GDT: [EX GM 3] Vancouver Canucks vs. Seattle Kraken | 6:30PM PST | SNET

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yea if Silovs wasn’t in net I’m sure we wouldn’t have played like as as a team. Pretty much his fault entirely our vets phoned it in all period.
He couldn't make a save...was poorly positioned on all of the goals he let in..including the OT goal (as John Garrett pointed out after the game))....Thats not a good look, when you're up two going into the 3rd......Feeling sorry for him because he came in 'cold' is absurd, its a standard procedure in most pre season games to split the goaltending...Martin Jones came in 'cold'' halfway through the game for the Kraken, and had a solid performance.

Obviously, its not all on Silovs..but he was definitely 'off' this game.

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The game gets faster every year, and Pearson gets more exposed. I can't think it would hurt the Canucks if he was dropped down to fourth line duty. A guy with better wheels needs to move up the lineup to play with Garland and Miller.
If you have noticed over the last two years Pearson is on the ice most often when Hughes is out there as he is one of the best forwards that can play defence. He covers for Hughes when he rushes.

Exhibition games, meh. Not much meaning to them yet but a team expected to come out like being shot out of a cannon should win a few

Reactions: Grantham

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
That's the nature of goaltending, it's mostly a mental game and thats why goalies usually make the NHL around 25-27 years old. That first goal by Silovs that went over his glove destroyed his confidence.

Regardless, he's 21 years old and has the raw tools to develop into a solid goaltender.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
That's the nature of goaltending, it's mostly a mental game and thats why goalies usually make the NHL around 25-27 years old. That first goal by Silovs that went over his glove destroyed his confidence.

Regardless, he's 21 years old and has the raw tools to develop into a solid goaltender.
Yep... would have been nice if he had gotten to play more than 21 games over the last 2 seasons.
If he can handle it, I want to see him being a workhorse down in Abbotsford this year.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Yes it's tough to watch the last 2 pre seasons and argue with this.

I loathe to put a ceiling on him yet but his defensive play so far at the NHL level needs heavy sheltering. Hope that changes to a serviceable level at least like Hunt had found half way through last year because he makes some excellent stretch passes and can be an asset in the offensive zone and the PP as you say.

I'm trying to stay patient but it's concerning and I don't think Bruce is going to have a long leash once the season starts.
What did he do wrong last night? He was a plus 2 and Hughes was a minus 2 and that was with a plus on the PP. Folks blamed Pearson for the Seattle's third goal but Hughes backed away from the puck to avoid body contact all he had to do was bump the puck back towards Pearson and the game winner he was out of position.

Bruce last year got a team that was angry, this year they aren't, yet. (Hawthorne Effect) But it is exhibition so .... next game

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
What did he do wrong last night? He was a plus 2 and Hughes was a minus 2 and that was with a plus on the PP. Folks blamed Pearson for the Seattle's third goal but Hughes backed away from the puck to avoid body contact all he had to do was bump the puck back towards Pearson and the game winner he was out of position.

Bruce last year got a team that was angry, this year they aren't, yet. (Hawthorne Effect) But it is exhibition so .... next game

You don't get pluses for PP goals ....

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

had multiple turnovers in transition. has shown a tendency to put pucks into sticks and bodies when under pressure and had a couple moments in defending where he completely lost his check.

The most egregious was a simple transition for Seattle through the neutral zone where he got puck watching and they passed around him and made a 3 on 1 odd man rush. It was a easy read to just get back and defend the 3 forwards and await back pressure support or to keep good gaps and defend the middle as a simple 3 on 2 but when he got tunnel vision for the winger that had the puck he was easily passed around and left flat footed.

At the NHL level you dont see that kind of poor decision very often because coaches park asses for it. He's a excellent player in the flow going forward but he's got a lot to learn defensively. At 5'10 180lbs he's gonna have to be a high IQ player and i'm not seeing it yet. He's a smart guy i still think he can figure it out but it's disappointing when it's happened in both games to date and was an issue last camp and the competition should have been one that he shouldn't struggle with at all.

Onward and upward hopefully

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

For a young goaltender, one of the toughest things to do is come into a game 'cold', and then try to bail out your teammates when they're coughing up scoring chances, like the Canucks did in the third period last night.

He let in two, and I'm sure he'd like to have to the first one back. But i also counted three or four other 10-bell saves that got the game to OT. Then in OT, the winner was scored on a breakaway that looked like a shootout goal he had so much time.

I'd say that Silovs has helped himself more in this training camp than almost any other player. But as other posters have pointed, it makes it all the more nonsensical that he's hardly played the last couple of seasons. And the guy who got all his ice-time--DiPietro--looks like he's on his way out of the organization.

The Canucks picked up Delia as insurance.....but if Spencer Martin falters or there's and injury, I could easily see Silovs being summoned as the backup. That's how much he's improved.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
For a young goaltender, one of the toughest things to do is come into a game 'cold', and then try to bail out your teammates when they're coughing up scoring chances, like the Canucks did in the third period last night.

He let in two, and I'm sure he'd like to have to the first one back. But i also counted three or four other 10-bell saves that got the game to OT. Then in OT, the winner was scored on a breakaway that looked like a shootout goal he had so much time.

I'd say that Silovs has helped himself more in this training camp than almost any other player. But as other posters have pointed, it makes it all the more nonsensical that he's hardly played the last couple of seasons. And the guy who got all his ice-time--DiPietro--looks like he's on his way out of the organization.

The Canucks picked up Delia as insurance.....but if Spencer Martin falters or there's and injury, I could easily see Silovs being summoned as the backup. That's how much he's improved.
Silovs let in 3 goals on 11 shots...and was out of position on all of them (according to Garrett)....If he cant perform splitting goaltending duties in a pre season game, then I'd say its going to be an uphill battle for him to be an NHL goalie.

"But when backup Arturs Silovs came in for the third, the barrier in front of the Canucks’ goal became porous with the Kraken scoring three times on 11 shots.

The Canucks didn’t lose because of Silovs, but a big save on either of the two pucks he let in during the third period would have saved the game."

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
That Wolverine training camp is doing wonder's for Hughes over the years
Arguably the best offseason camp a part from Bio Steel

His conditioning looks great

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Probly not the best way to gage a player, but the only one who looked to be in the same class Pettersson last night was Kuzmenko.

We see players that do really well in preseason then fade once the regular season starts, but Kuzmenko’s skills are really apparent and look to carry over to regular season play.
Kuzmenko had 1.18ppg in the KHL last year; Panarin had 1.14ppg in the KHL the season before he entered the NHL and scored 77 points.

Kuzmenko is a two years older than Panarin was when he entered the NHL; but maybe he's a late bloomer? We can hope anyway!

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Some random poo:

1) Kuzemko is awesome. I hope we sign him long term and I do not care if we have to move Boeser at the end of this season to make it happen.

2) Switch Mikheyev and Podkolzin. Put Mikheyev with Horvat and Garland when he returns and try Podkolzin with Kuzemko and Petey.

3) People are being way too tough on Poolman. Yes he sucked donkey balls last night but the man was out for so long and is bound to have some rust. Just like Petey when the season started last year. Give him some time to get back in the thick of things. Yes, Poolman isn't a top 4 guy but he's a very decent 3rd pairing guy when he's on his game, and he doesn't look completely out of place as a #4 when there are injuries and he's playing with a good man (Hughes or OEL). Poolman will be fine for us.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Some random poo:

1) Kuzemko is awesome. I hope we sign him long term and I do not care if we have to move Boeser at the end of this season to make it happen.

2) Switch Mikheyev and Podkolzin. Put Mikheyev with Horvat and Garland when he returns and try Podkolzin with Kuzemko and Petey.

3) People are being way too tough on Poolman. Yes he sucked donkey balls last night but the man was out for so long and is bound to have some rust. Just like Petey when the season started last year. Give him some time to get back in the thick of things. Yes, Poolman isn't a top 4 guy but he's a very decent 3rd pairing guy when he's on his game, and he doesn't look completely out of place as a #4 when there are injuries and he's playing with a good man (Hughes or OEL). Poolman will be fine for us.
Some random poo:

“Yes, Poolman isn't a top 4 guy but he's a very decent 3rd pairing guy when he's on his game”

I watched all of last year and at no point did I think the quoted. He’s a bust of a signing. It’s okay.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
“Yes, Poolman isn't a top 4 guy but he's a very decent 3rd pairing guy when he's on his game”

I watched all of last year and at no point did I think the quoted. He’s a bust of a signing. It’s okay.
I think he can and will be better. Ditto for Dickinson. Dickinson was awful last season but clearly played better the year prior in Dallas. As far as Poolman goes, I think he was forced to play unexpectedly higher than where he was initially slotted since Travis "Drama-nick" decided to act like a donkey and not be in our line-up. Give Poolman sometime imo.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
A guy who's wildly inconsistent and injury prone, who best case scenario, if the stars align, when he's on his game, is only a decent 3rd pairing guy (and even that's debateable) is pretty bad and probably not worth the time/benefit of the doubt, IMO.

I mean, we're stuck with him for now, but he should only be a last resort for when we run out of options. (there are 7 guys I'd rather give a chance to)

Last edited:

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I think he can and will be better. Ditto for Dickinson. Dickinson was awful last season but clearly played better the year prior in Dallas. As far as Poolman goes, I think he was forced to play unexpectedly higher than where he was initially slotted since Travis "Drama-nick" decided to act like a donkey and not be in our line-up. Give Poolman sometime imo.

He had a bunch of games last year and on Winnipeg he was an adequate number 6.

He is what he is and injuries haven’t made him better.

Reactions: Vector

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kuzmenko had 1.18ppg in the KHL last year; Panarin had 1.14ppg in the KHL the season before he entered the NHL and scored 77 points.

Kuzmenko is a two years older than Panarin was when he entered the NHL; but maybe he's a late bloomer? We can hope anyway!

He was considered a super talent when he was a teenager. People expected him to become a KHL star like 5 years ago but he became the one only in the previous season. I think he's that kind of a person who needs to get matured to start taking things seriously, like working hard etc.

Reactions: Aqualung

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning was consistent to the bitter end, and the Poolman signing proves it. Just like the signing of Tyler Myers from the Jets before him, hockey experts turned two-thumbs down on both deals.

But then I can't think of a single UFA d-man who ever worked out in the Benning era.....mostly overpaid and underwhelming.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Benning was consistent to the bitter end, and the Poolman signing proves it. Just like the signing of Tyler Myers from the Jets before him, hockey experts turned two-thumbs down on both deals.

But then I can't think of a single UFA d-man who ever worked out in the Benning era.....mostly overpaid and underwhelming.

Schenn and Burroughs were very good signings the same off-season as Poolman. But, that's about it.

Reactions: Vector

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

I really don’t think the Myers deal was that bad. The concern was that it would be a bad deal towards the end, and so far it hasn’t. If anything Myers has seemingly improved and has just had his best season as a Canuck. I get that stylistically he isn’t the best fit, but I really don’t think that contract has turned out too poorly to date.

Poolman on the other hand…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad