Former Bruins EX Bruins Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
But all of that said, he was mostly cooked when he got here. His comments seem to indicate that he was mismanaged by the coach. What was the coach supposed to do with a guy who was no more than a 3rd line player for most of his time here?

He was a bad signing, either because the GM didn't realize he couldn't keep up anymore, or the GM didn't realize his coach didn't want his top 9 forwards playing dump and chase hockey? But of all the things we can lay at Bruce's feet, how is this criticism relevant?

Is Karson Kuhlman gonna give an interview in 10 years about how Cassidy wasted all of his offensive talent by sticking him on the 4th line?

he signed here to be a center if you read his first comments when they inked him.

backes was decent here the first two seasons then the inevitable injuries and age starter. I mean he was pretty instrumental in getting this sad team a playoff birth no?

guy was nothing but class when he was scratched. True leader there. He didn’t go nuts in the heat of the moment.

this is how this place rolls though (not saying you)

praise the guys leadership coming in, then when he has something not glowing after his playing days he’s a hater or bitter. It’s pathetic.. he was nothing but a professional here.

honestly can’t wait for Folignos comments about how this team is run when he leaves. Should be great.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
But all of that said, he was mostly cooked when he got here. His comments seem to indicate that he was mismanaged by the coach. What was the coach supposed to do with a guy who was no more than a 3rd line player for most of his time here?

He was a bad signing, either because the GM didn't realize he couldn't keep up anymore, or the GM didn't realize his coach didn't want his top 9 forwards playing dump and chase hockey? But of all the things we can lay at Bruce's feet, how is this criticism relevant?

Is Karson Kuhlman gonna give an interview in 10 years about how Cassidy wasted all of his offensive talent by sticking him on the 4th line?
Great post.

Some fans can't handle the criticism of a player on the ice versus his personal life. For them he was a leader, not a washed up captain that was broken down by his style of play. And managed to trick Sweeney by saying he could handle that 6 years of grind.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I won't say it's what happened, more like it's his own interpretation. Like the others also have their own interpretation. More often than not the truth is in the middle.
That’s where I am with this.

Backes is telling his truth on a great podcast and while it comes across a certain way to me, it doesn’t invalidate what he’s saying.

It also doesn’t negate the great leadership he showed throughout his career or what an amazing human being he is.

I absolutely love Backes I just think this interview came across a big out of character for what we are used to.

What happened is probably somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: Spooner st

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
he signed here to be a center if you read his first comments when they inked him.

backes was decent here the first two seasons then the inevitable injuries and age starter. I mean he was pretty instrumental in getting this sad team a playoff birth no?

guy was nothing but class when he was scratched. True leader there. He didn’t go nuts in the heat of the moment.

this is how this place rolls though (not saying you)

praise the guys leadership coming in, then when he has something not glowing after his playing days he’s a hater or bitter. It’s pathetic.. he was nothing but a professional here.

honestly can’t wait for Folignos comments about how this team is run when he leaves. Should be great.

Lou I get what you are saying about this place, and the city's teams in general, I really do, I just don't think it applies in this one instance.

There were plenty of us, and I know 100%, I was on record the day of that signing that it was a terrible signing. So in a sense I have a horse in this race only that I never wanted the player on this team and felt it was a desperate grasp at relevance by the GM/President to sign him. But from day 1 this guy was never worth the contract. And he was a square peg in a round hole. Now your point about his class is spot on - he was a team first guy.

I never badmouthed the player - only the fool GM who gave him the contract. But now, today, coming out with comments about the coach and the leadership seems like sour grapes. There are unfortunately plenty of valid issues with Cassidy right now, and his job may be on the line for good reasons. But I don't think a player who unfortunately deteriorated to the point of not being serviceable in the league ought to be criticizing a coach who couldn't get more out of him at the time. There just wasn't much to get. And that is 100% on the GM.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
man some people can never find any fault with this organization. Like it’s ok really no fan points deducted. The same people praising his leadership coming in are knocking him for what he says now. Blind loyalty is really something else.

Of course it can’t be true it doesn’t shine a great light on the Bruins
I can find plenty of fault.

You will remember (maybe) that I was not a fan of the Sweeney and Cassidy hirings. I know recently it appears I am defending Cassidy, but I am not. I am defending the "he is getting blamed for the wrong stuff"

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Lou I get what you are saying about this place, and the city's teams in general, I really do, I just don't think it applies in this one instance.

There were plenty of us, and I know 100%, I was on record the day of that signing that it was a terrible signing. So in a sense I have a horse in this race only that I never wanted the player on this team and felt it was a desperate grasp at relevance by the GM/President to sign him. But from day 1 this guy was never worth the contract. And he was a square peg in a round hole. Now your point about his class is spot on - he was a team first guy.

I never badmouthed the player - only the fool GM who gave him the contract. But now, today, coming out with comments about the coach and the leadership seems like sour grapes. There are unfortunately plenty of valid issues with Cassidy right now, and his job may be on the line for good reasons. But I don't think a player who unfortunately deteriorated to the point of not being serviceable in the league ought to be criticizing a coach who couldn't get more out of him at the time. There just wasn't much to get. And that is 100% on the GM.
Agree.

Cassidy has his warts. But not developing young players. That's not his job. He's an NHL coach not AHL coach.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Something along the lines of , "We didn't bother to give a full effort on a consistent basis because coach wasn't nice enough!"
Cassidy has regressed,reverting back to what didn't work in his first coaching job. If a player isn't performing,STFU publicly.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

When you are an elite or top-level hockey player, teams build around your strengths and weaknesses. When you are at the end of your career, you have to find a way to fit your skills into the team. David Backes wasn't good enough for the Bruins to accommodate him, so he found himself on the outside looking in. He didn't find success elsewhere as well, so it wasn't just this team.

There are reasons to blame Cassidy, but not finding a way to fit declining David Backes into the lineup isn't one of them.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Backes was really disappointed when he got here and didn't find the secret sauce.

Then he realized that he lost all his contacts for house maintenance. Then nobody recognized him, and those that looked at him did not smile. And the very confusing and busy supermarkets.

To me personally... a professional player complaining about the city, the fans, the organization, the coaches and teammates after he retires... that says more about him than what the fans think of him.

I never liked that signing, contract nor the player at that stage. I never complained about it until he made it difficult for the team to get rid of that contract.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Backes was really disappointed when he got here and didn't find the secret sauce.

Then he realized that he lost all his contacts for house maintenance. Then nobody recognized him, and those that looked at him did not smile. And the very confusing and busy supermarkets.

To me personally... a professional player complaining about the city, the fans, the organization, the coaches and teammates after he retires... that says more about him than what the fans think of him.

I never liked that signing, contract nor the player at that stage. I never complained about it until he made it difficult for the team to get rid of that contract.
Did he kick your dog or something?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Love it! Folingo up next. When will Neely/Sweeney learn to just stop!!!

Reactions: Spooner st

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

Kind of interested to see if any more significant comments are ever made by Kessel/Seguin/Hamilton/R. Smith/JDB etc. about their time in Boston after they retire from the game.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I do distinctly remember when we signed Backes my feeling was confused. It wasn't that he was bad, it was more that he did not fit the roster at all, and it came out of nowhere. I don't remember us being linked to him in rumors prior. He was still decent the first year or two, but he was a square peg in a round hole for sure. A center who was being pushed into being a wing with linemates who didn't match or complement his style. That all contributed to him becoming less valuable and less moveable until the contract became such an albatross that we had to trade away another 1st round pick just to be rid of it.

From all accounts a good guy, good leader in the room and all. but I still don't understand what Sweeney was thinking.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Acie

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2019
Southern Ontario
Am I supposed to feel bad Backes had to lift kitty litter to keep himself in shape?

I'm sure at some point a millionaire professional athlete has the means to at least acquire some dumbbells, no?

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Just finished reading Shawn Thornton’s book, good read.
One of the most amazing items I got from the the book Sean is one of three players to play 600 AHL and 600 NHL games
Pick it up

Last edited:
Reactions: sarge88

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agree.

Cassidy has his warts. But not developing young players. That's not his job. He's an NHL coach not AHL coach.

I'm right on the fence on Cassidy so I don't really have a bias here. Would it be fair to say that while it's not his job to develop young players, it is his job to make sure the young players he is given that are NHL caliber do not substantially regress?

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1