GDT: Exhibition • Dec. 20 • Finland 3, Canada 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
You're twisting and turning things but it doesn't change anything really.

Didn't mean to twist and turn things. I'm not really debating the importance of winning the faceoff, however players get credit for a face off won even when there is no possession. I love the face off wins at center ice after the other team scores.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I like Murphy, but geez, the guy will NEVER make the easy play. He tries to do way too much himself. I know that he can go end to end and weave through players better then anyone on the team, but he literally tries it every single time he touches the puck, which lead to numerous turnovers today. Not sure why he was named Canada's best player, maybe Spott trying to boost his confidence?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Faceoffs are something RNH has to work on but he was one of the best players for Canada, so who cares? If Rattie didn't whiff on so many passes, Canada would have probably won this. I'm not trying to single out Rattie, in particular, but no one really created much offense besides Hudon, RNH, and Scheifele.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I like Murphy, but geez, the guy will NEVER make the easy play. He tries to do way too much himself. I know that he can go end to end and weave through players better then anyone on the team, but he literally tries it every single time he touches the puck, which lead to numerous turnovers today. Not sure why he was named Canada's best player, maybe Spott trying to boost his confidence?

or just because he's Spott's player on the team and he's trying to solidify his spot in the Top-6.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Didn't mean to twist and turn things. I'm not really debating the importance of winning the faceoff, however players get credit for a face off won even when there is no possession. I love the face off wins at center ice after the other team scores.

How many neutral ice faceoffs are there in a normal game compared to the ones that are from attack/defense zones? And even from the center ice faceoff the winning team gets the possession of the puck which is essential thing if you wanna score, isn't it?

Winning faceoffs = good, losing faceoffs = bad. It's just that simple.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
How many neutral ice faceoffs are there in a normal game compared to the ones that are from attack/defense zones? And even from the center ice faceoff the winning team gets the possession of the puck which is essential thing if you wanna score, isn't it?

Winning faceoffs = good, losing faceoffs = bad. It's just that simple.

Some teams clog up the neutral zone or hold the blueline better than other teams, and prefer to make them dump the puck in and try to come get it. If they lose a faceoff, they still have that to fall back on, and the net result is still gaining possession. It's just that simple, too.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Invalid. Subban plays on international ice in Belleville. Looks like he'll just be another Allen/Visentin/Roy/Wedgewood.

Oh really? I didn't know that! Either way, defenders have the same adjustment to make. I'm not too worried, I have a lot more confidence in Subban then Visentin or Roy.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
So frustrating when amateur officials take control of games like they did today. I don't understand what happened with that Hudon non-goal.

How isn't that at least a penalty shot?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I only watched the first two periods, but RNH set up Rattie and Scheifele so many times and they couldn't convert, especially Rattie. That will need to be figured out because this game could've easily been 6-3 Canada.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only people who like Murphy are those who are impressed by his "moves". Other than that he is a virtually ineffective and stupid hockey player.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
I heard that Maatta had a great game on the blueline for Finland. Would anybody be able to provide any feedback on his performance?

Maatta was one of the best defenseman on the ice this game imo. Great poise on the PP and was fantastic defensively as well.

As for Murphy, It seemed like he was trying to make the tough plays all night and ended up coughing up the puck quite regularly. If he can start picking his spots better, he is going to have a good tournament.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
These GDT's imo really shouldn't include the game's final score in the title which is stickied. It spoils it even for someone not opening the thread and planning to watch the game later.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
The only people who like Murphy are those who are impressed by his "moves". Other than that he is a virtually ineffective and stupid hockey player.

He isn't very strong on defense no matter what his number one fan on here will tell you. He was getting out muscled by lots of Finns today. I wish he would mix it up a little more on offense. He is a fantastic skater and can fly up while carrying the puck. He's also a tremendous passer when he decides to do it. However, he holds the puck way too long and tries to beat one more guy than necessary at times. Not sure why he was named player of the game, not that anyone was great.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The results are often the same.

Yet not dependent on the center alone. I can understand an argument on how it could be a bit of a misleading stat.

You can lose a face-off. You can lose a face off bad. You can draw and have your teammate lose it in the ensuing battle.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
What facts do you need? Just watch the game, Murphy was awful and a liability whenever he touched the puck. His decision-making was horrendous.

Yeah sure he was. The coaches wanted to make fun of Murphy so they sent their worst player up for player of the game to embarrass him.

Pretty sure I'm going to have to use sarcasm to deal with people like this now

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
What's with the hate for Murphy? He was one of the better defensemen for Canada out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad