Post-Game Talk: [EX4] Canucks defeat Oilers | 5-2 (Hughes(2), Kuzmenko, Pettersson, & Di Giuseppe)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Boudreau was already doing that with Schenn for big chunks of last season. Doesn't mean management can't still upgrade that spot since neither McWard nor Juulsen have shown themselves to be NHL players during this pre-season.
I said in the waiver thread that Bernard-Docker should be an auto-claim for VAN, and here he is on waivers.

Regardless, my position on Hughes’ partner is not really different. They obviously could use an upgrade. But Tocchet is going to distribute the TOI as more of a top-3 and interchangeable parts regardless of whether they find another depth defender.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How much of that is score effects
Admittedly they are certainly driving the results to some degree. But I kinda already said that caveat: Use Myers with Hughes in more offensive orientations or when trailing, and use Soucy with Hughes in the DZ.

The point is that the McWard/Juulsen types would not be playing much and would not be Hughes’ “partner”, regardless of what’s on the lineup chart.

Tocchet himself has basically said this is how he’ll deploy the defense.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Admittedly they are certainly driving the results to some degree. But I kinda already said that caveat: Use Myers with Hughes in more offensive orientations or when trailing, and use Soucy with Hughes in the DZ.

The point is that the McWard/Juulsen types would not be playing much and would not be Hughes’ “partner”, regardless of what’s on the lineup chart.

Tocchet himself has basically said this is how he’ll deploy the defense.
No I know what you are trying to put across and what Tocchet is saying he will do.

My question was genuine - are the results hughes/myers are putting up better than what essentially any defenseman could put up next to hughes when trailing? If so, how much better?

Not even necessarily expecting you to have the answer. Just putting down the question that arose in my brain while I was reading your post

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram and Vector

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
It was what he came up with as the reason why the Sedins were actually secretly not very good.
Yes it was the Sedins! That's right. For some reason I thought it was for Burrows someone like that but I remember now it was the Sedins.

HF hall of fame material that was.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No I know what you are trying to put across and what Tocchet is saying he will do.

My question was genuine - are the results hughes/myers are putting up better than what essentially any defenseman could put up next to hughes when trailing? If so, how much better?

Not even necessarily expecting you to have the answer. Just putting down the question that arose in my brain while I was reading your post
No of course, it's a legit question and I personally expect that some of the Hughes-Myers results are driven by situation (score effects) and deployment. But for me, that's not bad. You lean on Hughes-Myers in those situations, and perhaps go Hughes-Soucy in the DZ.

I personally do think you could get similar results next to Hughes with any NHL 3rd pair calibre defenseman but...the Canucks don't really have any other NHL quality defenders after Myers, so they'll have to work with what they got.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yes it was the Sedins! That's right. For some reason I thought it was for Burrows someone like that but I remember now it was the Sedins.

something something unique pts something something jokinen and cammalleri something something marian gaborik iirc shopping for barbecues on the north shore?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But does he produce enough "unique" points?
Damn.

Blast from the past.

Fun fact.

Using this stat showed us that Martin St Louis + Lecavalier were also bad players during their cup winning playoffs run in Tampa.

Reactions: Vector

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad