Player Discussion Evgenii Dadonov (RW)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Toffoli vs Dadonov

I heard Dorion tried on Toffoli.. not sure what it means but overpaying a little for Toffoli (28) ... just giving him Dadonov (32) money for 1 extra year might have got it done .. who knows.

Dadonov (9-2-11)
upload_2021-3-18_9-16-58.png

Toffoli (18-9-27)
upload_2021-3-18_9-17-45.png

Toffoli does not play that bumper like Dadonov (best in the NHL apparently) but he would have been such a nice addition.. to the RW and the PP1 or PP2.
I think he would have been a great fit here as well.

Clamoring for Dadonov to have better line mates ..
Galchenyuk has as many PP pts for Ottawa as Dadonov and Dadonov has been full PP1 all season .. with the best possible line mates on the team
13 minutes vs 120 minutes PP time

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Toffoli vs Dadonov

I heard Dorion tried on Toffoli.. not sure what it means but overpaying a little for Toffoli (28) ... just giving him Dadonov (32) money for 1 extra year might have got it done .. who knows.

Dadonov (9-2-11)
View attachment 409314
Toffoli (18-9-27)
View attachment 409315

Toffoli does not play that bumper like Dadonov (best in the NHL apparently) but he would have been such a nice addition.. to the RW and the PP1 or PP2.

Galchenyuk has as many PP pts for Ottawa as Dadonov and Dadonov has been full PP1 all season .. with the best possible line mates on the team
I really appreciate that Galchenyuk mention

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Toffoli vs Dadonov

Dadonov (9-2-11)
View attachment 409314
Toffoli (18-9-27)
View attachment 409315

Hope that Dadonov's point production increases over the remaining games. It would help and be a small positive in an otherwise not so good season.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Toffoli does not play that bumper like Dadonov (best in the NHL apparently)

Dadonov doesn't even touch the puck on the PP unless he is helping recover it, facing the boards and getting it to someone else.

It might help the PP if we find a way to use him a bit just so teams think he is an option - he missed a few really great looks and it seems like he is now there just for show, he isn't even a decoy as we never pass it to him.

His decision making with the puck isn't up to a level I expected either though, he holds it too long and generally doesn't appear to see plays develop all that well.

A guy can only try hard and not produce for so long - no issue if we could trade him this year and we probably should expose him if we don't.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Dadonov doesn't even touch the puck on the PP unless he is helping recover it, facing the boards and getting it to someone else.

It might help the PP if we find a way to use him a bit just so teams think he is an option - he missed a few really great looks and it seems like he is now there just for show, he isn't even a decoy as we never pass it to him.

His decision making with the puck isn't up to a level I expected either though, he holds it too long and generally doesn't appear to see plays develop all that well.

A guy can only try hard and not produce for so long - no issue if we could trade him this year and we probably should expose him if we don't.

My biggest frustration is it seems almost every time he's in a good shooting spot, he whiffs on the puck or falls over or some crap like that lol.

He works his tail off but doesn't get a whole lot accomplished out there.

Reactions: NyQuil

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
My biggest frustration is it seems almost every time he's in a good shooting spot, he whiffs on the puck or falls over or some crap like that lol.

He works his tail off but doesn't get a whole lot accomplished out there.
He absolutely did, or missed the net while being wide open in the high slot...they should get it to him there again though and it will help open up the cross ice options more.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's funny because he has a bit of a motor and usually with underperforming offensive contributors, it's easy to portray them as lazy.

But he's not contributing offensively enough, I think that's apparent. He doesn't seem to get to the net area enough, which is funny, because he doesn't necessarily mind playing along the boards or in the corner.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Torts told me that he doesn't think Dadonov knows how to play hockey & he's proving Torts right. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
His line with Paul and white has been good. I don’t have an issue with the way he is playing, I think he’ll be better next season

Dadonov is 32 now and will be 33 and 34 during the next two seasons. I doubt he will get better as he ages.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

~66 5v5 mins with Tkachuk, 55 with Norris, and 49 with Stützle. Not really a long tryout.

I think the biggest problem is he hasn't done much on the PP, whether that's because the system we use doesn't maximize his skillset or just because he is struggling.

I think putting Stützle with him and White could be a way to get more offense out of him once White is back, alternatively we could sub him in as the center on that line.

Maybe try this until White is back...

Tkachuk-Norris-Brown
Paul-Stützle-Dadonov
Dzingel-Tierney-Batherson
Peca-Bishop-Watson

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's still a great player, just doesn't mesh well with a bunch of grinders, who would have thunk it.

I was super excited for Dadonov cause I thought it mean Logan Brown was going to play extended time in NHL. Two disappointments at once.

The issue is bigger than that IMO. I agree with him being a decent fit with Brown but he hasn't been able to create anything by himself at any point this season. It's one thing to be a scorer but it's a whole other thing to not even look like a NHL player when you're not attached to top tier players.

The guy has played with Tkachuk, Norris, Stutzle, Paul, White... pretty much everyone. We can't offer him more than that and these are decent players. He should be able to create a little at least. He looks disengaged, can't win puck battles, offside, doesn't skate, soft passes... It's next level bad.

Reactions: Adrianopolous

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He's still a great player, just doesn't mesh well with a bunch of grinders, who would have thunk it.

I was super excited for Dadonov cause I thought it mean Logan Brown was going to play extended time in NHL. Two disappointments at once.

He is no where near a great player and right now is far closer to a flat out bad player than even a good player.

Again brutal decisions all over the ice and stripped of the puck with ease on the boards.

His bread and butter of one-timer from the slot is laughable. Fanned on another one with absolutely nobody near him.

He is brutal right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad