Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
When I really think about it. Luongo's contract is actually pretty fair considering what goalies are fetching these days. I guess it's the term that is rough but overall the yearly paycheck is more then manageable. I'll go as far as saying it's a great contract on a yearly salary.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I well up sometimes when I realize that Luongo isn't our goalie anymore.

**** Mike Gillis.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
When I really think about it. Luongo's contract is actually pretty fair considering what goalies are fetching these days. I guess it's the term that is rough but overall the yearly paycheck is more then manageable. I'll go as far as saying it's a great contract on a yearly salary.

It is. We got completely screwed

even then I was surprised at how the league perceived him. The lacklustre return wasn't a surprise but everything leading up to it and how his contract is constantly mentioned with the Clarksons and other buy-out candidates is astonishing

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
It is. We got completely screwed

even then I was surprised at how the league perceived him. The lacklustre return wasn't a surprise but everything leading up to it and how his contract is constantly mentioned with the Clarksons and other buy-out candidates is astonishing

The sad thing is, I think Toronto got a better return for Clarkson than we did for Luongo.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
After all the Luongo drama, once he got out of Vancouver the fans and media all over started to cheer him on and say he's an alright guy....the same ****ing people who called him LOLuongo, choker, drama queen, etc

Luongo had his time here but it's over and done with, Mike Gillis went full Billy Beane and he got fired

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The sad thing is, I think Toronto got a better return for Clarkson than we did for Luongo.

Meh. Matthias and Markstrom aren't necessarily bad for a goalie who essentially became near unmoveable thanks to Burke. Granted, it looked like things were smoothing over until Torts decided to snub Lu. Still, we were going to have to move him if we ever wanted Lack to take the reins.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Meh. Matthias and Markstrom aren't necessarily bad for a goalie who essentially became near unmoveable thanks to Burke. Granted, it looked like things were smoothing over until Torts decided to snub Lu. Still, we were going to have to move him if we ever wanted Lack to take the reins.

That went well.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It was the right time getting rid of Loungo, he has not been lately what he has been before. No one rank him high these days. The contract was an issue and retaining some was a given thing (yes 10% would have been nicer *shrugs*). Problem is that the latest string of trades has not given the team anything of importance. It has been a quest for role-players who "will" elevate if things are planned correctly. The goalie situation is the least worrying, which is crazy with 3 good goalies traded away.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yup. Luongo, Lapierre, Hansen, and Torres are the only players who showed up for the SCF. My beef is with the leaders on offense (and rightfully so). When a team can only score 8 goals in a 7 game series, blaming the goalie for the loss is the most idiotic thing someone could do.

How about instead of blaming one or the other people wake up and realize that injuries were to blame for the 2011 team not winning. But no...

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
^^^^Our 2011 team was in shambles health wise.

Too lazy to dig up the injury report afterwards but it was pretty ridiculous. Guys playing with broken ribs, needed surgery etc

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

image.php

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
^^^^Our 2011 team was in shambles health wise.

Too lazy to dig up the injury report afterwards but it was pretty ridiculous. Guys playing with broken ribs, needed surgery etc

Yeah it was brutal. No idea how anyone could expect two guys to carry a broken team to victory when they were as banged up as they were. I doubt it's ever happened in the entire history of the NHL.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I well up sometimes when I realize that Luongo isn't our goalie anymore.

**** Mike Gillis.

Uhhhhhh..... Luongo asked for a trade.

He's the ******-bag. It's amazing how people distort situations nowadays. 15-20 years ago when a player demanded a trade, everyone would lose it.

Gillis' only fault was almost trying to be too good of a guy and be good to Lu, while looking out for the Canucks.

Seriously Who the **** signs a 12 year deal then requests out -- PUBLICLY as well -- a couple years into it.

**** Roberto Luongo.

JA

Uhhhhhh..... Luongo asked for a trade.

He's the ******-bag. It's amazing how people distort situations nowadays. 15-20 years ago when a player demanded a trade, everyone would lose it.

Gillis' only fault was almost trying to be too good of a guy and be good to Lu, while looking out for the Canucks.

Seriously Who the **** signs a 12 year deal then requests out -- PUBLICLY as well -- a couple years into it.

**** Roberto Luongo.

After the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals, people were completely unsure about Luongo. The 2011-12 season began with Luongo in net, but as the season wore on and Cory Schneider's play continued to impress, Cory was given an opportunity in the 2012 postseason against the Kings.

After that, Roberto said he was open to the possibility of being moved if the team wanted to go with Schneider. This is when all of the trade rumors began and pressure mounted for the team to move Roberto.

Luongo's entire 2012-13 season was overshadowed by the prospect of him being moved. Mike Gillis was very picky about getting exactly what he wanted out of a Luongo deal, and so no trade occurred. Then Schneider was moved at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.

After that, Roberto continued to say that he had severed his emotional attachment to the city of Vancouver and did not expect to remain with the Canucks. When Eddie Lack showed that he was a competent goaltender as well, another controversy arose. The team finally moved Roberto after the 2014 Heritage Classic.

If Roberto had outplayed Schneider and told the team that he wanted to stay, he probably would have stayed. Instead, Schneider matched Luongo's level in 2011-12, and then Roberto said he was open to being moved. That's what fostered the expectation that he would be traded. If Luongo wanted to stay, he would have stood his ground and not volunteered to be traded. It would have helped too if he had played well enough to justify keeping him over the younger goaltender. Seeing as Gillis could not negotiate a worthwhile deal during the 2012-13 season and there were calls about Cory Schneider, if Roberto really wanted to be here he would still be here.

He was moved in 2014 because his mind was already set on living somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad