Confirmed with Link: Evgeny Svechnikov to a PTO

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I really liked Svech from the first time he took the ice. It's clear that Connor-PLD-Svech have really good chemistry; the coach should keep riding that as long as they keep looking great.

I really hope signing Svech is a high-ish priority this offseason.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If only the coaches realized that.
Wasn't he on the top line last night? I think Svech is doing what he needs to to become a fixture in the top 6 - and I think the coaches have handled him pretty well. His effort, physicality and focus has steadily improved, and I think things like reducing ice time and scratching him was part of the way the coaches were trying to impart that into his game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If Svech didn’t take bad penalties and make so many bad giveaways, he’d be a sure fire top 6er
I think those come from his competitiveness - he'll likely improve that aspect. You see a guy like Dubois take penalties and I think if you try to curtail that too much you also limit his game. As for giveaways, I don't think they've been nearly as egregious as some like Shiefele, Ehlers and even Connor. What I like about Svech is how he busts his ass to correct his mistakes, which is more than we can say about a certain 55

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I could be wrong but I think he only has 1 year left on control so hopefully we can get a cheap multi-year deal done

According to capfriendly, he's an RFA after this.

Evgeny Svechnikov Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Since it looks like he is 25, and has 6 years of NHL contracts, after next year he would be an UFA.

I just realized that Svech was born after I was already out of High School. God I'm depressed now :laugh:

EDIT: Looks like his ELC slid two years, so he might be an RFA for 2 more seasons?

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Wasn't he on the top line last night? I think Svech is doing what he needs to to become a fixture in the top 6 - and I think the coaches have handled him pretty well. His effort, physicality and focus has steadily improved, and I think things like reducing ice time and scratching him was part of the way the coaches were trying to impart that into his game.

I fully expect him on the 4th line when Lowry is healthy and the juggle happens to get him back into the lineup.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
He's been very good. If I'm him, I sign for those rfa years(I think it's one more) then hit the market. But hopefully Chevy can get more years out of him maybe in the 1.5M range. He's considerably more talented than any of our bottom 6.

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
It's about role and having more skilled players for that role like Ehelers and Perfetti.

If this team just stopped needing to build a third line around Lowry there would be a spir for him and all of our skilled guys. Why this org is so stubborn on this concept when almost every other team is moving to a three scoring line system is beyond me.
Yeah, call it line 3A and 3B if you want just disperse the minutes amongst all 4 lines a little more evenly. When one line is going on any given night their minutes can fluctuate.

The pieces are there just utilize them better. Shouldn’t have a line that plays less than 8 minutes in a game.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I’ve liked Svech much more than I thought I would. I think one of the things I appreciate about him is he understands his role on a line with Connor and PLD. He understands that he shouldn’t have the puck. Get it and give it to 80/81 and go to the net.

I like that he tries to ride the line of trying to drive the other team nuts. We saw it again last game where he got dropped on his arse right off the draw. Dont forget I said he “tries“ to ride the line and instead of letting that hit go and hope the refs call it next time he takes a slashing penalty.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think those come from his competitiveness - he'll likely improve that aspect. You see a guy like Dubois take penalties and I think if you try to curtail that too much you also limit his game. As for giveaways, I don't think they've been nearly as egregious as some like Shiefele, Ehlers and even Connor. What I like about Svech is how he busts his ass to correct his mistakes, which is more than we can say about a certain 55

This, absolutely. I really like his combo of skill and fire, and he's clearly a guy who hates to screw up and will fight like hell to cover a mistake -- to be fair, most of our 3rd/4th tweeners are conscientious, as are Dubois and Ehlers also.

I really hate the Jets' emphasis on hierarchy and seniority when it comes to expectations and reward. And I also hate their stubborn adherence to Wheeler X / Actually top line / Lowry X / 4-minute scrubs. Where has it gotten them? No other team in the fricken' league does it anymore, yet here we are game after game dragging out the same tired, ineffective structure.

Nintendo hockey was more fluid and creative -- the even had big/little options. Mind-boggling.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This, absolutely. I really like his combo of skill and fire, and he's clearly a guy who hates to screw up and will fight like hell to cover a mistake -- to be fair, most of our 3rd/4th tweeners are conscientious, as are Dubois and Ehlers also.

I really hate the Jets' emphasis on hierarchy and seniority when it comes to expectations and reward. And I also hate their stubborn adherence to Wheeler X / Actually top line / Lowry X / 4-minute scrubs. Where has it gotten them? No other team in the fricken' league does it anymore, yet here we are game after game dragging out the same tired, ineffective structure.

Nintendo hockey was more fluid and creative -- the even had big/little options. Mind-boggling.
I couldn't agree more.

In my dream world, we'd start 22-23 with a whole new coaching team, and they'd simply state: there are no lines or roles in TC. What you do will determine whether you get a letter or what line you're on. I don't care how much money you make or your tenure.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Svech is great at supporting the puck and playing in small spaces. He plays really well off PLD, especially along the wall and in the corners. Really good at driving lanes as well and creating space for his linemates. Dude is just a smart hockey player and has decent skills to go with it. He's not flashy so he'll always fail the eye candy test for those who judge things by those standards.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
If Svech didn’t take bad penalties and make so many bad giveaways, he’d be a sure fire top 6er
Just my opinion but I think he gets an unfair label in that regard. Andrew Ladd had a habit of doing the same and he kept getting first line minutes. Perception is reality as they say. 55 literally doesn't skate unless the Jets have the puck yet he's never been held to account by this coaching staff. My new favorite game other than Beyak Bingo, is to count the strides he takes in the defensive zone.

He wasn't drafted by the Jets, and is signed to a league minimum contract so it costs nothing in coaching capital to bench or scratch him despite his production and fancy stats being some of the best on this team.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Svech is great at supporting the puck and playing in small spaces. He plays really well off PLD, especially along the wall and in the corners. Really good at driving lanes as well and creating space for his linemates. Dude is just a smart hockey player and has decent skills to go with it. He's not flashy so he'll always fail the eye candy test for those who judge things by those standards.
Couldn't have said it better -
Sneaky smart and works hard - wins a lot of battles with a ready good stick - has an edge to his game - you can see why PLD and he did well together prior to the Jets - they compliment each other

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad