Exhibition: Aug 23 GDT - Canada vs. USA (1-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Rob said:
I just saw the highlites and Luongo did let in two soft ones. I think Bordeur is a lock for the #1 spot. Now the battle will be for who is backup. Theo may surprise.

I was disappointed that there weren't any fights. Come on its an exhibition game! Oh well, we all have Wednesday.

Where did you see the highlights? I've been looking for an internet link and haven't found anything.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Where did you see the highlights? I've been looking for an internet link and haven't found anything.

God I hope Maltby and Draper dont play in this tournament.

I would hate having a player like Marleau, Smyth, or maybe even Lacavalier be left off and have to watch these guys

Just looks at their combined plus minus

I listend to the game and itt sounded like the Marleau-Thornton-Heatly line was one of their more effective lines

Oh and did anyone listen to the post game show on the Canadian broadcast?

This one dork from BC calls and starts complaining about how Bertuzzi isnt on the team
anyways he goes on saying the following

-Burtuzzi could have scored 60 goals this year
-He had more points then Iginla this year playing less games
-He is the best player in the world
-Jerome Iginla cant carry a team like bertuzzi

What a Pejorative Slur

not to mention it almost sounded like he was about start crying half way through the phone call

joe_shannon_1983*

sharkyz15 said:
Oh and did anyone listen to the post game show on the Canadian broadcast?

This one dork from BC calls and starts complaining about how Bertuzzi isnt on the team
anyways he goes on saying the following

-Burtuzzi could have scored 60 goals this year
-He had more points then Iginla this year playing less games
-He is the best player in the world
-Jerome Iginla cant carry a team like bertuzzi

What a Pejorative Slur

not to mention it almost sounded like he was about start crying half way through the phone call

Well since it sounds like this guy was acting over-fanatical and quoting false information, it would definitely lead one to believe that he is a Pejorative Slur.

But he does have one very valid point: Bertuzzi should have been taken. It was simply politics why he was not choosen. Team Canada did not want to put the NHL into a uncomfortable position, and thus they opted not to pick him.

Saying that, there is still no way that one does not pick him, especially if you are serious about winning this tournament. Chara is the only defenseman on any other team that would be able to consistently handle him once he parked himself in front of the net.

Bertuzzi should have been choosen, and either Maltby or Morrow should have been left off. You do not need both Morrow and Maltby, as they both will get limited icetime and do very similar jobs. Taking two 4th-line/press-box players who play the exact same way is wasting one roster spot that could have been used for a dominating/difference-making player such as Bertuzzi.

Kariya should have been taken as well, with Gagne being left off. In every aspect/skill that makes a hockey player, Kariya equals Gagne, at the very least. And at the very most, Kariya clearly surpasses him in many aspects/skills. Kariya could have played any role that they would have assigned to Gagne, while offering a much higher offensive upside.

But anyways, those are just my opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Samkow said:
Tkachuck and Foote almost went at it at the end.

Smolinski and Blake were looking to fight for USA

ditto for Maltby and Morrow for Canada...
Maltby looking to fight. No , no he wasn't because he doesn't. If this man plays any more than a bit part on this team i want an investigation. It is nice to recognize him for his efforts at the Worlds but he is not worthy of a spot over Morrow or Smyth . He should consider himself lucky to ever be named to a team like this. It reminds me of the Zamuner selection in 98.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
DerekJeter2 said:
Well since it sounds like this guy was acting over-fanatical and quoting false information, it would definitely lead one to believe that he is a Pejorative Slur.

But he does have one very valid point: Bertuzzi should have been taken. It was simply politics why he was not choosen. Team Canada did not want to put the NHL into a uncomfortable position, and thus they opted not to pick him.

Saying that, there is still no way that one does not pick him, especially if you are serious about winning this tournament. Chara is the only defenseman on any other team that would be able to consistently handle him once he parked himself in front of the net.

Bertuzzi should have been choosen, and either Maltby or Morrow should have been left off. You do not need both Morrow and Maltby, as they both will get limited icetime and do very similar jobs. Taking two 4th-line/press-box players who play the exact same way is wasting one roster spot that could have been used for a dominating/difference-making player such as Bertuzzi.

Kariya should have been taken as well, with Gagne being left off. In every aspect/skill that makes a hockey player, Kariya equals Gagne, at the very least. And at the very most, Kariya clearly surpasses him in many aspects/skills. Kariya could have played any role that they would have assigned to Gagne, while offering a much higher offensive upside.

But anyways, those are just my opinions.

Well Gagne sertantly should not have made the team because of hes play, and i guess niether should have Kariya

I think Tanguay should have been picked ahead of both of them

joe_shannon_1983*

sharkyz15 said:
Well Gagne sertantly should not have made the team because of hes play, and i guess niether should have Kariya

I think Tanguay should have been picked ahead of both of them

Well, I would have taken Tanguay before Gagne too.

But Kariya only had one bad season. And it was a season where he was injured most of it, with injured wrists and ankles no less. Do you have any idea how much a wrist or ankle injury affects a player of Kariya's style, whose game is based on foot-speed and stickhandling/playmaking? This is not even considering the fact that he came back too early from all injuries, and was thus inneffective, which brought down his PPG even more.

Bottom line though, he is a proven player has achieved a PPG 75% of the time during his career, with some years way above a PPG. He has the type of track record which would make him a safe bet to play at a reasonably elite-calibre level in a tournament such as this.

He had the whole summer to heal his injuries. One would have good reason to think that he would have shown up to the Team Canada training camp ready to play at his usual and standard PPG pace, especially if you give him a line-mate such as Lemieux. Lemieux and Kariya were magic together in the 2002 Olympic Games.

I just think that it was a mistake not to include a player such as Kariya, a player who would have the potential/ability to lead a short tournament such as this in scoring.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
DerekJeter2 said:
Well, I would have taken Tanguay before Gagne too.

But Kariya only had one bad season. And it was a season where he was injured most of it, with injured wrists and ankles no less. Do you have any idea how much a wrist or ankle injury affects a player of Kariya's style, whose game is based on foot-speed and stickhandling/playmaking? This is not even considering the fact that he came back too early from all injuries, and was thus inneffective, which brought down his PPG even more.

Bottom line though, he is a proven player has achieved a PPG 75% of the time during his career, with some years way above a PPG. He has the type of track record which would make him a safe bet to play at a reasonably elite-calibre level in a tournament such as this.

He had the whole summer to heal his injuries. One would have good reason to think that he would have shown up to the Team Canada training camp ready to play at his usual and standard PPG pace, especially if you give him a line-mate such as Lemieux. Lemieux and Kariya were magic together in the 2002 Olympic Games.

I just think that it was a mistake not to include a player such as Kariya, a player who would have the potential/ability to lead a short tournament such as this in scoring.
Kariya should be here , i am with you. He can raise his game playing with great players. Maltby is Maltby and the more i think of having to see him on the ice the more angry i become. We have plenty of players that can play two ways he was unnecessary.

ZadorovNJD*

<--

Too bad Quinn doesn't have the Leafs goalie this time around so he might be forced to actually start the best goalie.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Honestly who cares who won, it's an exhibition game...My US fans are acting a bit ridiculous, and I understand the Canadians Fans gripes, but after reading everyone think that Canada would pound the US I find it nice to my boys win...But if Canada won you know some would be acting like they just won the WC..Everyone needs to relax

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Bertuzzi can watch the games on TV, and Nuckfans can quit whining about his exclusion. His first game back after disgracing the sport should not be in the sport's showcase event. He can work his way back to respectability during the NHL's regular season, but I don't want to see him wearing the country's colours until he can prove that he can finish a full season without doing something Pejorative Slured.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
oilers_guy_eddie said:
Bertuzzi can watch the games on TV, and Nuckfans can quit whining about his exclusion. His first game back after disgracing the sport should not be in the sport's showcase event. He can work his way back to respectability during the NHL's regular season, but I don't want to see him wearing the country's colours until he can prove that he can finish a full season without doing something Pejorative Slured.
eh....
i agree with you only about how he shouldnt play in this tournament, but for different reasons. he is easily good enough to be on team canada, but he would create to much media attention. i wont comment on the rest of your post, as it would just be from a bertuzzi fan's pov.

cstu

May 6, 2004
The so-called checking line combines for -8 on the night. :mad:

I always hated the idea of a checking line on this team. I mean, it's not like the other teams have only 1 or 2 good scoring lines that they will be matched up against. EVERY line is a threat to score in this tournament, and I would've rather seen solid defensive players with some offensive ability such as Primeau and Peca there instead of Maltby, etc. It's just a waste.

nazzy

Mar 6, 2002
BC
www.gocanucks.net
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Oh Special Ed.
Oh Special Ed is right!

Looks like he really struggled today, judging by those stats and clips of him in the highlights.

These two days couldn't of gone very well for him.. he was indeed the player who collided with Lemieux which resulted in his fall.

Hopefully he can pick it up soon.

SChan*

It's funny because you know the Canadians would gloat and laugh if they had won. GG USA!

golfmade

Go Preds Go
Dec 30, 2002
Idahoan in Taiwan
jericholic19 said:
team USA won't even show up. if they do, they'll confuse their canes as sticks. :) canada will romp them. man, i love cheering for an overwhelming favorite. you can talk so much smack.

Ouch.

Anyways, I fuggin hate my work has blocked internet access, now I can't listen to any hockey :cry:

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I'll say one thing as an Albertan but a fan of the U.S. team.......Canadians have absolutely no right ever to complain about bad sportsmanship from Americans.......Canadians prove every time they are just as whiny and sucky as any fans on earth........just look at the whining on this thread.....

Anyways, with that being said, I wouldn't get to worked up about it........Even though I like the U.S. team, I cannot see them beating the Canucks when it matters......and I say that only because of the age on the American squad.......Canada really has tonnes of fine youth mixed with vets but where we beat America and everyone else is in our depth......no one can touch us there!

Not too say America might not win the Tourney......but I really doubt it.......I still think the Swedes will offer us our hardest fight and one has to admit that the Slovaks at least on Paper look pretty good......

Should be a great tourney and lets hope decent sportsmanship from all sides is practiced......

Liquidrage*

DudeCar said:
Brodeur was the reason why the Devils did not look as bad as the Stars against the Avs. He was one the the best players on the ice for the Devils in that series, and it is not his fault if the big forwards of Philly can plow over Martin and Nieds.

Thanks for the apologetics but in actually the Devils outplayed the Flyers, outshot the Flyers and outchanced the Flyers. The many softies that Brodeur let in had nothing to do with the big Flyers forwards.

You clearly didn't watch the series. Go back and read some of the game threads from Devils fans. They still exist. Saying he was one of the best players in the series is absurd. No arguing. He wasn't one of the best, he was bad.

And my point is not to bash Brodeur. It's to bash people trying to use 30 minutes of a exhibtion game for a backbone of a >>> arguement. That is worse then even how Brodeur played last year.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Nazzy-19 said:
Turco's not bad. But IMO nobody comes close to Brodeur

Watch some of the stuff Turco pulls off. I bet you wont see Brodeur pull off a behind the back pass in his own crease...he doesnt have the balls to do it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Chaos said:
Watch some of the stuff Turco pulls off. I bet you wont see Brodeur pull off a behind the back pass in his own crease...he doesnt have the balls to do it.
Nah, unlike Turco, Brodeur has brains with those balls.

Vic Rattlehead*

dem said:
Holy crap... 22 pages for an exhibition game?? :amazed:
Yeah, I and I think there was over 100 people reading this thread last night.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
JasonMacIsaac said:
Nah, unlike Turco, Brodeur has brains with those balls.

Yes I know....cant have anyone going against the perception that Brodeur is just the best at everything :shakehead ...tell me, when was the last time Turco misplayed a puck from center ice, directing it straight into his own net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce