Post-Game Talk: [EX6] Canucks defeat Flames | 3-1 (Myers, Blueger, & PDG)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thats why you don't waive Brisebois or Juulsen before you have to. So Canuck to have the new key acquisition get hurt out of the gate.....Sutter Mikhayev.....Soucy?? see what happens let's hope not.

Liked the speed in the bottom 6. Beauvillier Amen and Sudnicka just closing space down and Suter Blueger looking smart and solid 2 ways. Joshua a load in puck battles

Do not like Garland in the top6. Liked the Miller line. Pettersson and Kuzzy are electric in spurts...thankfully pre season is over

Juulsen is a downgrade on McWard in talent but he's more proven in a role so i get it. Hughes doing 2 laps to hand it off to Juulsen to watch him dump it in the corner was infuriating but he plays hard and gets pucks out i guess.

Cole and Myers have been fantastic together so far. Cole's smarts and steady presence is huge for Myers.

Hughes looks ridiculous. He's just simply on another level....gonna be fun watching him this year.

Not sure i want Hughes and Hronek together other than when we're down or in offensive situations but was an interesting look

Demko is a game changer in form

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
So what does the D look like with Soucy potentially out for a while?

Hughes Juulsen
Cole Hronek
Wolanin Myers?

Missed the game tonight but enjoy reading all the summaries here

Reactions: bh53

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Went to the game and it was a solid win, hopefully soucy isn't too banged up.
Him and the whole defense was really good, even myers. Cole hronek soucy the best aside from Hughes, and PDG blueger were noticeable standouts for forwards.

Demko looks rock solid he's going to have to bring it with two games against Edmonton coming up.

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver

Chart "mostly" matches the eye test this game.

Hughes Juulsen
Cole Hronek
Wolanin Myers?

Can see Brisebois over Wolanin for a quiet/PK game.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Hughes Juulsen
Cole Hronek
Wolanin Myers?

Wouldn’t surprise me if they started:

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Myers
Wolanin-Juulsen/McWard

Reactions: wonton15 and DFAC

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Hughes Juulsen
Cole Hronek
Wolanin Myers?

Yeah. Probably something like this. Not really too different from how it'd look with Soucy healthy. Just with a noticeable downgrade from Soucy to Wolanin. I'd also hope it's more like:

Hughes-XXX?
Cole-Hronek
Wolanin-Myers

in that they need to figure that spot out, whether Soucy is okay or not.

Tonight had me concerned about the idea they might just dump 2 lbs of puck mover into a 1 lbs bag and run Hughes-Hronek together. Hopefully they also saw that it didn't really work to maximize the strength of what either guy can give, but especially for Hronek. It really looks to me like he's going to be at his best when he's the "anchor" of his own second pairing. Which is precisely where he looked good in Detroit.

PDG completely blowing Podkolzin and Hoglander out of the water this preseason has to be the most disappointing and surprising story so far.

It's a fairly bittersweet thing. On the one hand, it's awesome to see a guy like PDG rewarded for his work and finally getting a shot...and absolutely running with it.

But it does really highlight just how much Podz and Hoggy laid and egg through camp and preseason. They had golden opportunities right there...and just neither of them seemed able to get their business in order and seize it.

It's still just so weird to me, to see two young players who have basically been stuck in reverse when it comes to their development here over the last few years. But that's where we're at. Neither of them has shown anything that makes the team better over other options.

PDG is the guy who has shown that he can actually make the team better, by making that JT-Boeser line more effective all around. Weird that he's like 30 years old...but he's always had some of this in him, and he's undeniably the only one really taking hold of the opportunity. So you've gotta go with what's there. :dunno:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
PDG completely blowing Podkolzin and Hoglander out of the water this preseason has to be the most disappointing and surprising story so far.
Bittersweet is a good way to put it. PDG looked like he was slowcooked and ready last preseason but didn’t make it. Love to see him carry it over and get rewarded.

You’ve got to think that Matt Irwin is coming back up? He played 60 games last season. He’s not great but damn we’re paper thin.

Reactions: DFAC

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Just to add to the announce team discourse, Corey Hirsch was brutal, took forever to make a point, and had one of the most awkward moments on air with Shorty, which is equally cringe worthy and impressive that he could get a response like that out of Shorthouse.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yeah. Probably something like this. Not really too different from how it'd look with Soucy healthy. Just with a noticeable downgrade from Soucy to Wolanin. I'd also hope it's more like:

Hughes-XXX?
Cole-Hronek
Wolanin-Myers

in that they need to figure that spot out, whether Soucy is okay or not.

Tonight had me concerned about the idea they might just dump 2 lbs of puck mover into a 1 lbs bag and run Hughes-Hronek together. Hopefully they also saw that it didn't really work to maximize the strength of what either guy can give, but especially for Hronek. It really looks to me like he's going to be at his best when he's the "anchor" of his own second pairing. Which is precisely where he looked good in Detroit.

It's a fairly bittersweet thing. On the one hand, it's awesome to see a guy like PDG rewarded for his work and finally getting a shot...and absolutely running with it.

But it does really highlight just how much Podz and Hoggy laid and egg through camp and preseason. They had golden opportunities right there...and just neither of them seemed able to get their business in order and seize it.

It's still just so weird to me, to see two young players who have basically been stuck in reverse when it comes to their development here over the last few years. But that's where we're at. Neither of them has shown anything that makes the team better over other options.

PDG is the guy who has shown that he can actually make the team better, by making that JT-Boeser line more effective all around. Weird that he's like 30 years old...but he's always had some of this in him, and he's undeniably the only one really taking hold of the opportunity. So you've gotta go with what's there. :dunno:
At some point, the players just arent good enough, by next season both Hog and Pod would be very close to a “completed product” age

Reactions: DFAC

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just to add to the announce team discourse, Corey Hirsch was brutal, took forever to make a point, and had one of the most awkward moments on air with Shorty, which is equally cringe worthy and impressive that he could get a response like that out of Shorthouse.
It feels like we need to find a fresh voice to bring in as I can't see any of the current radio guys fitting as anything more than spot duty.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If Soucy is out long term this team's defense is in trouble because we all know the rest of the defense isn't going to play all 82 either and even when healthy it's not exactly a great group. Hopefully it's just week-to-week.

Hughes McWard
Wolani. Hronek
Cole Myers
Yikes

Reactions: geebaan

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If Soucy is out long term this team's defense is in trouble because we all know the rest of the defense isn't going to play all 82 either and even when healthy it's not exactly a great group. Hopefully it's just week-to-week.

Yikes
Hey, it’s what happen when the three biggest Ds acquisition in the last 9 years were Myers, OEL and Poolman

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

It was honestly incredible. The time he tried to shoehorn his girlfriend's kid in with his own kids was also hilarious.

Hey, it’s what happen when the three biggest Ds acquisition in the last 9 years were Myers, OEL and Poolman

The Nate Schmidt disrespect is real.

It feels like we need to find a fresh voice to bring in as I can't see any of the current radio guys fitting as anything more than spot duty.

Honestly, get a chick in there. I'm not in favor tick-the-checkboxes diversity solutions in general but it'd be nice to mix it up a little.

Reactions: Vector

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It was honestly incredible. The time he tried to shoehorn his girlfriend's kid in with his own kids was also hilarious.

The Nate Schmidt disrespect is real.

Honestly, get a chick in there. I'm not in favor tick-the-checkboxes diversity solutions in general but it'd be nice to mix it up a little.
Schmidt was in and out so fast that …nvm

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Garland is too much of a puck hog to play with JT/EP/Kuz. Don't want him taking so much possession away from our best players. Let him drive a 3rd lines offense.

Yeah. I think this is pretty much what we've seen.

Just staple Garland to Suter. Give them a hustle guy on the other wing like Beauvillier, or Joshua, whatever. Just let Garland's play driving carry Suter's quiet "making the decent play" to create a strange line that can drive possession and score at a borderline Top-6 5v5 level with scrub minutes.

Offset how JT and Boeser are dependent on PP minutes to produce offensively.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Tocchet is a good communicator. He speaks very thoughtfully and honestly. He commands respect naturally. Tocchet is firm but fair, almost like a father figure. I guess that’s why he has a good relationship with Phil Kessel, a guy who has issues with communicating with people.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I was at the game, looked better as the game went on and dominated the 3rd, lots of shots. Unlucky not to score more however two take aways for me
What if Hronek isn’t as good as we hope he is
And
Dakota Joshua is most definitely not as good as we think he is

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was at the game, looked better as the game went on and dominated the 3rd, lots of shots. Unlucky not to score more however two take aways for me
What if Hronek isn’t as good as we hope he is
And
Dakota Joshua is most definitely not as good as we think he is

I think the Hronek thing is pretty well explained by...he just isn't a fit with Hughes. He's better than we think he is, when playing with a guy like Cole who just lets him roam and move the puck. Does the hard work challenging plays defensively and separating man from puck. But Hronek needs a guy like that i think, to really maximize his potential.

As for Joshua...agreed. He was virtually invisible tonight, except when he accidentally ran into somebody an made a hit not entirely on purpose. Aman and Studnicka absolutely outshined him as wingers for Bluegers.

The real question is...if you do that and have Beauvillier with Suter which looked good, and plug Garland in there because he's gotta play somewhere and sucks with Pete/JT...and has looked pretty good with Suter...that's basically your lineup.

Joshua and Hoglander both end on the outside looking in. Not sure how you handle that. Something's gotta give. Joshy probably sticks because they don't have anyone else remotely like him. But you can't just waive Hoglander either.

Reactions: bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad