lemieux, St.Louis and Richards is without a doubt the best line in the tournament. We all know the Lightning players have strong chemistry. As for Mario, he can fit in perfectly with anyone.

Thornton, and Heatley were a very strong combination. I'd keep Marleau with them, or move LeCavalier up to the line.

I don't think Maltby should be dressed. Canada has Draper and Doan for penalty killing.

I'd go with this group once the tournament starts.

Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Lemieux - Richards - St.Louis
LeCavalier - Thornton - Heatley
Marleau - Draper - Doan

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Garfield said:
...and when was the last time Brodeur got suspended for sticking someone in the face ?? Especially late in the season. :shakehead

Brodeur >>>>>>>> Turco
Luongo >>>>>> Turco
Theodore >>> Turco

That has absolutely nothing to do with stickhandling, which is what were talking about here...but thanks for going off-topic. I'll give you Brodeur>Turco, but Luongo has yet to even get in the playoffs(dont give me the Panthers are **** argument) and Turco has put up better numbers than Theodore since he became a starter...but of course that doesnt seem to mean anythinghere, since both Luongo and Theodore are younger than Turco, and as we know, here on HF, everyone is obsessed with youth.

Last edited:

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Chaos said:
That has absolutely nothing to do with stickhandling, which is what were talking about here...but thanks for going off-topic. I'll give you Brodeur>Turco, but Luongo has yet to even get in the playoffs(dont give me the Panthers are **** argument) and Turco has put up better numbers than Theodore since he became a starter...but of course that doesnt seem to mean anythinghere, since both Luongo and Theodore are younger than Turco, and as we know, here on HF, everyone is obsessed with youth.

Turco is one year older than Theodore. I doubt that's the reason many like Theodore over Turco. Could it be the Hart and Vezina? The two first round upsets? The fact that in the playoffs, Turco's amazing S% stats drop to .900?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
The Albino said:
Turco is one year older than Theodore. I doubt that's the reason many like Theodore over Turco. Could it be the Hart and Vezina? The two first round upsets? The fact that in the playoffs, Turco's amazing S% stats drop to .900?

I dont know how many times I've said this, but some peopel must not get it...in 2003, he ran into Giguere, giving up the same number of goals in that series. Last year, he was hung out to dry by a defense that played like they belonged in the ECHL....outside of 1, or MAYBE 2 goals, he had absolutely no chance when getting scored on. And Turco himself should have a Vezina, if it weren't for Brodeur's reputation winning it the past 2 seasons.

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

Chaos said:
I dont know how many times I've said this, but some peopel must not get it...in 2003, he ran into Giguere, giving up the same number of goals in that series. Last year, he was hung out to dry by a defense that played like they belonged in the ECHL....outside of 1, or MAYBE 2 goals, he had absolutely no chance when getting scored on. And Turco himself should have a Vezina, if it weren't for Brodeur's reputation winning it the past 2 seasons.
So Klemm, Zubov, Boucher, Matvichuk, and Teppo played that bad?

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
19bruins19 said:
So Klemm, Zubov, Boucher, Matvichuk, and Teppo played that bad?

Well it was actually Suckeras(Sekeras, there's a reason we call him that) and Therien in place of Teppo, but yes, they played that bad defensively. Not to mention the defense kicked 2 of the goals past Turco(passes of their skates). Forsberg, Sakic, Hejduk, etc. had all kinds of time around the net the whole series.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Garfield said:

Brodeur >>>>>>>> Turco
Luongo >>>>>> Turco
Theodore >>> Turco

Well, whether you think all 3 are better than Turco or not (and they very well may be) all that matters is that he's good enough to win the games at this level. Turco is certainly good enough to win the Cup and this tournament. Once you get to this point it becomes less about the goalies and then more about the players, the refs and the bounces (that stinks that the refs are a factor.... ashholes).

Decimus

Aug 23, 2004
Liquidrage said:
Thanks for the apologetics but in actually the Devils outplayed the Flyers, outshot the Flyers and outchanced the Flyers. The many softies that Brodeur let in had nothing to do with the big Flyers forwards.

You clearly didn't watch the series. Go back and read some of the game threads from Devils fans. They still exist. Saying he was one of the best players in the series is absurd. No arguing. He wasn't one of the best, he was bad.

And my point is not to bash Brodeur. It's to bash people trying to use 30 minutes of a exhibtion game for a backbone of a >>> arguement. That is worse then even how Brodeur played last year.

Liquidrage, I hope you realize that not every Devils fan is the "Marty is absolutely flawless" type. I respected Esche's performance in that series and his postseason run in general, and you should be able to say the same about Brodeur and past Cup runs.

However, don't forget that to many of us, Marty was (and still IS) incredibly underrated as he lived in the shadows of Roy and Hasek for at least a decade. The general respect for him finally started pouring out in 2002 and 2003, so you shouldn't fault some for beginning to praise him now.

It does piss me off when fans of other teams say that he's the only reason why our team is successful, though, as we have players literally busting their faces to win games in the playoffs.

But I will speak on behalf of many when I say that when Martin IS "on top of his game", he has the most incredible focus of any goaltender perhaps ever seen.

Remember, this is the same guy who reached the 400-win mark faster than anyone in NHL history (and has around ~85 more wins than even Roy at the same point of his career) and remains a threat to shatter almost every goaltending record that ever mattered, "system" or not.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
i think what happened was, when Luongo replaced Brodeur, Canada felt they should make him feel more at home. they decided to sit back and let him get shelled, while making no attept to score a goal.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
LaVal575 said:
i think what happened was, when Luongo replaced Brodeur, Canada felt they should make him feel more at home. they decided to sit back and let him get shelled, while making no attept to score a goal.

They probably gave Luongo a message, "Welcome back to the international stage kid."

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Leaf Army said:
Yeah they were probably the best line. But honestly I didn't even notice Marleau all that much.

It was mostly Thornton and Heatley. I love those guys. Thornton could be the best center in the world. And as much as people talk about Heatley, I think he's underrated!

Keep that line together.

(Sakic was creating a lot of chances too)

I would say that they were the best line and it really isnt to much of a surpris you didnt hear marleau's name all that much. First off it probably wasnt his best game, but he wasnt the only way.

Anyways, Marleau is not really a puck posession guy. He is a finisher, but from what I heard, it sounded like he was using his speed well, which is the biggest weapon in his attack

If all else fails for Canada, and im sure it wont how about these lines

Heatly-Thornton-Iginla
Richards-Mario (first name basis lol)-St. Luis
Marleau-Sakic-Lavacalier
Gagne-Smyth-Doan

Ontario Habsfan

Mar 29, 2004
I think we are being much to hard on Luongo. The 1st goal he gave up was soft but it was his 1st shot and coming in off the bench like that is real tough. Did you see the puck "pinball" its way to Luongo? That's tough when you come in cold. The Rolston goal was a laser, through traffic into the top corner. The final goal was Leopold all alone in the slot. Can't blame Luongo there.

Brodeur did make a nice save on a shot from the slot area, but I can't remember who it was against.

I imagine Luongo will start the next game and Theo will close it out. he 3rd game wil be started by Theo and closed out with Brodeur. Give each goalie a start.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Ontario Habsfan said:
I think we are being much to hard on Luongo. The 1st goal he gave up was soft but it was his 1st shot and coming in off the bench like that is real tough. Did you see the puck "pinball" its way to Luongo? That's tough when you come in cold. The Rolston goal was a laser, through traffic into the top corner. The final goal was Leopold all alone in the slot. Can't blame Luongo there.

Brodeur did make a nice save on a shot from the slot area, but I can't remember who it was against.

I imagine Luongo will start the next game and Theo will close it out. he 3rd game wil be started by Theo and closed out with Brodeur. Give each goalie a start.

Actually I believe Broudeur will start and Theodore will come in like wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad