Post-Game Talk: [EX5] Canucks lose to Kraken | Oct. 4th 7pm | 1-2 (Soucy)

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Tough game to really draw much in the way of conclusions because the run of play was just so unstructured and just, like, bad.

Hronek and Soucy were very clearly the established pros on the back end in a game where half the time it was just a bunch of wacky inflatable tube arm guys flailing all over the place on an ice rink. Obviously not a perfect game from either of them, but they just did things with clear intent and efficiency most of the time. Myers didn't try to play goalie, which was nice, but didn't have a great outing and didn't seem very engaged. Wolanin looked the part much of the time. Brisebois was kind of just present. McWard looked like he had to figure out what was going on and how to react to it on the fly instead of just doing, but did show some good vision at times and I'd love to see him after a while playing a serious role in the AHL to help slow the game down a bit.

The forwards were pretty rough overall. Most of them were just kind of there, but didn't really get anything meaningfully done.

Beauvillier skated miles tonight but just didn't really make anything happen - just chasing around at a million miles an hour but rarely able to generate anything with it.

Raty, man, if you put Beauvilier's feet on him. Honestly looks fine when he's skating in arcs, but just absolutely cartoonishly horrible in a straight line. Like looks like one of the kids from the first Mighty Ducks movie or something. Generally alternated between looking super engaged and involved and smart and then just kind of indecisively floating on the periphery. Shitty, scrambly games like this can be really tough for more "detail" type players, though, so maybe that's a factor.

Boeser at least looked like he wanted to be engaged. Kind of a tough game for him and Kuzmenko because they basically had nobody to play with.

Whole game was kind of just a waste of time, really.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Beauvillier skated miles tonight but just didn't really make anything happen - just chasing around at a million miles an hour but rarely able to generate anything with it.

Raty, man, if you put Beauvilier's feet on him. Honestly looks fine when he's skating in arcs, but just absolutely cartoonishly horrible in a straight line. Like looks like one of the kids from the first Mighty Ducks movie or something. Generally alternated between looking super engaged and involved and smart and then just kind of indecisively floating on the periphery. Shitty, scrambly games like this can be really tough for more "detail" type players, though, so maybe that's a factor.

Yeah. The thing with Raty is, he's a really poor skater. He covers for it at times with really smart anticipation of the play. When things are going as planned and expected, he can minimize some of his really lacking footspeed by just playing in big arcs, keeping his moment up and taking efficient routes to a spot. As soon as things break down and start to go even just a tiny little bit off script though, he gets really exposed. Caught flat footed, unable to effectively project himself on the ice. You can almost see that he understands he's not where he needs to be...but just doesn't have the juice to get there. Frankly, i'm not sure he's ever going to get to the point where he's anything more than a call-up depth option because of it. You know he's been working on it and throwing everything he can at the skating issues...but for some guys, it's just not ever there.

Beauvillier definitely looked like he was flying tonight. Partly just by comparison with an overall pretty slow roster, playing slow with lackluster puck movement outside of Hronek as well. But also...didn't really accomplish much with all the ice he covered. Though nobody was really seeming to get much of anything done offensively in this game.

Reactions: Jay26

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah. The thing with Raty is, he's a really poor skater. He covers for it at times with really smart anticipation of the play. When things are going as planned and expected, he can minimize some of his really lacking footspeed by just playing in big arcs, keeping his moment up and taking efficient routes to a spot. As soon as things break down and start to go even just a tiny little bit off script though, he gets really exposed. Caught flat footed, unable to effectively project himself on the ice. You can almost see that he understands he's not where he needs to be...but just doesn't have the juice to get there. Frankly, i'm not sure he's ever going to get to the point where he's anything more than a call-up depth option because of it. You know he's been working on it and throwing everything he can at the skating issues...but for some guys, it's just not ever there.

Yeah, it's tough not to look at a player like Bains - who, granted, is a couple years older - and have an easier time projecting a role for him as an NHLer just because you can have all the savvy smarts and whatnot, but if you can't physically get yourself to the right place when you need to be there then you're going to be a liability.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, it's tough not to look at a player like Bains - who, granted, is a couple years older - and have an easier time projecting a role for him as an NHLer just because you can have all the savvy smarts and whatnot, but if you can't physically get yourself to the right place when you need to be there then you're going to be a liability.

It's frustrating sometimes, that you can't just merge players in some sort of Mad Scientist machine. When you see the potential of a really smart player like Raty...who just doesn't have the legs to do anything with it. Then you see these dumb as rocks players who can zip around doing entirely the wrong thing all the time. But that's hockey. It takes a lot to really have everything at a high enough level to be a useful NHLer, much less an impact player.

It reminds me a bit of the struggle with Gaunce. You could see the smarts...but the skating just never really managed to get there. Improved some of the "long speed" but that acceleration is often one of those things that a guy either just has, or doesn't. Hard to made major inroads with that. It's also just so critical in a game where split seconds are the difference.

I will say...one thing Raty has going for him over Gaunce, is that he is naturally a bit more aggressive and assertive. Gaunce was overwhelmingly conservative at all times and that somewhat compounded his lack of footspeed. Even though it was perhaps partially a bit of a coping mechanism. Raty...you can at least see that he seems to want to impact the play and make aggressive, difference-making plays. Just doesn't have the skating to get it done at this point.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
It's frustrating sometimes, that you can't just merge players in some sort of Mad Scientist machine. When you see the potential of a really smart player like Raty...who just doesn't have the legs to do anything with it. Then you see these dumb as rocks players who can zip around doing entirely the wrong thing all the time. But that's hockey. It takes a lot to really have everything at a high enough level to be a useful NHLer, much less an impact player.

It reminds me a bit of the struggle with Gaunce. You could see the smarts...but the skating just never really managed to get there. Improved some of the "long speed" but that acceleration is often one of those things that a guy either just has, or doesn't. Hard to made major inroads with that. It's also just so critical in a game where split seconds are the difference.

I will say...one thing Raty has going for him over Gaunce, is that he is naturally a bit more aggressive and assertive. Gaunce was overwhelmingly conservative at all times and that somewhat compounded his lack of footspeed. Even though it was perhaps partially a bit of a coping mechanism. Raty...you can at least see that he seems to want to impact the play and make aggressive, difference-making plays. Just doesn't have the skating to get it done at this point.

The thing with Gaunce, though, was that he was just slow. Like, he seemed to just be a case of a guy who didn't have the right construction to be quick even with good mechanics and whatnot.

Watching Raty skate is just kind of bizarre. Like his technique looks at least fine until the moment he starts going in a straight line, and then he looks like he's been on skates for three months. At times it honestly looks like he slows down when he shifts from coasting to putting down power, and it's just so curious as to why.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
- I don’t get the hype on McWard. Easily the worst Canuck D tonight, multiple turnovers, the game is just too fast for him right now and that was not a fast game. Can execute a nice breakout with time and space but under pressure in his zone everything gets frantic.
Is that the right way to frame it? I haven't seen anyone hype him up recently since he had that poor game against the Oilers, and the last time he WAS hyped, I thought you in on that as well, no?

I'm under the impression that most people appropriately 180'd on him after his play 180'd. At best there's just a bit of residual hope, but I wouldn't call it hype.

Edit: Nevermind, just looked back at the EX2 thread, and I guess you weren't as sold on him as others were at that point. Maybe you're referring to the initial hype being unwarranted as well?

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The thing with Gaunce, though, was that he was just slow. Like, he seemed to just be a case of a guy who didn't have the right construction to be quick even with good mechanics and whatnot.

Watching Raty skate is just kind of bizarre. Like his technique looks at least fine until the moment he starts going in a straight line, and then he looks like he's been on skates for three months. At times it honestly looks like he slows down when he shifts from coasting to putting down power, and it's just so curious as to why.

Yeah. There's that element with Raty where you can tell he at least wants to play fast. Whereas Gaunce was just hyper patient, which i think exaggerated his slow skating pretty heavily.

Reactions: RobertKron

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Mercifully the game has finally ended. Awful hockey game. We picked it up a bit in the 2nd but then the 3rd was again like the first. No Hughes and none of the team’s top 3 Cs is a team with no spine.

- best player on the ice was Hronek. Poor play on the 1-0 goal but otherwise was crisp and active in everything he did. Soucy also had one poor turnover in an otherwise solid game.

- I don’t get the hype on McWard. Easily the worst Canuck D tonight, multiple turnovers, the game is just too fast for him right now and that was not a fast game. Can execute a nice breakout with time and space but under pressure in his zone everything gets frantic.

- Wolanin was really solid. That should lock up a roster spot for him, you’d think.

- I’m pretty much done with Hoglander. Dumb as rocks, just doesn’t process anything quickly enough.

- Studnicka had probably his weakest game. Suter had probably his strongest game. Beauvillier somehow looks way smaller than last year.

- Raty is such an odd mix of mature, fundamentally sound NHL looking plays and looking totally slow and lost. Sometimes on the same shift.

- Sasson got better and better through the preseason and outplayed Bains tonight which surprised me. Linus Karlsson just sucks, no idea why they wasted 3 games on him.

- DeSmith looks like the best backup since Demko was the backup.
I know that @Vector and I discussed every single thing here outside of the Karlsson thing, but I was thinking about that re Karlsson. Agree with everything

Other note was that I thought Brisebois, Joshua were dece

With McWard, he does some really good NHL level things here and there where you think if he just has a full year with constant coaching and reps that he'll probably figure it out. Like I wouldn't go as far to say that I don't get the hype long term in him turning into a bottom pair/depth guy - but i also haven't got the hype this preseason if that's what you meant to say

Reactions: Vector

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

It's bizarre, he has zero glide...like he takes two strides and hasn't gone anywhere. Maybe he needs to look at his profile.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Generally guys would order new gear in the off-season. Normal turnaround especially for True is 6-8 weeks probably. They could have slapped some padskinz on there though.

Yeah. It's weird to be upset or even annoyed by this. :laugh:

DeSmith getting shuffled to a new team so late on basically the eve of camp opening, means he's probably at the back of the line on getting his new "Canucks gear" all custom made up and shipped out to him. There's significant lead time on that, which he wasn't able to take advantage of as normal because of his team uncertainty circumstances. It's a busy time of year for the guys handling custom NHL goalie gear. It'll take a minute, but it's fine. He'll probably have new gear by the time he actually gets a start, but even if not...who cares?

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
This team ain’t built to play from behind

But that is apparently the plan this season if the preseason is any indication

They giving the players sleeping pills to start games?

I should look at the shots through every 1st period so far this pre-season.
Any update ?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Biological warfare in the nhl.
Never thought I'd see it.
Nobody:

Gaudette:
giphy.gif

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Seems to me that part of the strategy in this game was to 'torture test' Cole McWard.

He played big minutes with multiple partners.....most of the time with Brisebois, but also shifts with Wolanin and even Myers, when they tried shifting McWard to his unnatural left side.

There were a few hiccups, which you might expect....but generally I thought he sailed through the adversity with flying colors.

It'll be an interesting final decision.....but unless the Canucks make a deal, McWard starts the season in Vancouver.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
The best thing for McWard would be to send him down to the AHL to develop playing 22 mins in every situation. But of course, we’ll rush him like we always do because we don’t have any better options

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad