Post-Game Talk: [EX5] Canucks lose to Kraken | Oct. 4th 7pm | 1-2 (Soucy)

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Agreed - this McWard push is one of the weirdest things I've seen happen since they've been hired. One of the few legitimately weird things, really, other than the ownership-driven Boudreau mess.

As for McWard last night ... yeah. I thought he looked basically the D equivalent of Sasson/Bains in terms of performance, which is not good and not close to NHL level. A few moments of promise, but nothing that remotely merited any sort of consideration for playing next to Quinn Hughes.

Fully agreed. Maybe there's something there LT, but he looks ready for 12 soft minutes at ES. Maybe the plan is to double shift Hughes with Soucy, but asking Soucy to constantly shift from left to right all game (or Hughes from left to right) seems like a recipe for defensive zone breakdowns based on what we've seen at camp.

My hope at this point is that once Mikheyev is back, Hoglander is dealt for a tweener blueliner who is at least ready to play 16-18 minutes. Otherwise, we're looking at a 5 player blueline before injuries inevitably hit. Whenever Ethan Bear is back from injury, he'd look infinitely better in that spot as well if the cap space is there.

Or, you know, we could just stick to what was the perceived plan and play Soucy on the right side, stick Wolanin with Myers, and call it a day. But for whatever reason, that doesn't look like its going to happen.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
With McWard not being ready, if Hronek and Soucy can be a good pair, why not put Cole, who has top 4 experience and has played the right side, with Hughes?

Hughes - Cole
Soucy - Hronek
Wolanin - Myers
Breisbois

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The whole reason why they got Cole was to play with Hughes like Schenn did, when did they suddenly decide this was no longer an option?

I think everyone thought that was the reason but it seems like he, and Soucy, were actually brought in to stabilize the defence as a whole rather than fill a specific spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well that's close to three hours that fans in Abbotsford will never get back......not to be too critical, but that game was as poor a hockey game was you're ever going to find.

This hybrid Canuck lineup looked like it couldn't string two passes together to save its life. Bubble guys who should have been busting their butts in a last-ditch attempt to stave off demotion, were mostly MIA.

Decent efforts from Soucy, Hronek and DeSmith.....but after that, not much to report. It really is a shame the Canuck couldn't have dressed Hughes or Miller for sake of the fans in Abbotsford.

Reactions: DFAC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad