OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is unfortunate news.

Hard to blame countries restricting export of vaccines though, I'd expect us to do the same until we had enough for ourselves.

It definitely sounds like the situation in India is ***** and that isn't great in terms of giving the virus opportunities to mutate.

We've been lucky that none of the mutations we've seen so far have invalidated the vaccines. Maybe this virus doesn't mutate well but I'd rather not try our luck...

More data is required ..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/variant-covid-19-quebec-mauricie-india-b1617-1.5996882
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/deena-hinshaw-covid-alberta-1.5997777
Everything we know about the Indian COVID-19 variant so far

I believe Moderna and Pfizer have both said a booster would be required... perhaps annually.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
4 per million AZ

There is more than one kind of clot. For instance, the cerebral style clot is 4 per million with Pfizer/Moderna and for AZ it is 5 per million....

I would have zero issue with my daughter having the AZ. Just like myself having it. I've taken birth control, I've gone on over seas flights, I've been overweight, I've been pregnant..... .

Read Section 7 (i) of our Charter. Our government is responsible to protect us from accidental or purposeful death. T.............

Having heart issues does not increase the risk of vaccine side effects. Having heart issues increases the risk of severe COVID.

We have a 5 dollar solution that has clot risks..we have a 10 dollar solution that has clot risks..both are older technology vaccines.
We have a 25 dollar solution and a 35 dollar, no risks (at least that we know of).,,they have delivery issues, storage issues, etc...I get it. They are also new technology who we do not fully understand yet (Although, I get it. Others will argue differently).

we are rationalizing based upon; acceptable risk...the military calls it; collateral damage...I call it people dying....

All to be cheap. Insane!!!!!!

It is disgraceful how the government is treating this.... Minimizing the risk is ridicules... let the facts come out. Give people options..get your sorry ass going on getting enough Moderna and Pfizer to minimize the use of AZ and J&J.

Do not change your recommendations, keep them at 55 and older for AZ and J&J, so that we are not sacrificing a 35 year old for her 90 year old Grandmother. As a minimum, give that 35 year old a choice. Let her make the proper one based upon understanding the risks. This way, she and all those with medical issues/concerns can make a good decision.

for $5 versus $35 (plus the $100 for cold storage etc.). So for $5 versus $135 we are okay with a few hundred to a few thousand 18-45 year olds having issues..But 70-90 olds will be okay...F'ng lovely.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
We have a 5 dollar solution that has clot risks..we have a 10 dollar solution that has clot risks..both are older technology vaccines.
We have a 25 dollar solution and a 35 dollar, no risks (at least that we know of).,,they have delivery issues, storage issues, etc...I get it. They are also new technology who we do not fully understand yet (Although, I get it. Others will argue differently).

we are rationalizing based upon; acceptable risk...the military calls it; collateral damage...I call it people dying....

All to be cheap. Insane!!!!!!

It is disgraceful how the government is treating this.... Minimizing the risk is ridicules... let the facts come out. Give people options..get your sorry ass going on getting enough Moderna and Pfizer to minimize the use of AZ and J&J.

Do not change your recommendations, keep them at 55 and older for AZ and J&J, so that we are not sacrificing a 35 year old for her 90 year old Grandmother. As a minimum, give that 35 year old a choice. Let her make the proper one based upon understanding the risks. This way, she and all those with medical issues/concerns can make a good decision.

for $5 versus $35 (plus the $100 for cold storage etc.). So for $5 versus $135 we are okay with a few hundred to a few thousand 18-45 year olds having issues..But 70-90 olds will be okay...F'ng lovely.
It’s not about money. The risk of blood clot is extremely low, the chances of getting covid and having a worse symptom from it is much higher than getting a blood clot from the vaccine.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
As for the vaxx rollout.....we could've done both. Half the vaccine goes to the senior crowd, and the other half first come first serve (with a heavy lean toward first responders and front line folks to start). That way, you have a good focus on seniors, while also getting an early start on the general population. It never had to be one or the other.

But why? If mass vaccination as quickly as possible is the most effective approach from a public health standpoint then what's the benefit of half measures?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Is the Ottawa housing market madness COVID related (people looking for more space and working from home) or just low rates and stimulus and pent up savings.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
COVID-19 Vaccine

For anyone that thinks that they are part of any type of healthcare can sign up to get the Pfizer at that link. I know many that have and got a call within a week and their initial shot a few days later.

Worst case is you sign up and don't get the call.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Signed up earlier this week, can't wait.

I will be rushing to get it the second I’m eligible.

thank you and I hope a good 20-30 million others do. It will stop covid.

and I will get all the flak on earth for this, but who cares..Thanks for being Guinea pig. I will see what the world is like in 2-3 months and see what decision I need to make. The more that people volunteer for the army, the less they need to draft.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Beech said:
thank you and I hope a good 20-30 million others do. It will stop covid.

and I will get all the flak on earth for this, but who cares..Thanks for being Guinea pig. I will see what the world is like in 2-3 months and see what decision I need to make. The more that people volunteer for the army, the less they need to draft.

You are most welcome.

It's my pleasure to assist with your safety and those of others, particularly those unable to contribute to herd immunity for legitimate reasons like having immuno-compromised conditions.

It's a fairly selfless act with an extremely low degree of risk and it's my obligation to help out where I can as a member of society.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Love how they quote a "law professor and drug-policy expert" who suggests that unused doses of the drug should be thrown away because you "can't inspect in quality".

Yup, that's who I want pushing public health policy. A lawyer. In academia.
The lawsuits for the thalidomide issues are still ongoing. Thalidomide babies and grandchildren and so on are still here.

Had a lawyer in academia, and not a business man in politics made the decision...well.

There are a few thousand such issues over the last 100 years.

read up on thalidomide and when the government knew and did not stop it..a solid 2 years!!!!!!!

Agent Orange, a good 3 years. Agent Orange plant is in a town North of Waterloo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
read up on thalidomide and when the government knew and did not stop it..a solid 2 years!!!!!!!

Agent Orange, a good 3 years. Agent Orange plant is in a town North of Waterloo.

My wife acted in cases related to both Agent Orange testing in the Maritimes and the use of thalidomide in largely rural areas after it was taken off the market in Canada.

I'll wager that I know a great deal more about both of them than you do.

Anyway, it's your privilege to let others carry the burden for you. Your thanks are appreciated.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The lawsuits for the thalidomide issues are still ongoing. Thalidomide babies and grandchildren and so on are still here.

Had a lawyer in academia, and not a business man in politics made the decision...well.

There are a few thousand such issues over the last 100 years.

I have to ask... you are aware how unhinged you're coming across here, right? You're ranting about the cost of vaccines that have a tremendous safety record and Agent Orange at a time when people are dying due to (among other things) lack of vaccination options and baseless conspiracy theories being peddled to undercut confidence.

Reactions: pzeeman and Smeddy

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I have to ask... you are aware how unhinged you're coming across here, right? You're ranting about the cost of vaccines that have a tremendous safety record and Agent Orange at a time when people are dying due to (among other things) lack of vaccination options and baseless conspiracy theories being peddled to undercut confidence.
I think one thing this pandemic has done is driven a number of people from within the "normal" range of thinking into what you have termed as "unhinged".

Hopefully, when the pandemic is over those people will return to normal. Unfortunately, I suspect many will not.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I think one thing this pandemic has done is driven a number of people from within the "normal" range of thinking into what you have termed as "unhinged".

Hopefully, when the pandemic is over those people will return to normal. Unfortunately, I suspect many will not.

I don't think as a thought it's all that "unhinged" maybe only if you're overestimating the possibility of it happening based on a couple off hand previous scenarios, I just think it's a very unlikely scenario for the vaccines with all the checks and balances we have today. People have messed up before and it's human tendency to focus on ST solutions that looking back on in hindsight many would think, "what were they thinking, could they not see the train coming?".

Anyways, my point was, if having that thought come up at some point is unhinged, then I'm unhinged, because I think it's totally possible humanity could be the author of its own demise someday.

But I don't think this is that time. Looking at the risk profile of vaccine or covid, right now the vaccine is far and away the logical choice and I plan to get mine when I have the chance.

The only worry I have is in the repeat dosages and the boosters + the quick approval they'll be getting. I believe MRNA has been around for awhile just never used in humans. I think the safety profile had been called into question mainly due to toxicity at large doses in animals, but right now there are tens of millions of people out there proving that the currently approved doses are fine.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You are most welcome.

It's my pleasure to assist with your safety and those of others, particularly those unable to contribute to herd immunity for legitimate reasons like having immuno-compromised conditions.

It's a fairly selfless act with an extremely low degree of risk and it's my obligation to help out where I can as a member of society.

Well played. You forgot the fu but i guess it was implied

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Got vaccinated last night! My wife as well. It is a relief and hopefully not too many side effects. So far aso good 15 hours later. My wife had some chills and fatigue, but not much else at this point ( and he had hers 6 hours ahead of me)

Right on! Are you tired at all today? I had no chills or aches but holy crap i was tired the next day.

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad