Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm right on the fence on Cassidy so I don't really have a bias here. Would it be fair to say that while it's not his job to develop young players, it is his job to make sure the young players he is given that are NHL caliber do not substantially regress?

I've seen several young players that have been successful playing one way be forced to play another way and struggle. Some critics call that regression, some coaches call it development. Guess it depends how you look at it.
But I do agree that blaming the square peg for not fitting into the round hole is misguided.

Reactions: duffy

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles

2C573D73-E90E-44F2-BB07-F1398714A9E0.jpeg

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm right on the fence on Cassidy so I don't really have a bias here. Would it be fair to say that while it's not his job to develop young players, it is his job to make sure the young players he is given that are NHL caliber do not substantially regress?

His job is simple, win hockey games. As much as I hate to say it because I wish he'd give the young guys more leash, his job is to win games. Cassidy takes what he's given and rolls out what he feels gives them the best chance to win. So when 3 guys are responsible for 40% of my goals, ya I'm probably not breaking them up. I'm going to lean more on the guys who've been there and proven themselves because my goal as the coach is to put the team in the best possible position to win.

Reactions: Sevendust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
His job is simple, win hockey games. As much as I hate to say it because I wish he'd give the young guys more leash, his job is to win games. Cassidy takes what he's given and rolls out what he feels gives them the best chance to win. So when 3 guys are responsible for 40% of my goals, ya I'm probably not breaking them up. I'm going to lean more on the guys who've been there and proven themselves because my goal as the coach is to put the team in the best possible position to win.

But isn't making sure your young players are playing to the level they have done in the past part of winning hockey games?

Isn't part of being an NHL coach is slowly and incrementally getting the team better and better throughout the year? If I'm an NHL coach and my team plays really well in the early part and really poorly in the 2nd half doesn't that fall on me as a coach? Ideally each game my team should be more prepared, more accustomed to the system, more comfortable in their roles. Not just young players, all their players. And if I'm coaching younger guys, my expectation is your better in Game 82 in April than you were in Game 1 in October. If the player isn't not, am I doing my job as coach? I mean who is at fault? We can't blame the AHL coach for a full-time NHLer regressing between Game 1 and Game 82.

When he's on the bench coaching a game, yeah his job is to win that game. By whatever reasonable means necessary. And to be honest benching guys hasn't been something I've noticed Cassidy using a lot. He's done it a bit, but nothing excessive IMO.

Outside of the actual games, he becomes a manager and leader of a group of young men. And that encompasses the entire package IMO, including getting the best out of the young players you've been given to coach. No one is saying Cassidy needs to be focused on skills development or any special one-on-one training or anything like that. But it's all about putting the guys you have in the best positions to succeed, and that may include working on player development even at the NHL level. Working on it may just be instructing your assistant coaches to work with a player on something. But he can't bury his head in the sand and ignore it either.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Come back Looch. He still follows all Boston sports things and is still apart of this community. Seeing Savvy throwing in there hurts me insane. But the response right there? THATS what missing with this team.
I still miss his toughness a lot. The team before DS took over had so much toughness on it: Lucic, Seidenberg, Quaider, Killer, Chara, Kelly, Soupy, Marchy. Those guys wouldn't have put up with seeing the foolishness that has happened to Bs skill players over the past couple seasons. Who are the tough guys in 2021-2022 on the Bs that even hold a candle to the aforementioned players? Marchy and McAvoy I guess are the only two, and they are respectively the best forward and d-man. Maybe Foligno, but I'm not sure how intimidating he is at this stage of his career.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Come back Looch. He still follows all Boston sports things and is still apart of this community. Seeing Savvy throwing in there hurts me insane. But the response right there? THATS what missing with this team.
I remember when Lucic got boarded in Dallas, Savard came in like an absolute piss missile throwing pucnhes.

This. This right here is a team that had each others back. 7:20 mark...

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
What is it going to take for these dodos to figure it out. This team is hard to watch. Softest team in years, don't stick up for each other, players requesting trades, Krejci bolted to Europe, Bergie won't commit, how many signs does one organization need to make some changes. Watching that clip was more exciting to watch than the last two seasons combined.

Reactions: NeelyDan and BMC

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I still miss his toughness a lot. The team before DS took over had so much toughness on it: Lucic, Seidenberg, Quaider, Killer, Chara, Kelly, Soupy, Marchy. Those guys wouldn't have put up with seeing the foolishness that has happened to Bs skill players over the past couple seasons. Who are the tough guys in 2021-2022 on the Bs that even hold a candle to the aforementioned players? Marchy and McAvoy I guess are the only two, and they are respectively the best forward and d-man. Maybe Foligno, but I'm not sure how intimidating he is at this stage of his career.
:soap:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Jeremy Lauzon scored his first goal of the season last night........twice. His first goal of the night ( against another former Bruin - Martin Jones ) got called back due to Goalie Interference but then he scored again in the 3rd period to give Seattle a very brief lead for only 15 seconds.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Jeremy Lauzon scored his first goal of the season last night........twice. His first goal of the night ( against another former Bruin - Martin Jones ) got called back due to Goalie Interference but then he scored again in the 3rd period to give Seattle a very brief lead for only 15 seconds.

How did the Bruins lose this guy? Only took him half a season to get a goal. He would of been a perfect fit here on the island of no goal-scoring talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad