OT: Everything COVID19 - PART 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
This article is discussing the idea of some kind of proof of vaccination which is somewhat what i was talking about the other day with a registry

CBC.ca: Don't want the COVID-19 vaccine? You could lose access to normal life, says U.K. minister.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-vaccine-covid-19-restaurants-bars-blocked-1.5822648

so when the vaccine wears off people need to take new jabs and keep there vaccination papers up to date

it won’t be my fight but the protests should be epic

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This article is discussing the idea of some kind of proof of vaccination which is somewhat what i was talking about the other day with a registry

CBC.ca: Don't want the COVID-19 vaccine? You could lose access to normal life, says U.K. minister.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/uk-vaccine-covid-19-restaurants-bars-blocked-1.5822648
As Orwell's 1984 Turns 70 It Predicted Much Of Today's Surveillance Society

960x0.jpg

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think Huxley was probably more accurate in his depiction of the dystopian future than Orwell but nonetheless there's key elements of both authors in the realities we face today.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Good Lord people stop....Have not been paying attention to what is happening around you?

This thing has the vulnerable scared to death..the roughly 15% of society most susceptible. The above 65 and/or dealing with health issues are scared to death of this. And so, that group which has children, grand-children and so influences a solid 70-80% of society is being targeted by this virus and is reacting.

Politicians may be a lot of things, unaware of who elects them is not one of them.

this is not about George Orwell or any crap. This is about governments realizing that their bread and butter is being attacked.....20-50 year olds do not vote. 50-90 year olds do. And so, that group, which is perfectly willing to line up at the voting booth a good 1/2 hour before it opens needs and wants absolute protection.

Heck, take away Trudeau and his otherwise youthful-self, many politicians are themselves in their 60's and 70's and scared to death. Even Trudeau has a near 80 year old mother and in-laws in their 70's.

Yes, a vaccine will be imposed. Yes, any and all measures will be taken.....This virus f***ed with the wrong group. And any action that will not offer them 100% safety and security will be met with a harsh response from them.

take a look at the US elections. the above 65 group swing bidden's way the most. They were shitting in their pants.
upload_2020-12-1_10-43-45.png

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think Huxley was probably more accurate in his depiction of the dystopian future than Orwell but nonetheless there's key elements of both authors in the realities we face today.
I just read Bradbury's "Farenheit 451" and it is insane how many elements of our current society he predicted.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Good Lord people stop....Have not been paying attention to what is happening around you?

This thing has the vulnerable scared to death..the roughly 15% of society most susceptible. The above 65 and/or dealing with health issues are scared to death of this. And so, that group which has children, grand-children and so influences a solid 70-80% of society is being targeted by this virus and is reacting.

Politicians may be a lot of things, unaware of who elects them is not one of them.

this is not about George Orwell or any crap. This is about governments realizing that their bread and butter is being attacked.....20-50 year olds do not vote. 50-90 year olds do. And so, that group, which is perfectly willing to line up at the voting booth a good 1/2 hour before it opens needs and wants absolute protection.

Heck, take away Trudeau and his otherwise youthful-self, many politicians are themselves in their 60's and 70's and scared to death. Even Trudeau has a near 80 year old mother and in-laws in their 70's.

Yes, a vaccine will be imposed. Yes, any and all measures will be taken.....This virus f***ed with the wrong group. And any action that will not offer them 100% safety and security will be met with a harsh response from them.

take a look at the US elections. the above 65 group swing bidden's way the most. They were shitting in their pants.
View attachment 377791

but you see the younger people have tuned out the government and begun living life like normal... I see it everyday

the government has lost its credibility and people are on the verge of mutiny

you read the food bank stories in Toronto... the government just took all those people livelihoods away right before Christmas ... this is how mutinies start

it’s not going to be pretty soon

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

hospitals are already at capacity so any additional strain will have people dying

hopefully after this is over we spend some dollars on actually expanding capacity across the board in hospitals. I doubt it happens though atleast not long term as people will then whine about how much is being spent

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
but you see the younger people have tuned out the government and begun living life like normal... I see it everyday

the government has lost its credibility and people are on the verge of mutiny

you read the food bank stories in Toronto... the government just took all those people livelihoods away right before Christmas ... this is how mutinies start

it’s not going to be pretty soon

A politician lives in the immediate. Two terms in Parliament and you get a full pension And priority to many government jobs. An aspiring Minister, PM, Premier, Mayor, etc. wants his two terms as well. So, who votes? The above 50 crowd. Who influences, the above 50 crowd. I listen to my Mother, not my Nephew..Who do I fear for? my mother, not my Nephew...the long and short. Power is in the hands of the elderly and vulnerable and they protect it.

f*** with them and they will hand you your ass. Never believe for one moment that a politician cares about anything other than getting elected. A politician not in office is: Nothing.

So, politicians are extra careful to make sure that the roughly 15% is well cared for and well catered to.

Young people tuned government out decades ago...ALL IT DID IS: shift the voting demographic up and further empowered the elderly and further dammed the young. It is why, the young get sent off to war and used and abused.

Yes, it will get ugly. And that will harden the elderly even more and make it even more difficult on the young. The mutiny is from that 20-30% not influenced by the vulnerable. It will be crushed by the 70-80%. Doug Ford is more preoccupied by his 95 year old Mother in law, than by a 20 something. The 20 something most likely did not vote the last elections.

to all Mellenials and Gen Z..do yourselves a favor. VOTE. Participate...you are the biggest group. Power should be in your hands. No politician should be in office that is older than 40.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
A politician lives in the immediate. Two terms in Parliament and you get a full pension And priority to many government jobs. An aspiring Minister, PM, Premier, Mayor, etc. wants his two terms as well. So, who votes? The above 50 crowd. Who influences, the above 50 crowd. I listen to my Mother, not my Nephew..Who do I fear for? my mother, not my Nephew...the long and short. Power is in the hands of the elderly and vulnerable and they protect it.

f*** with them and they will hand you your ass. Never believe for one moment that a politician cares about anything other than getting elected. A politician not in office is: Nothing.

So, politicians are extra careful to make sure that that roughly 15% is well cared for and well catered to.

Young people tuned government out decades ago...ALL IT DID IS: shift the voting demographic up and further empowered the elderly and further dammed the young. It is why, the young get sent off to war and used and abused.

Yes, it will get ugly. And that will harden the elderly even more and make it even more difficult on the young. The mutiny is from that 20-30% not influenced by the vulnerable. It will be crushed by the 70-80%. Doug Ford is more preoccupied by his 95 year old Mother in law, than by a 20 something. The 20 something most likely did not vote the last elections.

to all Mellenials and Gen Z..do yourselves a favor. VOTE. Participate...you are the biggest group. Power should be in your hands. No politician should be in office that is older than 40.
200.gif

Reactions: thinkwild

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
you need not worry. Young people will not change and then a wonderful thing happens. They age and become us.. All the while, they bitch that they are not listened to or treated fairly...They do nothing about it though...Us old folks are wise owls. We make sure we are listened to..It is why come election day, I am at the voting booth bright and early... Grey power rules.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Crap is the USA ever getting hit..Still between 4-7 hours in the day and they are rapidly approaching record days for deaths and near record for cases.

Man, can we be seeing the affects of Thanksgiving already?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Crap is the USA ever getting hit..Still between 4-7 hours in the day and they are rapidly approaching record days for deaths and near record for cases.

Man, can we be seeing the affects of Thanksgiving already?

I believe part of it is catching up from delays in reporting on and around the holiday.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's going to be depressing reading all the revisionism 3-5 years down the road when we start understanding the long-term impacts this illness has on people who contracted it. Human beings have never learned their lesson about anything - not disease, not poverty, not famine, not war, not climate destruction, not fascism, not racism. Not. A. Single. Thing. Doomed to perpetually repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again.

Some day though we won't have the opportunity to learn from our last mistake.

This thread is the literal embodiment of that. Selfishness and willful ignorance on an unbelievable scale.

How do you begin to fix a problem when people can't even agree what the problem is in the first place?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's going to be depressing reading all the revisionism 3-5 years down the road when we start understanding the long-term impacts this illness has on people who contracted it. Human beings have never learned their lesson about anything - not disease, not poverty, not famine, not war, not climate destruction, not fascism, not racism. Not. A. Single. Thing. Doomed to perpetually repeat the same mistakes over and over and over again.

This thread is the literal embodiment of that. Selfishness and willful ignorance on an unbelievable scale.

How do you begin to fix a problem when people can't even agree what the problem is in the first place?

That's life. Many many different views on what the problem is.

Fortunately we live in a part of the world where people are free to express their views

Reactions: Stylizer1

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
‘Bout time...

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5823063

The head of the world's largest humanitarian network is urging governments and institutions to combat "fake news" about COVID-19 vaccines, which has become "a second pandemic," and start building trust in communities around the world about the critical importance of vaccinating people.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
‘Bout time...

The head of the world's largest humanitarian network is urging governments and institutions to combat "fake news" about COVID-19 vaccines, which has become "a second pandemic," and start building trust in communities around the world about the critical importance of vaccinating people.

Every time i read or hear the words "Fake News" i want to launch the person saying them into orbit. While it's true misinformation is a real problem and in a sense it's own sort of pandemic, the ubiquitous use of the term "Fake News" and it's pervision into becoming a label for any information factual or not that is either disagreable or simply inconvienient to you is in itself becoming a pandemic of stupidity imo. The use of the term dilutes it's true meaning and normalizes real life examples of unfactual news/misinformation delivered under the guise of news and that does serious real world harm.

/rant

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Every time i read or hear the words "Fake News" i want to launch the person saying them into orbit. While it's true misinformation is a real problem and in a sense it's own sort of pandemic, the ubiquitous use of the term "Fake News" and it's pervision into becoming a label for any information factual or not that is either disagreable or simply inconvienient to you is in itself becoming a pandemic of stupidity imo. The use of the term dilutes it's true meaning and normalizes real life examples of unfactual news/misinformation delivered under the guise of news and that does serious real world harm.

/rant
History will tell if something is fake news or not, not individuals with skin in the game. Weapons of mass destruction?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That's life. Many many different views on what the problem is.

Fortunately we live in a part of the world where people are free to express their views
You see, here's the thing though...having the freedom to express our views is kind of code for "this is what I believe and that's that". If you are not a person who is educated about the subject at hand, and I would wager that 99%+ of the population don't know the first thing about modern medicine or infectious diseases, then you shouldn't "express your view" because your view is dogshit compared to the view of real professionals.

Every time someone says "free speech" or "freedom of expression" I cringe a little bit because those terms have been co-opted to mean "my opinion is important too". It's almost certainly not.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
you need not worry. Young people will not change and then a wonderful thing happens. They age and become us.. All the while, they bitch that they are not listened to or treated fairly...They do nothing about it though...Us old folks are wise owls. We make sure we are listened to..It is why come election day, I am at the voting booth bright and early... Grey power rules.

To say young people do nothing about it is patently false. When they do act, they are still laughed at because it's the old that are pulling the economic strings, the only thing that really matters at the end of the day, especially for politicians. And now when the internet and social media start to have some power, and thus the young, oh how the old people whine about it

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

/rant

You sure it isn't Trump you want to launch into orbit?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

We're pretty good in things like technology. Regarding emotional intelligence, not as much it seems. And look at history, how could you even sacrifice human beings to make it rain? How could you bury women and children alive? Or gas them in chambers? Or could you allow genocides and the holocaust? How can you abuse little children? Rape a woman? Or even be cruel towards animals? Destroy nature? Etc. Humanity has been sick for a long time, the earth sees us as a true parasite.

The problem has always been human nature. Greed, pride, envy, anger, sloth, gluttony, lust are stuff that leads people into selfishness.

Don't worry, most people totally understand how bad the pandemic has been and how much worse it could have been if nothing was done to prevent the spread. There's literally just one person in my whole circle that still "don't get it". if there's more, they surely haven't told me. Some people still think this pandemic is some sort of "gaslighting" event

‘Bout time...

Actually, if everyone who cares about life is protected with a 100% working vaccine, then anti-vaxxers and conspirationists can do whatever they want, no? If they want to hurt themselves because they don't trust neutral sources that have nothing to gain but want to help people, it's their choice, no?

Personally, if I ruled the world, I would just send everybody like that on their own island so they'd be together in their "free world" to have their own society without law and order. On our side, we could actually move things the right way father and faster. Everyone is happy!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You sure it isn't Trump you want to launch into orbit?
The whole "Fake News" term and anyone using it can go, it is pervasive across all ideologies and makes me take the person saying it a little less seriously every single time i hear it.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
The whole "Fake News" term and anyone using it can go, it is pervasive across all ideologies and makes me take the person saying it a little less seriously every single time i hear it.

What if it's used to describe actual "fake news"? It drives me crazy when people use the term to describe legitimate news sources. When it's used to describe wacky websites, it's a pretty accurate term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad