Examining the Defence for next season

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think Kaut is the only sure fire guy of the group to be a regular. LOC perhaps will be but who knows maybe the Avs decide to get someone in the summer after Nieto goes. I don't think we see Timmins and Byram as regulars next season. Season after both guys should be ripe.

I don’t know, I think Byram would have to really disappoint in camp to be sent down to junior for another year.

In my mind, Timmins is pretty close to NHL ready, the only thing that might hold him back is Bednar not wanting to have two rookie D on the team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Graves certainly won't be traded... meshed with Makar, will be fairly cheap to keep around, and won't block Byram from time. Cole has one season left on his contract and is a trusted member of the defensive core by Bednar... plus plays both sides of the ice as well as he can. He a great mentor for Byram next season, and Timmins the following season (or both this next season if injuries hit).

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Graves certainly won't be traded... meshed with Makar, will be fairly cheap to keep around, and won't block Byram from time. Cole has one season left on his contract and is a trusted member of the defensive core by Bednar... plus plays both sides of the ice as well as he can. He a great mentor for Byram next season, and Timmins the following season (or both this next season if injuries hit).
Are you implying that Cole is resigned?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don’t know, I think Byram would have to really disappoint in camp to be sent down to junior for another year.

In my mind, Timmins is pretty close to NHL ready, the only thing that might hold him back is Bednar not wanting to have two rookie D on the team.
Cant Byram go to the AHL if hes not completely ready? I would love for Byram to win a job out of camp next year but I have my doubts and to your point Timmins might be closer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd be shocked if Cole is re-signed. He had a very up and down season this year, and it's not clear that he's better after his hip surgeries.

He'll be 32/33 if they re-sign him and there just won't be any room for him in a healthy lineup.

They'll be pretty up against the cap by the time his deal expires, so it's unlikely they'll meet his asking price to play him as a #7/8, and his history suggests he won't want to be a #7/8 anyway.

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Cant Byram go to the AHL if hes not completely ready? I would love for Byram to win a job out of camp next year but I have my doubts and to your point Timmins might be closer.
No, I dont think he's AHL eligible, according to AJ and Rudo from the DNVR podcasts.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
It's the NHL or back to the Giants for Byrum. And then you also have Timmins who's ready to make the jump. Avs only lose Barberio. Everyone else is under contract or an RFA. How are they going to to make room?

Sure, you could keep Timmins in the AHL another year, but he made the team out of camp, and the only reason he wasn't kept is cause they didn't feel he'd get enough quality time on the 3rd pairing, so they sent him down so they didn't burn a year off his ELC. I doubt that happens again. So they have to make room.

Who do they trade? EJ. Highly doubt it. They've made it abundantly clear that EJ is a big part of the room, plus he has a NMC that limits their abilty to deal him.

They're not dealing G or Makar. That leaves Z, Cole, and Graves as the odd men out.

Z is as good as gone, as we all know. So out of Cole or Graves, who do you deal? I'd sell high on Graves, and keep Cole. That way you don't over pay Graves, and you get something for him at a potential high point, and you keep a quality vet in Cole, who can help teach the kids for a year, and who's deal is up after next year.

JMO.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Trade Zadorov. Clearly lost the coaches trust.

Send Byram back to juniors. No need to rush a young defender and burn a year on his ELC in a depth role. Let him come up when he has more to offer.

Keep Cole and Graves. Graves should only command around $2m - $2.5m on a 2-3 year contract.

Take a shot at Pietrangelo if he makes it to free agency. Sign some fringe NHL defensemen for depth.

Graves - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Cole - Timmins
UFA

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Is it possible for Byram to play in Europe like Matthews did in Switzerland ?

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Trade Zadorov. Clearly lost the coaches trust.

Send Byram back to juniors. No need to rush a young defender and burn a year on his ELC in a depth role. Let him come up when he has more to offer.

Keep Cole and Graves. Graves should only command around $2m - $2.5m on a 2-3 year contract.

Take a shot at Pietrangelo if he makes it to free agency. Sign some fringe NHL defensemen for depth.

Graves - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Cole - Timmins
UFA
This would make sense if you moved EJ and or Timmons off the roster. I'm not 100% sold on Graves even with his fantastic plus minus season. I know another guy who had a great plus minus year and then wound up to just be Justrin Schultz.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Byram will be playing hockey this summer in the state of Colorado. More likely for the Eagles than the Avs but he’ll be turning pro “this” season.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
It's the NHL or back to the Giants for Byrum. And then you also have Timmins who's ready to make the jump. Avs only lose Barberio. Everyone else is under contract or an RFA. How are they going to to make room?

Sure, you could keep Timmins in the AHL another year, but he made the team out of camp, and the only reason he wasn't kept is cause they didn't feel he'd get enough quality time on the 3rd pairing, so they sent him down so they didn't burn a year off his ELC. I doubt that happens again. So they have to make room.

Who do they trade? EJ. Highly doubt it. They've made it abundantly clear that EJ is a big part of the room, plus he has a NMC that limits their abilty to deal him.

They're not dealing G or Makar. That leaves Z, Cole, and Graves as the odd men out.

Z is as good as gone, as we all know. So out of Cole or Graves, who do you deal? I'd sell high on Graves, and keep Cole. That way you don't over pay Graves, and you get something for him at a potential high point, and you keep a quality vet in Cole, who can help teach the kids for a year, and who's deal is up after next year.

JMO.
I don't think they'll make themselves that thin. I agree with everyone that Z is out if they find the right deal. If not, Sakic will keep him until he does otherwise.

Graves - Makar
G - EJ
Cole - Byram
UFA 7th Dman signed (or Z if not traded)
Timmins in the AHL to start. 1st call-up (over the 7th guy) when injury hit. And if both him and Timmins are so freaking awesome during camp, then Cole will sit and wait for injury. Depth is too important at that position to trade two of them to make room for BOTH Byram and Timmins.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Graves (24) - Makar (21)
Girard (21) - Byram (18)
Zadorov (24) - Johnson (32)
Timmins (21)

Suggestions:
+ Offer Graves $2,500,000 per for 3 years
+ Makar remains on ELC @ $880,833
+ Girard has a cap hit of $5,000,000
+ Byram will be on an ELC @ $925,000
+ Offer Zadorov $4,700,000 per for 3 years ($1,500,000 increase)
+ Johnson has a cap hit of $6,000,000
+ Timmins will be on an ELC @ $925,000
+ Grubauer has a cap hit of $3,333,333
+ Francouz has a cap hit of $2,000,000

TOTAL CAP HIT NEXT YEAR: $26,264,166
TOTAL CAP HIT THIS YEAR: $22,902,499

+ Massive upgrades required by Makar : 2021 - 2022
+ Massive upgrades required by Byram: 2022 - 2023

Remember, the current stat of world affairs means the Cap may reduce substantially. A lot of sports means the players are taking paycuts,
so the value of say Rantanen's contract may be reduced?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Remember, the current stat of world affairs means the Cap may reduce substantially. A lot of sports means the players are taking paycuts,
What? NHL contracts are guaranteed? No contract at all will be reduced?

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Graves (24) - Makar (21)
Girard (21) - Byram (18)
Timmins (21)

Suggestions:

It's a good news if you think (me too)
Girard can play with a younger D and lead the pair, but Girard play with Timmins and Byram can play on the 3rd pair with Jonhson

Graves-Makar
Girard- Timmins
Byram-Johnson
Cole
May be too young for a contender team but it's so fun to dream.

Reactions: avsfan09

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Graves (24) - Makar (21)
Girard (21) - Byram (18)
Timmins (21)

Suggestions:

I still believe either Zadorov (more likely) or Graves are gone. Byram is likely to be a mid-season call-up. Timmins was incredible pre-season to only fall back, but should permanently reach the NHL roster.

Graves - Makar
Girard - EJ
Cole-Timmins

There is no chance salaries would be cut, but the player escrow could increase to prevent the Cap from being reduced.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
It's a good news if you think (me too)
Girard can play with a younger D and lead the pair, but Girard play with Timmins and Byram can play on the 3rd pair with Jonhson

Graves-Makar
Girard- Timmins
Byram-Johnson
Cole
May be too young for a contender team but it's so fun to dream.
This is really a conundrum. I like this setup but It's risky due to age and experience like you say. To me the ideal solution is to find another LD that can work with Makar and Graves is either bait or out 7d or takes Byram’s place if he’s not ready.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Seeing a lot posts saying that Byram won’t be on the team next year.

I’m not saying it’s a guarantee, or anything, but looking back at the last 15 years or so, history says there’s a good chance he’ll make the roster.

Typically, the first defenceman taken in the draft is either in the NHL right away, or spends just one season developing before they get to the NHL.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Girard Makar
Byram EJ
Graves Timmins
Cole

EJ-Graves will take the majority of defensive zone draws which will help shelter Byram and Timmins from both a minutes played perspective and a dzone time perspective. Plus EJ and Graves will be our top PK’ers which will give them more minutes.

I know people will look at this initially and say it’s too early to put Byram in an NHL top 4 role but it’s not a top 4 role. It’s just how he’s listed on his “on the fly” pairings. His overall minutes will be more of a #5D while Timmins plays the minutes of a #6D which is where I believe both should start the season. Doing the pairings this way allow them to play those roles without having to play together on a pairing as two young rookies.

Makar 22-25 mins a game
Girard 20-23 (just slightly less PP time)
EJ/Graves 19-21
Byram 15-19
Timmins 13-17

Zadorov will be traded for picks. We will trade picks and maybe Jost to Columbus (who are without a 2nd and a 3rd this year while only drafting 3 players total last year) for Josh Anderson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad