Post-Game Talk: [EX6] Canucks defeat Flames | 3-1 (Myers, Blueger, & PDG)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Lesser role he’s more suited for + less intense games in pre season hockey.

I guarantee he’s going to struggle come Wednesday when Edmonton comes out flying

He should be much better this season in a lower leverage role but get exposed when trapped against better competition. Then there will be entire games where he’s inexplicably great and many more where he’s absolute ass.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
With preseason done it seems like the best lines for opening night are:

Beauvillier - Petey - Kuzmenko
PDG - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Suter - Garland
Studnicka/Hoglander - Blueger - Aman
Studnicka/Hoglander

Once Mikheyev is healthy he'll bump Beau to the third line, who will bump Joshua to the 4th, and one of Aman/Studnicka to the AHL. That should hopefully give us 3 lines who can score with the hope that Hog or Podz can find a way to stick.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I thought Studnicka had a pretty strong game as well.......obviously he simply doesn't have the skill to play higher up in the lineup.

But he has above average skating skill, and as long as he uses his speed to get on on a physical forecheck, he probably has a future in a Rick Tocchet-coached team.

And there's a lesson there for some the players languishing in Abbotsford. There's actually a future for fourth line guys who can skate and hit. This thing with Studnicka is, can he keep it up?
With 4th liners, you just rotate them out when they slow down and rotate them back in when the next man up slows down. If he can bring energy for 40+ games and not be a liability in another dozen he's doing a good job in his role.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Lesser role he’s more suited for + less intense games in pre season hockey.

I guarantee he’s going to struggle come Wednesday when Edmonton comes out flying

He should be much better this season in a lower leverage role but get exposed when trapped against better competition. Then there will be entire games where he’s inexplicably great and many more where he’s absolute ass.

Yeah...it was one preseason game. This is what Myers has always been. Often people don't want to admit it when it happens, but he does have intermittent games where he suddenly looks like he's got his head screwed on straight. In which case, he's a big, mobile defenceman who has no issues taking the initiative and playing a game that puts other teams on the back foot.

But then he has a lot more games where he's...not like that.

With 4th liners, you just rotate them out when they slow down and rotate them back in when the next man up slows down. If he can bring energy for 40+ games and not be a liability in another dozen he's doing a good job in his role.

This is a good point that i think is maybe getting overlooked in penciling all these opening night lineups together. The reality is, guys are going to get banged up. But even outside of that...there are benefits to just rotating a few guys through in those sort of bottom-6 roles to keep 'em hungry and fresh.

Can be a real test as a coach, to identify the guys who need to just string together a long consistent string, get into a groove, and feel "safe" to get the most out of them...vs the guys who need to be rotating in and out and kept on a short leash, always hungry and ready to go when they get some minutes. Underappreciated aspect of good coaches, is their ability to read that and manage all their personnel effectively. Bad coaches just try to impose "their philosophy" on everyone universally and end up with guys who are effectively wasted. Good coaches read and run their horses with good feel for who is ready to go.

Reactions: Tables of Stats

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm recording it, plus hitting pause, and watching it during intermissions.
Go freakin Lions!

Anyway...watched the end of this game. Delivered with a classic CFL sort of make up points all over the place and take it to OT finish.

But i don't have a clue who the Lions QB is or what was wrong with their uniforms.

I have actually heard of Collaros. He shows up on sportscenter enough i guess. The Bombers uniforms were also recognizable at least.

But anyway...will probably throw the Thanksgiving day game on in the background at some point, as one does. It's just a league that's pretty hard for me to take seriously these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad