Examining the Defence for next season

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Watching how the defence comes together is going to be a fascinating follow in the offseason and training camp.

Byram and Timmins are both pushing for spots while, guys like Cole and Zadorov are trying to stay on the team.

Personally, this is what I see happening.

Zadorov is traded at the draft for either a pick, or as part of a package for a forward.

1st pair: Graves - Makar (One would assume that these guys should improve next season and make this top pair even better. I worry a little bit about Graves taking a step back, but I think he’ll be fine. These two have have pretty good chemistry, hopefully it builds next year.)

2nd pair: Girard - Johnson (Girard proved last season that he’s capable of handling big minutes. I’m concerned about EJ, but if Bednar can find a way to limit his minutes, hopefully he can be somewhat effective.)

3rd pair: Byram - Cole (Not ideal to have two Lefty defenceman together, but they’ll have to figure it out. Honestly I’d be shocked if Byram was sent back to junior for a second season. It does him no good for his development. And even as a rookie I think he’ll be an upgrade over Zadorov. Bednar tends to give his bottom pair decent minutes, so I’m not worried about Byram’s development being hurt by playing in this role.)

Dark horse third pair: Byram - Timmins

(If Timmins beats out Cole in camp, then you could go to the Lefty-Righty rookie tandem of Byram-Timmins. I think Timmins most likely starts the year in the AHL, but I don’t think it’s inconceivable that he beats out Cole in camp. Maybe that is too many young players on defence, but I have no worries about Makar and Girard playing 25 minutes a night. They were playing big minutes most of this season.)

I’m really excited to get an extended look at Byram and Timmins in the NHL. We’re getting closer to the having the blue line we’ve wanted for years.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Half way into next season I predict the following d pairings

Byram-Makar
Girard-EJ
Graves-Timmins

One of Cole or Z gone

Reactions: Patagonia

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada

Byram-Makar
Girard-EJ
Graves-Timmins

One of Cole or Z gone
I'd love for Byram to be on the top pair right out of the gate, but I don't think that's reasonable. And we got JB behind the bench that's loves his vets

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'd love for Byram to be on the top pair right out of the gate, but I don't think that's reasonable. And we got JB behind the bench that's loves his vets
That's why I said half way into next season not right out of the gate. Start the season with Byram probably getting 3rd pair or maybe 2nd pair here and there, then slowly move him to top pair

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sucks that we are most likely gonna lose Z, but he still hasn`t taken that next step. It took a guy like Chara quite a while to get it together as well, so there`s always a fear that Z still figures it out.

We are in a bit of a conundrum. We got young guys knocking on the door but the coaching staff probably doesn`t want up to 4 young guys up at one time trying to figure it out.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Byram-Makar
Girard-EJ
Graves-Timmins

One of Cole or Z gone

I think this is about right.

Doubt the season starts with these pairings, but they will eventually transition to this lineup. Zadorov will be moved at the draft. Cole will partner with Girard. EJ grooms Byram to help settle into the NHL and move Cole after Timmins joins mid-season. AVs draft either Schneider/Barron to replace EJ in a few years after his contract ends.

Reactions: the_fan

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I would keep Z since we need some physical presence still

I think Zadorov is likely gone. Byram and Timmins are both pushing for spots and are likely better than Zadorov.

Sadly, Z is not the physical presence he once was. This season, he went games without any open ice hits.

He’s constantly in Bednar’s dog house. It will be better for him and the team if he plays elsewhere.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Sucks that we are most likely gonna lose Z, but he still hasn`t taken that next step. It took a guy like Chara quite a while to get it together as well, so there`s always a fear that Z still figures it out.

We are in a bit of a conundrum. We got young guys knocking on the door but the coaching staff probably doesn`t want up to 4 young guys up at one time trying to figure it out.

If Zads is ever going to hit that potential that we think he has, it won’t be under Bednar.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Unfortunately, Zadorov never seemed to regain the same confidence prior to his facial injury. Bednar for some reason punishes him harder for mistakes than other DMen. Nonetheless, there is little room and his new deal could be too expensive to play 3rd line minutes. Expansion Draft could leave him unprotected. Trade him for some value and keep building the prospect pipeline.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
An interesting topic for discussion no doubt. Zads has got to go for sure imo. He has been awful at times. Cole will probably go at some point as well because if he isn't extended some team will want to rent him for the playoffs. Its too bad the team didn't get into any playoff action this year to see what they had to work with. Maybe I'm speaking too soon but this team if they had the chance would have done well imo.

Reactions: 5280

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m ready to test out a Girard-Makar pairing for more than just a few offensive zone shifts. Girard is the best defenseman on the Avs defensively. Makar is the best offensive defenseman the Avs have maybe ever had. Time to look past their heights and take the training wheels off.

Byram is almost certainly going to be playing with EJ next year anyway. No need to waste Girard away playing with somebody like Cole/Zadorov. Play him on the top pair with Makar. They’re the Avs two best defenseman with a considerable gap between them and whoever is third. Plus their games actually compliment each other. Everyone’s blinded by them as a potential pair because the entire world believes every small defenseman needs to be paired with a big one.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m ready to test out a Girard-Makar pairing for more than just a few offensive zone shifts. Girard is the best defenseman on the Avs defensively. Makar is the best offensive defenseman the Avs have maybe ever had. Time to look past their heights and take the training wheels off.

Byram is almost certainly going to be playing with EJ next year anyway. No need to waste Girard away playing with somebody like Cole/Zadorov. Play him on the top pair with Makar. They’re the Avs two best defenseman with a considerable gap between them and whoever is third. Plus their games actually compliment each other. Everyone’s blinded by them as a potential pair because the entire world believes every small defenseman needs to be paired with a big one.

I agree with pretty much everything here.

I think the main reason Girard and Makar were playing apart this year was because Bednar wanted to have two good defensive pairings that had puck-moving ability.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them together either, but it will be contingent upon how Byram plays. If he’s solid, and shows an ability to help the transition game, then Turn and Burn could be reunited for 25-26 minutes a night.

The X factor in this scenario is how Graves plays when he’s not with Makar, because I didn’t like the way he played when Makar was out.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I agree with pretty much everything here.

I think the main reason Girard and Makar were playing apart this year was because Bednar wanted to have two good defensive pairings that had puck-moving ability.

It wouldn’t mind seeing them together either, but it will be contingent upon how Byram plays. If he’s solid, and shows an ability to help the transition game then, Turn and Burn could be reunited for 25-26 minutes a night.

The X factor in this scenario is how Graves plays when he’s not with Makar, because I didn’t like the way he played when Makar was out.

Honestly, if the Avs are going to play the system they want to, they need to double down on puck movement from the backend. Those games where Makar was out, it really highlighted how poor the rest of the defense could move the puck.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Should be pretty straight forward IMO, but we'll see if Joe and the boys share the same thoughts...

Start of the season:

Graves - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - Cole
???

As the season progresses, depending on how well Byram adjusts and plays his role in the NHL, you start transitioning towards a Byram - Makar top pairing. The good news is if Byram cant handle that transition right away(And really no shame at all if he cant), we know that Graves and Cale work quite well as a pairing and surprisingly Graves actually has looked not out of place in that Top 4 spot all year.

Trade Zadorov at the draft for whatever haul of picks/prospects we can get. Sign a veteran Dman to rotate into the 6/7 spot with Cole. That way we give Connor Timmins more protection to keep developing in the AHL. But I would have him as the #1 callup in the AHL and I would guess by December he gets a fair number of games as EJ/Cole go through regular injuries. Not sure who to target for a #7 Defender. Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Barberio since they know what they have in him... Personally I'd go after someone else.

With Zadorov you could be looking at a 2nd + 3rd type return which could be really good ammunition towards adding a Top 6 forward in trade.

Then in the 2021-22 season, Cole goes away as his deal expires and Timmins comes in to replace him on the 3rd pairing, with the eventual plan being to move him into EJs spot on the 2nd pairing and having EJ slot down into the 3rd pairing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What I'd love to see:

Girard-Makar
Byram-EJ
Cole/Graves-Timmins

What I expect to see:

Graves-Makar
Girard-EJ
Byram-Cole

Not a single doubt in my mind that Z is a goner. Graves came in and solidified his spot and there are clearly two younger LD that are the future. Z will likely be used to recoup some draft picks whenever the draft is held. Cole has another season under his contract, and can play the right side, so I expect him to be the training wheels for Byram.

All this brings in an issue though. You don't want Timmins sitting in the pressbox as the #7D... and you need a #7D. Z is too expensive for that role and so is Cole. Graves and Cole are both really too good for that role as well. Which leaves a significant void. They can sign somebody, but you're not going to get a good player for that role as they will sign to a lesser team to play every night. You could trade, but the Avs don't have a second (maybe a piece of the Z trade). Or MacDonald who is completely unproven in the NHL. Not really any great options there.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I wouldn't mind selling high on Graves this summer. Maybe get a second rounder back.

Girard - Makar
Byram - Johnson
Cole - Timmins

By end of season:

Byram - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Cole - Timmins

Though realistically I see them starting Timmins in the AHL.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
What I'd love to see:

Girard-Makar
Byram-EJ
Cole/Graves-Timmins

What I expect to see:

Graves-Makar
Girard-EJ
Byram-Cole

Not a single doubt in my mind that Z is a goner. Graves came in and solidified his spot and there are clearly two younger LD that are the future. Z will likely be used to recoup some draft picks whenever the draft is held. Cole has another season under his contract, and can play the right side, so I expect him to be the training wheels for Byram.

All this brings in an issue though. You don't want Timmins sitting in the pressbox as the #7D... and you need a #7D. Z is too expensive for that role and so is Cole. Graves and Cole are both really too good for that role as well. Which leaves a significant void. They can sign somebody, but you're not going to get a good player for that role as they will sign to a lesser team to play every night. You could trade, but the Avs don't have a second (maybe a piece of the Z trade). Or MacDonald who is completely unproven in the NHL. Not really any great options there.

We could always bring Barbs back as the #7D. I’d also prefer someone better, but at least Barbs has some NHL experience and would be comfortable eating nachos for long periods of time.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
We're probably entering that status where a veteran Dman chasing a cup would be willing to come here and play 6th-7th Dman at a reasonable salary to get a chance at a cup. Just like Tampa did with Shatty and the other dude (blank...).

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Kind of in line with this topic. How many rookies do you think Sakic and Bednar will be willing to play next season?

There could be as many as four playing next season. Byram, Kaut, Timmins, and LOC could all see significant time with the Avs.

Too many for a team vying for the cup?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kind of in line with this topic. How many rookies do you think Sakic and Bednar will be willing to play next season?

There could be as many as four playing next season. Byram, Kaut, Timmins, and LOC could all see significant time with the Avs.

I'd doubt we'd see all four have every day roles, but I'd say 3 is likely. And 3 isn't too much. Blues had 2, Caps had 3, Pens had 2 and 3 in their years.

Reactions: PAZ

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I think Kaut is the only sure fire guy of the group to be a regular. LOC perhaps will be but who knows maybe the Avs decide to get someone in the summer after Nieto goes. I don't think we see Timmins and Byram as regulars next season. Season after both guys should be ripe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->