Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The problem with Backes is he was old and declining. He is just making excuses for his predictable decline.
I see it more as denial of reality, wanting the Bruins to adapt to his strength than adapting to the Bruins x and o's. The funny part was when he said he was a little passed his prime. Big big ego there. That just tells you why he left his only team up till then... being a captain and all for the same money but an extra year.

Let me simplify this. A captain adored by fans, teammates and the organization he played for his whole life... decided to leave everything behind for an extra year. Unbelievable... The Blues let him go rather than giving him an extra year on his contract. Backes agent squeezed that extra year... and Sweeney fell for it. Minni, the Habs nor the blues fell for it. The type of player he was, everybody and their little sister knew his body was breaking down... but Sweeney still ignore it.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Unfortunately the Game game got away from the physical one, evolved into a fast, more skilled based hockey and the already not so fast Backes became even slower. That happened. That has nothing to do with Cassidy.

I think there's some truth in that. But the Blues and Capitals both won the Cup in 2018 and 2019 playing heavy, physical hockey. I wouldn't call those teams slow or unskilled as such, but they were both power teams that a fit Backes would have found a useful place in. And I think when Backes came to the Bruins, that's what he was expecting - another tough, gritty team that his style would suit. He didn't sign for Montreal, he signed with the Claude Julien Bruins. So I don't think it was unreasonable of him to expect that it would be a good match.

Turned out it wasn't to be. Part of that is Backes got sick and also that as you rightly say the game was evolving in general away from his strengths. But part is also on Cassidy and Sweeney taking the team in a different direction. I don't have any problem with Cassidy doing that - it's his full right as coach even if I disagree with some of his methods, and he couldn't be expected to not do something just because it didn't suit one player. It's just to point out that the change of coach and unexpected change in the team's playing style was problematic for Backes and compromised his effectiveness and the value he brought to the team and his contract. That's no-one's fault as such, just one of those things.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sounds like a guy who comes across as bitter about game 7 and wanted others to advocate for him instead of doing it himself.

David, the game evolves and you need to accept that you just weren’t that good.

Dropping names also makes you look bad as well.

Thanks for your time here and enjoy your retirement.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I still would have taken him over Kuhlman in Game 7.

Me too but I still get the reason why he did go with Kuhlman. Also if they would have lost game 7 with Backes in the lineup people would ask today why Cassidy pulled Kuhlman from the lineup despite scoring a goal in game 6 and having a better series than Backes

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Say what you want about his play during his time here, his character and his word shouldn't be questioned.

And he definitely had some interesting things to say during this interview.

Really eye opening. Some maybe not so subtle shots at team leadership.
Backes wanted to spend more time talking and organizing social interests that Backes cared about, things they didn't had no interest in. They wanted to spend that time with Family or friends or whatever they see fit. Imo I have no problem with that.

He also wanted for them to voice to management the way he was mistreated by his poor play. They showed him empathy with the situation. It's not their place to do that. Fight your own fights buddy. Again I'm OK with this.

He has a problem with how Chara and Marchand trained??? They are intense players... that's who they are, that's how they play... Backes comments, "we'll I'll just save my energy for the game tonight/tomorrow."

Again that's not on the players. I don't see the shots at team leadership. I see a petulant child bad mouthing ex teammates, coaches and management for not Adapting to his weaknesses and wellbeing. Like @finchster said. "He is just making excuses for is predictable decline,"

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like a guy who comes across as bitter about game 7 and wanted others to advocate for him instead of doing it himself.

David, the game evolves and you need to accept that you just weren’t that good.

Dropping names also makes you look bad as well.

Thanks for your time here and enjoy your retirement.
Perfectly said.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Me too but I still get the reason why he did go with Kuhlman. Also if they would have lost game 7 with Backes in the lineup people would ask today why Cassidy pulled Kuhlman from the lineup despite scoring a goal in game 6 and having a better series than Backes

I also want say that you can discuss about Backes or Kuhlman playing. In the end the bigger question for me is how a team in a Stanley Cup final doesnt have a better right winger to put on his second line. This team has a big hole in this spot since Iginla left in 2014. Sweeney is the GM since 2015. His solutions were Backes, Nash, Kase and kind of Smith. Bad luck of course with Kase and Nash but the, lacked durability already in the beginning. For me this falls on the GM. You know your top centers are well in their 30s. You go for THE solution and acquire someone who can play in this spot and dont try to find the solution two players past his prime, a often injured one and the last mentioned one playing above his abilities.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Backes wanted to spend more time talking and organizing social interests that Backes cared about, things they didn't had no interest in. They wanted to spend that time with Family or friends or whatever they see fit. Imo I have no problem with that.

He also wanted for them to voice to management the way he was mistreated by his poor play. They showed him empathy with the situation. It's not their place to do that. Fight your own fights buddy. Again I'm OK with this.

He has a problem with how Chara and Marchand trained??? They are intense players... that's who they are, that's how they play... Backes comments, "we'll I'll just save my energy for the game tonight/tomorrow."

Again that's not on the players. I don't see the shots at team leadership. I see a petulant child bad mouthing ex teammates, coaches and management for not Adapting to his weaknesses and wellbeing. Like @finchster said. "He is just making excuses for is predictable decline,"

A lot of this is your own interpretation or spin on what was said so we can agree to disagree. Neither of us know the full story and instead are trying to interpret what was meant between the lines.

Not much to work with here.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It’ll just get brushed off as a disgruntled ex Bruin that got scratched in the finals.

man some people can never find any fault with this organization. Like it’s ok really no fan points deducted. The same people praising his leadership coming in are knocking him for what he says now. Blind loyalty is really something else.

Of course it can’t be true it doesn’t shine a great light on the Bruins

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
man some people can never find any fault with this organization. Like it’s ok really no fan points deducted. The same people praising his leadership coming in are knocking him for what he says now. Blind loyalty is really something else.

Yeah that’s basically it. I don’t mind the decision of scratching him in the finals, and he may still be a little salty from it but that also doesn’t mean his comments don’t hold any weight.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah that’s basically it. I don’t mind the decision of scratching him in the finals, and he may still be a little salty from it but that also doesn’t mean his comments don’t hold any weight.
Yeah, because when people are making excuses and salty, they wait years and then lash out in a respectful podcast.

Wild thought, maybe what he's saying is just what happened . . . it certainly fits what we've all seen

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

It's like people can't separate his disappointing play from his character.

There's nothing in Backes' years and years of captaining a team to suggest he's a person who would harbor resentment or have "sour grapes". By all accounts he seems like a stand up guy with great leadership qualities.

He's probably the first "veteran" player that has now retired who had played with this core group since Rex I would think. He doesn't need to worry about burning bridges at this point so he can be a little more straightforward with his opinion which can be tough to hear for some fans.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It's like people can't separate his disappointing play from his character.

There's nothing in Backes' years and years of captaining a team to suggest he's a person who would harbor resentment or have "sour grapes". By all accounts he seems like a stand up guy with great leadership qualities.

He's probably the first "veteran" player that has now retired who had played with this core group since Rex I would think. He doesn't need to worry about burning bridges at this point so he can be a little more straightforward with his opinion which can be tough to hear for some fans.

But all of that said, he was mostly cooked when he got here. His comments seem to indicate that he was mismanaged by the coach. What was the coach supposed to do with a guy who was no more than a 3rd line player for most of his time here?

He was a bad signing, either because the GM didn't realize he couldn't keep up anymore, or the GM didn't realize his coach didn't want his top 9 forwards playing dump and chase hockey? But of all the things we can lay at Bruce's feet, how is this criticism relevant?

Is Karson Kuhlman gonna give an interview in 10 years about how Cassidy wasted all of his offensive talent by sticking him on the 4th line?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
A lot of this is your own interpretation or spin on what was said so we can agree to disagree. Neither of us know the full story and instead are trying to interpret what was meant between the lines.

Not much to work with here.
True. You gave your own interpretation or spin and i gave mine.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

I agree, and the same can be said about the players. Interchange organization in your post and put players. And your story is still valid.

Reactions: LouJersey

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Yeah, because when people are making excuses and salty, they wait years and then lash out in a respectful podcast.

Wild thought, maybe what he's saying is just what happened . . . it certainly fits what we've all seen
I won't say it's what happened, more like it's his own interpretation. Like the others also have their own interpretation. More often than not the truth is in the middle.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad